Bashing of any skater should be banned

Bashing of any skater should be banned

Post by Gareth Lypk » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00


After many days that I have been involved with the messages with Tara
bashing for and against, I say we should all keep our opinions to
ourself about the skaters for our own enjoyment of the news group. The
reason why is because so many people like or dislike every skater there
is and we would all be in mass chaos fighting for our skaters. We all
have many diffrent opinions on all the skaters ie. like them or not, but
we should not be fighting about this foolishness. So if you agree please
don't write any more responses to the Tara bashing or any other opinions
of the skaters so we can all enjoy our time reading the news

-Gareth

 
 
 

Bashing of any skater should be banned

Post by bobekbc.. » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>After many days that I have been involved with the messages with Tara
>bashing for and against, I say we should all keep our opinions to
>ourself about the skaters for our own enjoyment of the news group. The
>reason why is because so many people like or dislike every skater there
>is and we would all be in mass chaos fighting for our skaters. We all
>have many diffrent opinions on all the skaters ie. like them or not, but
>we should not be fighting about this foolishness. So if you agree please
>don't write any more responses to the Tara bashing or any other opinions
>of the skaters so we can all enjoy our time reading the news

>-Gareth

Hi Gareth,
  I have not and shall not partisipate in the threads you speak of in your post. And although I most certainly agree that *Tara bashing* has gotten out of hand (ie: *I Hate Tara*), *keeping our
opinions to ourselves* sorta contradicts the whole purpose of this or any other newsgroup. Freedom of speech may often times be freedom to be silly or down right mean, but it has to be that way. For
the most part, people who post or make responses to threads on this newsgroup tend to be thoughtful, insightful, knowledgeable, and courteous. Me being the exception of course. ;-) But the exchange
of thoughts and ideas must also include those who may somtimes include certain, strong words and phrases you and/or I do not like. The word *HATE* quickly comes to mind. I have my favorite(s) but I
don`t hate any skater. I am amazed to hear that some folks do. I may not like it , but they DO have a right to express themselves in any manner they see fit. I choose not to responde to those kind of
posts because I do not find them appropriate. But your suggestion, whether intentional or not, borders on censorship and I could NEVER agree to that, ever.

*Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth,
          and every other man has a right to knock him down for it.*
                                                           Samuel Johnson:
                                                           in Boswell`s Life
                                                                    1780

TAKE CARE,
R.B.M.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Keaton always said,
"I don`t believe in God but I`m afraid of him."
Well I believe in God.
And the only thing that scares me is Keyser Souse.  
-------------

 
 
 

Bashing of any skater should be banned

Post by cmmcg.. » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

> After many days that I have been involved with the messages with Tara
> bashing for and against, I say we should all keep our opinions to
> ourself about the skaters for our own enjoyment of the news group.

I have no problem with someone saying "I do not enjoy watching so and so,
but not if they leave it at that(which many did with the I hate Tara
posts). Explain why you feel it this way. Also have enough class not to
say 'I hate Tara.' Use something nicer like 'I dislike her skating for
this reason.' I don not enjoy certian skaters, but I don't hate them. How
can I hate someone I don't know? I am not a fan of Elvis or Nicole Bobek,
but I don't hate them.

 The

Quote:
> reason why is because so many people like or dislike every skater there
> is and we would all be in mass chaos fighting for our skaters.

True. Someone wrote "Elvis Rules." I had the urge to post "Alexsei
Rules."but there is no sense. Then there will be "Todd Rules, etc.."It
will never end.

We all

Quote:
> have many diffrent opinions on all the skaters ie. like them or not, but
> we should not be fighting about this foolishness. So if you agree please
> don't write any more responses to the Tara bashing or any other opinions
> of the skaters so we can all enjoy our time reading the news

 I can't imagine how someone can hate a person who has done no wrong, and
someone they have never met before.. She won the Worlds, Nationals, and
CSF. She skated well while others faultered. Sure I would have loved
someone else to win, but I don't hate her. I don't hate Elvis for winning
the Worlds, but I simply dislike his skating.  Christina

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

 
 
 

Bashing of any skater should be banned

Post by Martha Harri » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> *Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth,
>           and every other man has a right to knock him down for it.*
>                                Samuel Johnson:
>                                             in Boswell`s Life
>                                             1780

"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right
to say it"
        - Voltaire

Martha

 
 
 

Bashing of any skater should be banned

Post by bobekbc.. » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Please forgive me if this is a repeat.

   * Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth,
               and every other man has a right to knock him down for it.*

                                                                   Samuel Johnson:
                                                                   in Boswell`s LIFE
                                                                            1780
TAKE CARE,
R.B.M.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Keaton always said,
"I don`t believe in God but I`m afraid of him."
Well I believe in God.
And the only thing that scares me is Keyser Souse.  
-------------

 
 
 

Bashing of any skater should be banned

Post by Sara Freem » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>After many days that I have been involved with the messages with Tara
>bashing for and against, I say we should all keep our opinions to
>ourself about the skaters for our own enjoyment of the news group. The
>reason why is because so many people like or dislike every skater
there
>is and we would all be in mass chaos fighting for our skaters. We all
>have many diffrent opinions on all the skaters ie. like them or not,
but
>we should not be fighting about this foolishness. So if you agree
please
>don't write any more responses to the Tara bashing or any other
opinions
>of the skaters so we can all enjoy our time reading the news

>-Gareth

You sure as hell miss the point of usenet.
--
"Come out and admire me now because I won't be back for 2,400 years."--Hale-Bopp
 
 
 

Bashing of any skater should be banned

Post by Melanie Shulm » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:



>> After many days that I have been involved with the messages with Tara
>> bashing for and against, I say we should all keep our opinions to
>> ourself about the skaters for our own enjoyment of the news group.

What the heck is this internet thing for then?  I'm not a person who
generally "bashes" any of the skaters - but I respect other's rights to -
even in stupid ridiculous messages that say nothing or are completely
rude (like some of the Tara ones that've been up).  If you dislike what a
person has to say then respond to that - or use the ignore it and the
person will go away strategy. If we don't talk about our opinions on the
skaters what are we going to talk about?*** Button I guess...Hee hee!

Quote:
>True. Someone wrote "Elvis Rules." I had the urge to post "Alexsei
>Rules."but there is no sense. Then there will be "Todd Rules, etc.."It
>will never end.

As the person who posted the "Elvis Rules" topic I will just say that I
would've welcomed a response of Todd Rules or whatever else.  The title
of the post was Elvis Rules, but the content talked about his skate.
Elvis is my current favorite amateur - why shouldn't I name him? It's not
like the topic was "Elvis Rules and You Must All Agree With Me or I'll
Find You And Kill You". Isn't the point to discuss things like our fave
skaters and competitions and programs and stuff? I agree that people who
bash and say totally rude things suck - but I'd rather read them than
posts about banning them.
Melanie
 
 
 

Bashing of any skater should be banned

Post by Kathleen Bratt » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> >After many days that I have been involved with the messages with Tara
> >bashing for and against, I say we should all keep our opinions to
> >ourself about the skaters for our own enjoyment of the news group. The
> >reason why is because so many people like or dislike every skater there
> >is and we would all be in mass chaos fighting for our skaters. We all
> >have many diffrent opinions on all the skaters ie. like them or not, but
> >we should not be fighting about this foolishness. So if you agree please
> >don't write any more responses to the Tara bashing or any other opinions
> >of the skaters so we can all enjoy our time reading the news

> >-Gareth

Alas, if we don't post our opinions about the skaters, then what do we
post about?  No opinions on Woodchuck and Platypus?  No opinions on Tara?
On Elvis?  No discussion of who has the best spins/jumps/footwork?  Life
would indeed be dreary.

That said, it makes sense for people to back up their opinions with some
evidence, and to try to concentrate on expressing opinions about the
skaters and something they did (i.e., their *skating*) or said, rather
than the more amorphous "I hate _________."

-- Kate

 
 
 

Bashing of any skater should be banned

Post by HILL JANET SW » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Gareth:

Quote:
>>After many days that I have been involved with the messages with Tara
>>bashing for and against, I say we should all keep our opinions to
>>ourself about the skaters for our own enjoyment of the news group.
>>So if you agree please don't write any more responses to the Tara
>>bashing or any other opinions
>>of the skaters so we can all enjoy our time reading the news

While I appreciate your discomfort and irritation at "skater bashing", I'd
like to point out that if this newsgroup included only "news", it would be
a great deal less interesting.  But there is a world of difference between
"bashing" and discussing.

R.B.M:  But the exchange of thoughts and ideas must also

Quote:
> include those who may somtimes include certain, strong words and phrases
> you and/or I do not like. The word *HATE* quickly comes to mind.

It mystifies me, and it makes me really uncomfortable.  How in the world
could anyone "hate" a skater that they don't even know?  If they really
can/do "hate" someone based on seeing them on TV, then I find that scarey,
and begin to think about obsessions and stalkers ....

But perhaps this is just careless usage.  Perhaps it's just that people
who use the term don't have the ability (or have the ability but don't
take the trouble) to express themselves more rationally.  That's what I'd
rather believe.

I agree with Gareth, though, that one method of decreasing the traffic of
messages that bother you, is to resist responding to them. It's not just
that there is ONE less message to read, but since each message posted has
the potential to inspire LOTS of responses, it may make a big difference
in total traffic on the topic.

        janet

sorry for lack of skating content.