British Skating Viewers - Worlds 2002

British Skating Viewers - Worlds 2002

Post by Antho » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 00:58:21


Has anyone seen any terrestrial tv listings for the worlds this year?

I've looked in the tv papers and also trawled through the bbc website
and looked at the listings every day for the rest of the week for bbc1
and 2 and it appears that there's no coverage scheduled for the worlds
- what is going on? Does anyone know if they're just going to show
them later on?

Anthony

 
 
 

British Skating Viewers - Worlds 2002

Post by Saki Hajna » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 01:25:03

I think they may have decided not to cover it, so soon after the skating
coverage of the Olympics. Perhaps they assume (wrongly) that viewers are not
"really" interested in skating - they never seem to decide not to show
football because there has been a lot on recently :-)

I have no evidence for this theory - just the absence of coverage.

Saki


Quote:
> Has anyone seen any terrestrial tv listings for the worlds this year?

> I've looked in the tv papers and also trawled through the bbc website
> and looked at the listings every day for the rest of the week for bbc1
> and 2 and it appears that there's no coverage scheduled for the worlds
> - what is going on? Does anyone know if they're just going to show
> them later on?

> Anthony


 
 
 

British Skating Viewers - Worlds 2002

Post by John » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 05:42:50


Quote:
> I think they may have decided not to cover it, so soon after the skating
> coverage of the Olympics. Perhaps they assume (wrongly) that viewers are
not
> "really" interested in skating - they never seem to decide not to show
> football because there has been a lot on recently :-)

> I have no evidence for this theory - just the absence of coverage.

You are right, I actually have that first hand from a certain BBC
commentator (don't ask why!), that and the lack of British interest.

John

 
 
 

British Skating Viewers - Worlds 2002

Post by Antho » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:40:17

Quote:



> > I think they may have decided not to cover it, so soon after the skating
> > coverage of the Olympics. Perhaps they assume (wrongly) that viewers are
>  not
> > "really" interested in skating - they never seem to decide not to show
> > football because there has been a lot on recently :-)

> > I have no evidence for this theory - just the absence of coverage.

> You are right, I actually have that first hand from a certain BBC
> commentator (don't ask why!), that and the lack of British interest.

> John

You're kidding they're not actually going to cover the worlds at all?
That is ridiculous - how much football and rugby do they show and then
considering they only ever cover the European and worlds in a season
that's disgraceful. I've been to the bbc website and left a complaint
- maybe time to write to points of view!

Anthony

 
 
 

British Skating Viewers - Worlds 2002

Post by John » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:02:48


Quote:
> You're kidding they're not actually going to cover the worlds at all?
> That is ridiculous - how much football and rugby do they show and then
> considering they only ever cover the European and worlds in a season
> that's disgraceful. I've been to the bbc website and left a complaint
> - maybe time to write to points of view!

Well he told me that the powers that be at the BBC aren't particularly
interested in skating and that we are lucky to get what we do, if it wasn't
for influential people like him pushing skating's case we wouldn't get any.

John

 
 
 

British Skating Viewers - Worlds 2002

Post by Joan » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:51:22



Quote:


> > > I think they may have decided not to cover it, so soon after the
skating
> > > coverage of the Olympics. Perhaps they assume (wrongly) that viewers
are
> >  not
> > > "really" interested in skating - they never seem to decide not to show
> > > football because there has been a lot on recently :-)

> > > I have no evidence for this theory - just the absence of coverage.

> > You are right, I actually have that first hand from a certain BBC
> > commentator (don't ask why!), that and the lack of British interest.

> > John

> You're kidding they're not actually going to cover the worlds at all?
> That is ridiculous - how much football and rugby do they show and then
> considering they only ever cover the European and worlds in a season
> that's disgraceful. I've been to the bbc website and left a complaint
> - maybe time to write to points of view!

> Anthony

When I was in Europe a few weeks ago Eurosport was advertising that
they were going to have live coverage of all the events.  Maybe they got
the rights instead of the BBC?