Favorite Commentators

Favorite Commentators

Post by VmlKris » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00


This ng is constantly b*** with posts about the amazing skills of such
high-quality commentators as*** Button, Peter Carruthers and Sandra
Bezic :-)  I can't just lurk any longer--I've got a deep-seated desire to
find out who are the best and worst commentators and why.  I'm not trying
to conduct a formal poll--just wanting to see what you all thinks makes a
good commentator as opposed to a poor one.  I certainly have my own
opinions, but don't want to *influence* anyone else's opinions in one way
or another.  I'd appreciate your posts!

Kristi

 
 
 

Favorite Commentators

Post by Chooi Siew » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Best:*** Button.  Very opinionated, knows the moves, know what he was
talking about.  Top rated classy man, never afraid to criticize a bad
move. This shows the integrity of his work.

Worst:  Terry Gannon.  He is irritating.  Speaks when he shouldn't have,
and thus spoils the program.  He is misinformed, an air-head.  

Please send the final polling results to each network, will you?  May be
ABC will do something about this Gannon man.

Quote:

> This ng is constantly b*** with posts about the amazing skills of such
> high-quality commentators as*** Button, Peter Carruthers and Sandra
> Bezic :-)  I can't just lurk any longer--I've got a deep-seated desire to
> find out who are the best and worst commentators and why.  I'm not trying
> to conduct a formal poll--just wanting to see what you all thinks makes a
> good commentator as opposed to a poor one.  I certainly have my own
> opinions, but don't want to *influence* anyone else's opinions in one way
> or another.  I'd appreciate your posts!
> Kristi

--

 
 
 

Favorite Commentators

Post by P. D. Goldber » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> This ng is constantly b*** with posts about the amazing skills of such
> high-quality commentators as*** Button, Peter Carruthers and Sandra
> Bezic :-)  I can't just lurk any longer--I've got a deep-seated desire to
> find out who are the best and worst commentators and why.  I'm not trying
> to conduct a formal poll--just wanting to see what you all thinks makes a
> good commentator as opposed to a poor one.  I certainly have my own
> opinions, but don't want to *influence* anyone else's opinions in one way
> or another.  I'd appreciate your posts!

> Kristi

I know I'm going to hear about this but I really do appreciate***
Button as a commentator, because:

1.  He is very consistant about identifying the jumps and why they were
    or were not landed well.

2.  He pays equal attention to spins, footwork etc.  Again, identifying
    the edges and why it is done better or is more difficult than those
    done by another skater.  He views programs as a whole and puts them
    in perspective.

3.  He is not afraid to state his own opinion, regardless of whether or
    not it is politically correct.  Lord knows I don't always agree, but
    I enjoy the fact that he tells it exactly how he sees it without
    pulling any punchs.

4.  When he is not forced to work with Peggy and Terry, He generally    
    knows when to shut up.  Who ever thought that Figure Skating needs
    three people in the booth should be bound and gagged.

BTW, I was impressed by Brian Boitano's debut last year on ABC, some
good insights.  It will be interesting to seen how he improves this
year.

 
 
 

Favorite Commentators

Post by Fab4Fan » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Best: Scott Hamilton. Because I learned more about skating by watching him
than anyone else. Not only does he point out what doesn't work, he also
points out what DOES work. He also does not have an "I am the God of
Skating" persona when he commentates, as almost every other commentator
does. Plus, he's fair--maybe a bit too generous at times, but I prefer
that to constant pot-shots.

Worst--oh, where do I begin? Speaking as someone who watches almost every
sport imaginable, the overall quality of skating commentators is abysmal.
If I had to pick one that I particularly loathe, it's Peter Carruthers.
This guy has the ultimate attitude problem. I feel like I'm listening to a
schoolteacher--or maybe a particularly ill-tempered coach. He seems to
have spent years studying*** Button tapes and concentrated on completely
adopting all the worst parts! And second goes to Sandra Bezic. She's not
as annoying as Carruthers, she just says next to nothing that is
meaningful or interesting!

As for*** Button--there are many many times that the "God of Skating"
act makes me want to pull an Elvis and shoot my TV set. And the sport,
especially on the eligible level, seems at times to have completely passed
the man by. Working with Peggy Fleming and Terry Gannon does not help him
at all, either. But, the man does have his moments. When he is really,
truly e***d and pleased by the program he is watching, he is the best
there is. That just doesn't happen often enough, it seems.

Best Hope for the Future--Brian Boitano. Boy did he do a great job last
year. His technical expertise is, of course, unparallelled, but he also
seems to have the rare gift of translating and explaining that expertise,
as it pertains to what he is watching, to us laymen. I was extremely
impressed--and Boitano and Button actually made a fine team. Having
Boitano in the booth seemed to improve Button's focus--something Peggy
Fleming does NOT do.

Frank\
Beautiful Downtown Beverly, MA   Birthplace of the American Navy
Amateur Radio Operator KA1WZH
"I was a fine idea at the time, now I'm a Brilliant Mistake"--Elvis
Costello
"No one I think is in my tree"-Lennon/McCartney
"Show a little inspiration, show a little spark"--Mary Chapin Carpenter

 
 
 

Favorite Commentators

Post by CMMCGURR » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I love*** Button.He is honest and doesn't  care.If he doesn't like a
particular's ladies layback he'll tell you so.He really get the viewer
into the skating.I remeber watching the Men's Nationals last year and when
Rudy was skating his long program,*** was just so e***d.I think he was
as happy as Rudy when Rudy found out he won.I yearn to hear what he has to
say,  and sometimes it isn't pretty but I respect what he has to say-after
all he is a 2 time Olympic champion with many titles under his belt! I
also like Scott Hamilto-he's my ssecond favorite.Scott never says anything
bad-he always trys to put a positive spin on everything.   Christina

 
 
 

Favorite Commentators

Post by CMMCGURR » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I mentioned that*** Button was my favorite comentator but I forgot to
mention the worst.I raelly do not like Jill Trenary's commentating and she
only had a brief time doing it and I can see why.I remeber when she did
the Europeans in 1994 for the dance.She really had nothing nice to say
about Usova and Zhulin-probaly bercuse her husband was their competition.
   Christina

 
 
 

Favorite Commentators

Post by Abbi Leigh Jahaas » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Best: Scott Hamilton. Because I learned more about skating by watching him
> than anyone else. Not only does he point out what doesn't work, he also
> points out what DOES work. He also does not have an "I am the God of
> Skating" persona when he commentates, as almost every other commentator
> does. Plus, he's fair--maybe a bit too generous at times, but I prefer
> that to constant pot-shots.

He's always positive. He has tact. Where Button would say "that was lousy"
Scott would say something like "need to spend more time on that move" or
"what they do, they do very, very well".

Quote:
> Worst--oh, where do I begin? Speaking as someone who watches almost every
> sport imaginable, the overall quality of skating commentators is abysmal.
> If I had to pick one that I particularly loathe, it's Peter Carruthers.
> This guy has the ultimate attitude problem. I feel like I'm listening to a
> schoolteacher--or maybe a particularly ill-tempered coach. He seems to
> have spent years studying*** Button tapes and concentrated on completely
> adopting all the worst parts! And second goes to Sandra Bezic. She's not
> as annoying as Carruthers, she just says next to nothing that is
> meaningful or interesting!

My pick is DEFINITELY the idiot Peter Carruthers. Constant babbling,
inappropriate comments, and incorrect calls on jumps and the quality of
spins make him THE WORST! And, of course, he comments for Turner networks
skating events, ESPN's, and I think USA's.

Quote:
> As for*** Button--there are many many times that the "God of Skating"
> act makes me want to pull an Elvis and shoot my TV set. And the sport,
> especially on the eligible level, seems at times to have completely passed
> the man by. Working with Peggy Fleming and Terry Gannon does not help him
> at all, either. But, the man does have his moments. When he is really,
> truly e***d and pleased by the program he is watching, he is the best
> there is. That just doesn't happen often enough, it seems.
> Best Hope for the Future--Brian Boitano.

IMHO, Button respects Brian more than Peggy. Listen to when he speaks. If
he's with Peggy, he states everything as a fact. When he's with Brian,
most everything he says is a question.

I agree with all Fred's picks.

Abbi

 
 
 

Favorite Commentators

Post by HelenK » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00


Quote:
(VmlKristi) writes:
>This ng is constantly b*** with posts about the amazing skills of
such
>high-quality commentators as*** Button, Peter Carruthers and Sandra
>Bezic :-)  I can't just lurk any longer--I've got a deep-seated desire to
>find out who are the best and worst commentators and why.  I'm not trying
>to conduct a formal poll--just wanting to see what you all thinks makes a
>good commentator as opposed to a poor one.  I certainly have my own
>opinions, but don't want to *influence* anyone else's opinions in one way
>or another.  I'd appreciate your posts!

>Kristi

This is for you fellow Canadians and others who watch skating on Canadian
channels:

Best:  Tracey Wilson, because she very helpfully explains what the judges
are looking for and what the rules are, especially in ice dance where she
has obvious expertise and the rules/judging are the least comprehensible
to the audience; makes comments that are relevant to the performances

Worst:  Barb Underhill, who babbles endlessly during the performances and
tells us for the fifth time some irrelevant piece of trivia about the
skater, like he missed the bus to the arena or something; as she watches
the replay, is completely shocked when she says: "That jump was actually a
double; I didn't notice that" (after gushing "that was a beautiful
triple..." during the performance itself)

BTW, the Toronto Star on November 1 reported that CTV's new skating
producer has promised "more skating and less fluff", and commentators
(incl. Ms. Underhill) have been told "Talk less and say more" - sounds
like someone who has been watching skating!

Helen

 
 
 

Favorite Commentators

Post by hypati » Mon, 04 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have not seen the musical but in the book, Marius is very much a son
who has run away from his responsibilities to his grandfather and his
grandfather didn't help the situation any by being a little pigheaded
himself. Marius did not appear to have a job and certainly squandered his
time in his obsession with Cosette, even though he had no money, so
"prodigal" certainly fits.

hypatia

Quote:


> Siew H.) writes:

> >Worst:  Terry Gannon.  He is irritating.  Speaks when he shouldn't have,
> >and thus spoils the program.  He is misinformed, an air-head.

> Did anyone catch how he announced that Paul Wylie's "Bring Him Home"
> number was the story of the prodigal son?  Huh?  Last time I saw Les Mis,
> I didn't catch that idea!

> Rhonda

 
 
 

Favorite Commentators

Post by Revjoel » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:
 (Fab4Fan99) writes:
>Best: Scott Hamilton. Because I learned more about skating by watching
him
>than anyone else. Not only does he point out what doesn't work, he also
>points out what DOES work.
(Abbi Leigh Jahaaski) writes:
>He's always positive. He has tact. Where Button would say "that was
lousy"
>Scott would say something like "need to spend more time on that move" or
>"what they do, they do very, very well".

I like Scott for the reasons named above and:

a) He's got a good eye--he can objectively explain what went wrong with a
jump and not be ***

b)  He genuinely likes the skaters he's talking about and that shows.

c)  He's good natured & respectful of who he's working with.  He never
argues with, corrects or tries to one-up whoever is in the booth with him.

d)  He has never asked Tracey Wilson to marry him during commentary at the
Worlds

Worst-Sandra Bezic is very catty and I honestly believe*** is getting
senile.

Joelle

 
 
 

Favorite Commentators

Post by Rkhoy » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00


Quote:
Siew H.) writes:
>Worst:  Terry Gannon.  He is irritating.  Speaks when he shouldn't have,
>and thus spoils the program.  He is misinformed, an air-head.  

Did anyone catch how he announced that Paul Wylie's "Bring Him Home"
number was the story of the prodigal son?  Huh?  Last time I saw Les Mis,
I didn't catch that idea!

Rhonda

 
 
 

Favorite Commentators

Post by Erin Leigh Claypoo » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I couldn't believe it when Terry Gannon said that about the Prodigal Son!  He
sounded so extremely stupid -- if you don't know something, then say nothing.  
I actually wanted to contact ABC and tell them just how stupid he was!  And
what makes it even worse is that Les Miserable isn't some obscure musical that
people can only see if they have the money to go to London or New York.  
Millions and millions of people have seen it, and if you haven't seen it,
could hear it on the various recordings of it.  Being a HUGE Les Miz fan, I
just want to say....GRRRRR.

Oh -- one more thing -- I just about died laughing when Peggy made a comment
about someone's free leg on the layback spin "could have been better."  I bet
*** was mad that she beat him to his favorite statement!  (I don't mind when
*** points this out, but during some competitions it becomes an obsession.)  
This year's obsession looks like it is going to be "edges and lines."

Erin

Quote:

>Siew H.) writes:
>Did anyone catch how he announced that Paul Wylie's "Bring Him Home"
>number was the story of the prodigal son?  Huh?  Last time I saw Les Mis,
>I didn't catch that idea!
>Rhonda

 
 
 

Favorite Commentators

Post by Maggie O'Malle » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00


Quote:
> This ng is constantly b*** with posts about the amazing skills of such
> high-quality commentators as*** Button, Peter Carruthers and Sandra
> Bezic :-)

Best commentator??? Worst commentator???  Hmmmmm... Well, I really
enjoyed listening to Kurt Browning when he tried his hand at
comemtating... but that's not what prompted me to write...

I have been watching this sport religiously for 20+ years now.  What I
would like to see is an event where the comemtators don't talk over the
music (for ANY reason.)  You folks make valid points about some
comentators knowing their stuff and remaining impartial..  But every
comentator I have heard has rooted at one time or another and it does
get old (then there's Chris Schenkel <g>).  Many of these 'competitions'
are taped (and reviewed) in advance... which would seemingly make it
easier to show the performance(s) in its entirety without interuption,
THEN go back and point out what went right and what went wrong.
(I really OBJECT to a taped event being treated like it is taking place
in the here and now... its CONTEMPTIOUS!)

It would be an interesting experiment.  I don't think that any network
would be willing to try it, but hey... even football went speachless
once (wish it would have stayed that way!)  

I would be VERY interested in what the ***-populace things of this?
If possible, please copy messages to my email address.

Thanks!
-*-

ps. without a spell checker I'm lost.  So please forgive any errors that
my brain or my fingers have created.