Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Post by blon.. » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 04:09:31


Here it is ("Kwan Does Just Enough")

http://sports.latimes.com/news/20001029/lat/20001029g366dkke.html

Kwan quotes what Frank Carroll told her as she was coming off the ice
from her Skate America free skate, paraphrased "I'll see you first
thing Monday morning for practice!"  LOL.

Also discusses other disciplines and quotes other skaters.

blondee

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Post by Roa » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 04:58:57

Silly article said Sokolova only did one triple jump.  Not so.  She did three
clean ones.

DesertRoaz  [movie page: www.expage.com/page/desertroaz]
I need a new sig

 
 
 

Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Post by blon.. » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 05:49:11



Quote:
> Silly article said Sokolova only did one triple jump.  Not so.  She
did three
> clean ones.

> DesertRoaz  [movie page: www.expage.com/page/desertroaz]
> I need a new sig

Yeah, can you imagine completing only one triple and placing 3rd??  If
only it was *that* easy!

I'm not going on the rant about how awful the figure skating reporting
is and has been in the past.  Usually, since I already know what
happened, I just read for quotes.  But, considering how inaccurate this
article was, that's probably not a good idea either!

blondee

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Post by Lorrie Ki » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 07:12:25

Quote:

> I'm not going on the rant about how awful the figure skating reporting
> is and has been in the past.  Usually, since I already know what
> happened, I just read for quotes.  But, considering how inaccurate this
> article was, that's probably not a good idea either

    From the limited exposure I've had to mainstream reporters covering
skating, I've seen that often they have no one to ask but each other about
technical details.  That's how you get widely reported mistakes (e.g.,
Tonya Harding landing "three triples" at last year's ESPN pros, when
Christine Brennan alone reported accurately that it was a 3sal, 3toe and a
2ax -- as all of us knew, from watching the broadcast).
    I think it would change everything for the better if all major skating
events appointed someone with expert judging knowledge to attend the press
conferences and confirm things for the press, such as "that was a quad toe
loop, not a quad axel" or "this is why skater X won despite two falls."  I
know the USFSA forbids judges to talk to the press about events they have
judged, but could media duty not be rotated among judges present but not
working the event?  Heck, I volunteer to help with public-speaking training
if the USFSA were to do this.

                    Lorrie Kim

 
 
 

Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Post by rlaf.. » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 08:05:09



Quote:


> > I'm not going on the rant about how awful the figure skating
reporting
> > is and has been in the past.  Usually, since I already know what
> > happened, I just read for quotes.  But, considering how inaccurate
this
> > article was, that's probably not a good idea either

>     From the limited exposure I've had to mainstream reporters
covering
> skating, I've seen that often they have no one to ask but each other
about
> technical details.

Right. They're only sitting in an arena surrounded by hundreds, if not
thousands of people who know more about skating than they do. If they
can't find someone who can help them and answer questions, they aren't
trying very hard.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
>  That's how you get widely reported mistakes (e.g.,
> Tonya Harding landing "three triples" at last year's ESPN pros, when
> Christine Brennan alone reported accurately that it was a 3sal, 3toe
and a
> 2ax -- as all of us knew, from watching the broadcast).
>     I think it would change everything for the better if all major
skating
> events appointed someone with expert judging knowledge to attend the
press
> conferences and confirm things for the press, such as "that was a
quad toe
> loop, not a quad axel" or "this is why skater X won despite two
falls."  I
> know the USFSA forbids judges to talk to the press about events they
have
> judged, but could media duty not be rotated among judges present but
not
> working the event?  Heck, I volunteer to help with public-speaking
training
> if the USFSA were to do this.

Nah. That would make too much sense.

--Ruth <who corresponds with the guy who does what little skating
coverage the SF Chronicle does, and got nowhere with her proposal that
she go to Nagano to carry his laptop and be his technical advisor <g>>

--
" ... [O]nly with effortless technique can artistry truly speak ...."
Peg Lewis.

"Art cannot be subordinate to its subject, otherwise it is not art but
biography, and biography is the mesh through which our real life
escapes." Tom Stoppard -- "Inventions of Love"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Post by blon.. » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 08:20:31



Quote:

>     From the limited exposure I've had to mainstream reporters
covering
> skating, I've seen that often they have no one to ask but each other
about
> technical details.  That's how you get widely reported mistakes (e.g.,
> Tonya Harding landing "three triples" at last year's ESPN pros, when
> Christine Brennan alone reported accurately that it was a 3sal, 3toe
and a
> 2ax -- as all of us knew, from watching the broadcast).
>     I think it would change everything for the better if all major
skating
> events appointed someone with expert judging knowledge to attend the
press
> conferences and confirm things for the press, such as "that was a
quad toe
> loop, not a quad axel" or "this is why skater X won despite two
falls."  I
> know the USFSA forbids judges to talk to the press about events they
have
> judged, but could media duty not be rotated among judges present but
not
> working the event?  Heck, I volunteer to help with public-speaking
training
> if the USFSA were to do this.

>                     Lorrie Kim


Brilliant idea, Lorrie.  I nominate you -- you can do the reporting and
the public speaking :-)

It does seem like a power and control issue though.  Skating
federations (and, of course, the ISU) just hate to lose their grip on
information and especially the dissemination of it.

Also, I just had to laugh when I read one of your examples of inaccurate
reporting ("quad axel").  Didn't some article recently report that Todd
Eldredge had accomplished that magnificent feat?  I remember chuckling
when I read it.

blondee

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Post by Lorrie Ki » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 08:49:59

Quote:



> >     From the limited exposure I've had to mainstream reporters
> covering
> > skating, I've seen that often they have no one to ask but each other
> about
> > technical details.

> Right. They're only sitting in an arena surrounded by hundreds, if not
> thousands of people who know more about skating than they do. If they
> can't find someone who can help them and answer questions, they aren't
> trying very hard.

    I wouldn't be too *** the mainstream reporters.  If I were sent
to, say, a football game with instructions to cover it, I wouldn't know
whom to ask, either.  I'd be busy keeping my eyes wide open, trying to
learn this alien and complicated sport as quickly as possible.  I mean,
I've been a skating fan for years, and I dorkily posted here that Handra
and Sinek got a timing deduction when they did not (like I knew something)
-- did I bother to go to section 117 and ask the judges about it first?
Noooo....  So I really don't expect most reporters to go, Oh look, there's
Bob Horen; I can ask him.
    As for being surrounded by people who know skating better than they
do:  it's impossible to tell.  I heard lots of authoritative-sounding
opinions from the audience like "they throw out the high and the low
marks," while there were people I personally knew to be knowledgeable who
were a lot quieter.  I really don't want to throw reporters on the mercy
of whomever they can find in the crowd.
    In my experience, reporters are really grateful to have access to a
knowledgeable spokesperson, and most wouldn't want to show disrespect for
the proceedings by combing desperately through the audience looking for
help.  I don't think, either, that it's a case of the USFSA wanting to
mystify the correct information.  Something is definitely to blame here,
but I think it's more likely to be lack of vision.  (Uh-oh, my tendency to
want to rule the world is showing again.)  Anyway, the level of skating
reportage and public knowledge has definitely risen in the past several
years, so I expect improvements to continue.

                    Lorrie Kim

 
 
 

Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Post by Suzanne Lainso » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 09:06:30

Quote:

>     I think it would change everything for the better if all major skating
> events appointed someone with expert judging knowledge to attend the press
> conferences and confirm things for the press, such as "that was a quad toe
> loop, not a quad axel" or "this is why skater X won despite two falls."

Unless things have changed, the USFSA has a knowledgeable person who handles
its PR and attends those press conferences. The last person in that position
that I knew by name, Kristin Matta (I hope I have the spelling right), was an
ex-skater herself.

Suzanne

 
 
 

Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Post by TCAX » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 09:19:15

Quote:

>--Ruth <who corresponds with the guy who does what little skating
>coverage the SF Chronicle does, and got nowhere with her proposal that
>she go to Nagano to carry his laptop and be his technical advisor <g

***************
Darn it Ruth, I'm next in line for that job! :O)

Tell me, is it the same writer who did their skating reports from Lillihammer?
He had a great article contrasting Kerrigan vs a vs. Baiul.  He loved Baiul's
"my skates tell me when it's time to start" or something to that effect.

THEO

 
 
 

Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Post by Lorrie K » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 10:04:31



Quote:

>Unless things have changed, the USFSA has a knowledgeable person who handles
>its PR and attends those press conferences. The last person in that position
>that I knew by name, Kristin Matta (I hope I have the spelling right), was an
>ex-skater herself.

        The current PR head is named Bob Dunlop; I've never met him.  I
have not attended a USFSA press conference, so I don't know if they
explain things like "so-and-so had a music timing deduction; that's why
you thought they should have been 3rd, but they were 5th" or "I know you
thought so-and-so deserved a 6.0, but their death spiral was short on
rotation and the step sequence pattern was inadequate."
        What I'm getting at is, I hate -- loathe -- media coverage
claiming that so-and-so was robbed, or held up, or that the judges are
blind, or that it's all politics -- when the marks can easily be explained
by something that judges find glaring, but the public doesn't see.  One
problem I've encountered is that veteran skating insiders have this jaded
attitude that nobody is interested in rulebook minutiae.  I can understand
that they've seen eyes glaze over one too many times, but the alternative
is that the public and the media are permitted to believe that judging is
a crock and this is a purely political "sport."  I think the sport's image
has been in crisis on this subject for quite some time, and people can't
afford to be hesitant about educating the public on judging.

                                        Lorrie Kim

 
 
 

Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Post by Suzanne Lainso » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 10:35:01

Quote:

>         What I'm getting at is, I hate -- loathe -- media coverage
> claiming that so-and-so was robbed, or held up, or that the judges are
> blind, or that it's all politics -- when the marks can easily be explained
> by something that judges find glaring, but the public doesn't see.

When TV commentators, ex-skaters themselves, can't be bothered to explain why
certain marks were given, it's understandable if the USFSA might think it is
pointless to educate the media.

Suzanne

 
 
 

Article on SA - Funny Frank Carroll Quote

Post by janet swan hi » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 10:46:48

Quote:
>Silly article said Sokolova only did one triple jump.  Not so.  She did three
>clean ones.

My notes (not guaranteed to be accurate) say:  3Z/2t, 1f, 1l, 3L, 3f, 2s, 3t,
2x.

There are other errors in the article.   But I liked the comment by Tchernyshev
about getting a heavy foot after practice (and thus accumulating speeding
tickets ..... that have delayed his citizenship)

janet