ABC's exhibition program

ABC's exhibition program

Post by Cle » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 10:11:01


Here on the West Coast, skating was scheduled at 4 pm, after MLS soccer was to
end at 3 pm and one hour of short track speedskating.  The soccer went into
overtime and speedskating started late - already in progress, I guess, as it
ended right at 4 pm.  Then the exhibitions were supposed to start, but instead
ABC started the speedskating program from the beginning!  Ten minutes into
that, they joined the exhibitions already in progress!  Vika was skating.  

So... I'm wondering what was on in the first ten minutes that we missed?

TIA,

~Cleo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryan ~ Elegance on Ice
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The sympathetic blond lockenkopf did not have to be ashamed of the musical
collecting main of the "American in Paris" really. (from Bablefished article)

 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by Kaij » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 10:04:29

Quote:

> Here on the West Coast, skating was scheduled at 4 pm, after MLS soccer was to
> end at 3 pm and one hour of short track speedskating.  The soccer went into
> overtime and speedskating started late - already in progress, I guess, as it
> ended right at 4 pm.  Then the exhibitions were supposed to start, but instead
> ABC started the speedskating program from the beginning!  Ten minutes into
> that, they joined the exhibitions already in progress!  Vika was skating.

Is that what happened?  I went to turn on the vcr at 4 pm, and saw speed
skating.  Since the vcr was already running, and I haven't figured out
how to shut it off once it is programmed, (it is a new machine), I
decided to let it run, marking the tape to be taped over for the first 2
hours.  But when I went back into the room, there was figure skating!
I'm rather glad I didn't bother trying to figure out how to undo the
programming this time...

Quote:
> So... I'm wondering what was on in the first ten minutes that we missed?

> TIA,

What she said!

Kaiju

--

     No more fiendish punishment could be devised,
     were such a thing physically possible,
     than that one should be turned loose in society
     and remain absolutely unnoticed.

     -- William James

 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by Cle » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 14:44:32

missed?

Quote:
>> TIA,

>What she said!

>Kaiju

To answer my own question, I found out that we missed Belbin & Agosto's Elvis
routine.  Not sure what version - I'm guessing the one they did at Nationals
exhibitions.

Anyway, Heather's page lists ESPN rebroadcasting this on April 13th.

~Cleo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryan ~ Elegance on Ice
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The sympathetic blond lockenkopf did not have to be ashamed of the musical
collecting main of the "American in Paris" really. (from Bablefished article)

 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by FrostyZor » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:07:35

Speed skating didn't go over time....they repeated like 10 minutes of speed
skating....how silly!
 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by Kaij » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:36:56

Quote:


> missed?
> >> TIA,

> >What she said!

> >Kaiju

> To answer my own question, I found out that we missed Belbin & Agosto's Elvis
> routine.  Not sure what version - I'm guessing the one they did at Nationals
> exhibitions.

> Anyway, Heather's page lists ESPN rebroadcasting this on April 13th.

Cool!  Thanks, Cleo.  I saw that version at SA.  It is entertaining, but
I don't feel I missed much.  ;>

Kaiju

--

     No more fiendish punishment could be devised,
     were such a thing physically possible,
     than that one should be turned loose in society
     and remain absolutely unnoticed.

     -- William James

 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by Amy or Bria » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 00:10:19


Quote:
> Here on the West Coast, skating was scheduled at 4 pm, after MLS soccer
was to
> end at 3 pm and one hour of short track speedskating.  The soccer went
into
> overtime and speedskating started late - already in progress, I guess, as
it
> ended right at 4 pm.  Then the exhibitions were supposed to start, but
instead
> ABC started the speedskating program from the beginning!  Ten minutes into
> that, they joined the exhibitions already in progress!  Vika was skating.

> So... I'm wondering what was on in the first ten minutes that we missed?

> TIA,

> ~Cleo
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Ryan ~ Elegance on Ice
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "The sympathetic blond lockenkopf did not have to be ashamed of the
musical
> collecting main of the "American in Paris" really. (from Bablefished

article)

What time zone were you all in? In Boston, totally contrary to *any* listing
I had seen, the exhibitions started at 2pm and ended at 4.  I happened to be
looking for something to watch while knitting, and stumbled upon this.  Now
I'm glad I did!

To answer your question about Vika (the first skater I caught), she skated
to probably the worst rendition of "Memory" that I have ever heard.  It was
sung by Sarah Brightman (Lloyd Webber's ex-wife who starred in Phantom of
the Opera), and included instrumental passages from that show as well.

Anyhow, to get back to the skating, I thought Volchkova looked better in the
exhibition than she had in competition.  Sasha skated to the soundtrack from
the Zeffrelli Romeo and Juliet; Michelle did Fields of Gold; Sokolova was
indeed wearing that cloak with the cross on the back, which didn't seem to
go with the music.  Then she took it off and skated more like her usual
sunny self.  I personally thought Weiss's "tornado" was pretty cool,
although his exhibition looked a little too full of tricks and not enough
skating.  B&K's number was chock-full of hydroblading moves, and L&A seemed
a little livelier than they did in the FD.  I didn't catch any of the other
dancers, and the only pair I saw was S&D.  ABC actually announced that Shen
and Zhao were coming up, even though I knew from here that they hadn't
participated in the exhibition....so I wasn't too surprised when all they
did was rebroadcast their LP.  I really wish they wouldn't do this!

Oh well.....

-Amy

 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by Cle » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 05:15:57

Quote:
>From: "Amy or Brian"
>What time zone were you all in?

Pacific.

<In Boston, totally contrary to *any* listing

Quote:
>I had seen, the exhibitions started at 2pm and ended at 4.

Then live soccer was on, right?  Anyway, I hate it when they switch times
without much notice!

~Cleo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryan ~ Elegance on Ice
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The sympathetic blond lockenkopf did not have to be ashamed of the musical
collecting main of the "American in Paris" really. (from Bablefished article)

 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by B » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 06:31:11

I was watching in the Seattle area, and we missed the first fif***
minutes due to the soccer running over and an *infomercial*.  I was
annoyed!   I'm glad to hear there will be a rebroadcast on ESPN.

I also missed the first hour of Junior Worlds this morning on Lifetime
due to forgetting about Daylight Savings Time... but that won't be
rebroadcast, as far as I know.  :(

 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by Amy or Bria » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 06:33:15


Quote:
> >From: "Amy or Brian"

> >What time zone were you all in?

> Pacific.

> <In Boston, totally contrary to *any* listing
> >I had seen, the exhibitions started at 2pm and ended at 4.

> Then live soccer was on, right?  Anyway, I hate it when they switch times
> without much notice!

I think so.  We turned off the TV after the skating ended.
 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by Teddi Litma » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 07:19:14


Quote:
> >From: "Amy or Brian"

> >What time zone were you all in?

> Pacific.

> <In Boston, totally contrary to *any* listing
> >I had seen, the exhibitions started at 2pm and ended at 4.

> Then live soccer was on, right?  Anyway, I hate it when they switch times
> without much notice!

Yep, I tuned in at 4 and got soccer. So then went to IWon's programming grid
and saw the exhibition was on at 2. :( When I went to the ABC site, it still
had the "old* (wrong) schedule. Is there a site somewhere that keeps track
of these last minute changes? I really wanted to see the exhibition since I
had to leave early (right after Fumie's) to catch a plane.
 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by Sandra Loosemor » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 07:39:21

Quote:

> Yep, I tuned in at 4 and got soccer. So then went to IWon's programming grid
> and saw the exhibition was on at 2. :( When I went to the ABC site, it still
> had the "old* (wrong) schedule. Is there a site somewhere that keeps track
> of these last minute changes? I really wanted to see the exhibition since I
> had to leave early (right after Fumie's) to catch a plane.

This was hardly "last minute" since the correct time was announced
during the broadcast of the ladies' competition a week before.  Me, I
always double-check the local TV listings at tv.yahoo.com a day or so
in advance, or whenever I set my VCR.

-Sandra

 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by Teddi Litma » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 07:48:09


Quote:

> This was hardly "last minute" since the correct time was announced
> during the broadcast of the ladies' competition a week before.

Well since I didn't watch the ladies competition last week on TV, I missed
this notice. ABC's own web site is unreliable apparently.

 Me, I

Quote:
> always double-check the local TV listings at tv.yahoo.com a day or so
> in advance, or whenever I set my VCR.

Is Yahoo always reliable? Or is there site that is? This is essentially what
I'm asking for... not a scolding that I should have noticed the announcement
on the TV broadcast I didn't watch.
 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by +Acousticbrute » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 08:56:13

it seems

Quote:

> > Yep, I tuned in at 4 and got soccer. So then went to IWon's programming
grid
> > and saw the exhibition was on at 2. :( When I went to the ABC site, it
still
> > had the "old* (wrong) schedule. Is there a site somewhere that keeps
track
> > of these last minute changes? I really wanted to see the exhibition
since I
> > had to leave early (right after Fumie's) to catch a plane.

> This was hardly "last minute" since the correct time was announced
> during the broadcast of the ladies' competition a week before.  Me, I
> always double-check the local TV listings at tv.yahoo.com a day or so
> in advance, or whenever I set my VCR.

> -Sandra

 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by Trudi Marrapo » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:28:30


Quote:



> > This was hardly "last minute" since the correct time was announced
> > during the broadcast of the ladies' competition a week before.

> Well since I didn't watch the ladies competition last week on TV, I missed
> this notice. ABC's own web site is unreliable apparently.

Yeah. I had it on tape, but didn't get around to watching the tape until
Saturday afternoon. During which I saw the announcement on the tape,
realized it was already 3 p.m., screamed and shut off the tape and turned
on the TV.

Quote:
>  Me, I
> > always double-check the local TV listings at tv.yahoo.com a day or so
> > in advance, or whenever I set my VCR.

> Is Yahoo always reliable? Or is there site that is? This is essentially what
> I'm asking for... not a scolding that I should have noticed the announcement
> on the TV broadcast I didn't watch.

Yeah...
--
Trudi
Proud Member of the Coalition of the Frustrated
____
Say NO to secret judging and corruption in skating --
support SkateFAIR!
http://www.skatefair.org
 
 
 

ABC's exhibition program

Post by Jonafa » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 22:05:04

YOU DIDN'T MISS THE HAYDENETTES, THE U.S. NATIONAL CHAMPION SYNCHRONIZED
SKATING TEAM, WHICH PERFORMED AT THE WORLDS EXHIBITION IN WASHINGTON, BUT
WHICH GOT LEFT OUT OF THE ABC BROADCAST SO THAT ABC COULD SHOW US THE
MYSTERIES OF MICHAEL WEISS' CLOTHING CLOSET AND A STORY ABOUT PLUSHENKOS
GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!

(Caps intended.  I am MAD!!!!  And so are a lot of other synch skaters.
It's pretty depressing to think that our National synch champs are less
important than Weiss' closet.)


Quote:
> I was watching in the Seattle area, and we missed the first fif***
> minutes due to the soccer running over and an *infomercial*.  I was
> annoyed!   I'm glad to hear there will be a rebroadcast on ESPN.

> I also missed the first hour of Junior Worlds this morning on Lifetime
> due to forgetting about Daylight Savings Time... but that won't be
> rebroadcast, as far as I know.  :(