Silverstein & Pekarek news

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by Amy Ror » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00


I don't think I've seen this posted here.

SILVERSTEIN AND PEKAREK WITHDRAW FROM ISU GRAND PRIX SERIES
http://www.usfsa.org/news/200001/press/silvpeka-withdraw.html

Among other things, the press release says "Due to personal and family
issues, we have been off the ice since early August and unable to train
for our upcoming competitions this fall. Unfortunately, we will miss
both assigned Grand Prix events, Skate America and Trophee Lalique. We
remain committed as a team and look forward to competing in the future."

- Amy Rork
http://members.tripod.com/~Gary_Amy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by blon.. » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
> I don't think I've seen this posted here.

> SILVERSTEIN AND PEKAREK WITHDRAW FROM ISU GRAND PRIX SERIES
> http://www.usfsa.org/news/200001/press/silvpeka-withdraw.html

> Among other things, the press release says "Due to personal and family
> issues, we have been off the ice since early August and unable to
train
> for our upcoming competitions this fall. Unfortunately, we will miss
> both assigned Grand Prix events, Skate America and Trophee Lalique. We
> remain committed as a team and look forward to competing in the
future."

> - Amy Rork

Thank you, Amy.  I read the press release and it doesn't appear - as of
yet anyway - that Silverstein and Pekarek have withdrawn from Nationals
and Worlds.  Would they still be eligible for Worlds having withdrawn
from the Grand Prix??

Wishing them well and hoping to see them later in the season!

blondee

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by Amy Ror » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00


from Grand Prix events:

Quote:
> Would they still be eligible for Worlds having withdrawn
> from the Grand Prix??

As far as I know, their qualification for the World Championships has
nothing to do with their participation in the Grand Prix.

- Amy Rork
http://members.tripod.com/~Gary_Amy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by Sandra Loosemor » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:


> from Grand Prix events:

> > Would they still be eligible for Worlds having withdrawn
> > from the Grand Prix??

> As far as I know, their qualification for the World Championships has
> nothing to do with their participation in the Grand Prix.

Indeed.  The USFSA can name whoever they want to their World Team.

-Sandra

 
 
 

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by ArmyCP » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>Would they still be eligible for Worlds having withdrawn from the Grand

Prix??<

I thought that the only thing at risk if you didn't do the Grand Prix series
were the Pro-Ams...?

 
 
 

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by Morr » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>Subject: Re: Silverstein & Pekarek news

>>Would they still be eligible for Worlds having withdrawn from the Grand
Prix??<

They were not seeded skaters so it is up to the USFSA to decide on World Team
Selection.  The ISU would have nothing to do with the decision.
 
 
 

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by Louis Epste » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:10:54


:

: > from Grand Prix events:
: >
: > > Would they still be eligible for Worlds having withdrawn
: > > from the Grand Prix??
: >
: > As far as I know, their qualification for the World Championships has
: > nothing to do with their participation in the Grand Prix.
:
: Indeed.  The USFSA can name whoever they want to their World Team.

Aren't they required to name the National champions?

 
 
 

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by Morr » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 10:19:29

Quote:
>Subject: Re: Silverstein & Pekarek news
>Aren't they required to name the National champions?

Yes
 
 
 

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by Jocel » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:56:02

Quote:
>SILVERSTEIN AND PEKAREK WITHDRAW FROM ISU GRAND PRIX SERIES
>http://www.usfsa.org/news/200001/press/silvpeka-withdraw.html

>Among other things, the press release says "Due to personal and family
>issues, we have been off the ice since early August and unable to train
>for our upcoming competitions this fall. Unfortunately, we will miss
>both assigned Grand Prix events, Skate America and Trophee Lalique. We
>remain committed as a team and look forward to competing in the future."

Wow.

Has the USFSA named any dance teams to take their places at Skate America and
Trophee Lalique yet, or will their spots go unfilled?  I hope the latter
doesn't happen because our dance teams need the experience.

Jocelyn
--
http://members.xoom.com/vesperholly/
ad astra per aspera

 
 
 

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by Jimmyblu » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>Has the USFSA named any dance teams to take their places at Skate America and
>Trophee Lalique yet, or will their spots go unfilled?  I hope the latter
>doesn't happen because our dance teams need the experience.

From the USFSA's press release:
"The USFSA International Management Committee, which assigns U.S. athletes to
international events, indicated that there will be no replacement for
Silverstein and Pekarek at Skate America."

It seems the only dance teams the USFSA feels are up to International Standards
are Lang/Tchernyshev, Silverstein/Pekarek, Koegel/Fediukov, and Handra/Sinek.
L&T and H&S are already competing at Skate America, and K&F are competing at
Skate Canada the very next week, so it seems the USFSA has no one they consider
capable of taking their place.  Now hopefully, Handra & Sinek will be called
upon to take their place at Lalique....

 
 
 

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by Sandra Loosemor » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> It seems the only dance teams the USFSA feels are up to
> International Standards are Lang/Tchernyshev, Silverstein/Pekarek,
> Koegel/Fediukov, and Handra/Sinek.  L&T and H&S are already
> competing at Skate America, and K&F are competing at Skate Canada
> the very next week, so it seems the USFSA has no one they consider
> capable of taking their place.  Now hopefully, Handra & Sinek will
> be called upon to take their place at Lalique....

I posted about this over on the skatefans list yesterday.  As I
understand it, all but the top 4 senior teams from last year's
Nationals have split up or retired, and of the top junior teams,
Belbin & Agosto are doing the JGP circuit, Nussear & Forsyth have
split up, and Valentine & Kossack would clearly be outclassed at a GP
event.  So who else *could* the USFSA send to Skate America as
replacements for Silverstein & Pekarek?  I don't think Joseph &
Forsyth are ready to compete yet.  (If I were the USFSA, I'd wait and
see how they do at sectionals, and perhaps consider them for Skate
Israel in December instead.)

-Sandra

 
 
 

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by Jimmyblu » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>I posted about this over on the skatefans list yesterday.  As I
>understand it, all but the top 4 senior teams from last year's
>Nationals have split up or retired, and of the top junior teams,
>Belbin & Agosto are doing the JGP circuit, Nussear & Forsyth have
>split up, and Valentine & Kossack would clearly be outclassed at a GP
>event.

Have the 5th place finishers from last year's nationals, Newman & Boundoukin
broken up?  I saw they were assigned to Nebelhorn, but did not actually compete
there.
 
 
 

Silverstein & Pekarek news

Post by Sandra Loosemor » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> Have the 5th place finishers from last year's nationals, Newman &
> Boundoukin broken up?  I saw they were assigned to Nebelhorn, but
> did not actually compete there.

There were rumors that they'd broken up going around all summer, and
while I haven't seen anything "official", their withdrawal from
Nebelhorn with no explanation from the USFSA would seem to confirm
that something is wrong.  The USFSA's international team web page is
so hopelessly out of date as to be useless for keeping track of the
status of various athletes and teams.  E.g, the USFSA still lists the
Sierks -- who announced their retirement in BOI quite a while ago --
and Waldstein & Lucash -- who have definitely split up -- in addition
to Newman & Boundoukin.

-Sandra