Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Sarah Weinma » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00


Well, I still want to watch the exhibitions, but you get my drift:

First, addressing dance.

After reading Michalle's commentary, I must say that I agree with most
of it.  I am getting *soooo* tired of all the comments about bloc
judging.  The most telling experience happened some weeks ago, when I
filled out a poll saying who I thought should have placed where in the
Olys.  And to my surprise...I picked the top five in the actual order.
So what does this prove?

1.  Bourne/Kraatz are immensely popular, definitely talented, and have
wonderful edges.  But they don't have the speed, the flow, the intricate
changes of foot, and the "winning attitude", meaning they whine too
much.  Somehow, between 1996 and now, they managed to***off a whole
lot of people.  Call me crazy, but the judges gave them a love-in at the
Worlds in Birmingham (and IMO, I still believe that was their best Free
dance).  I think....that their association with Dubova is a negative for
both sides.  For Dubova, it was a chance to get "revenge" on the team
that got away, Grischuk/Platov.  For B&K, they train with a top Russian
coach:  why no kudos?  IMO, B&K really should seek out K&P and train
with them again.  I just don't think that Dubova will be that beneficial
to them anymore.  Or how about this...go to Delaware and train with
Linichuk/Karponosov ;->

Anyway, the more I look, the more ashamed I become of the Canadian
media.  Should B&K come back next year, as it looks like, I hope that
there will be a fair competition.  But if there was unfairness, it was
that Anissina/Peizerat lost, and not B&K.  Because as much as I want to
love Riverdance.....I just *haven't* been able too.  Not when the middle
part sags like a bad piece of cake.  Not when the difficult footwork is
presented like icing:  really sweet, but nothing underneath.

I really think that B&K need a new direction.

2.  Are Krylova/Ovsiannikov destined to be Usova/Zhulin, part two?
Maybe, but I don't think so.  While I could see A&P challenging for the
gold next year (but NOT B&K) I think that once K&O get over Carmen, they
will go back to doing really wonderful programs like the
Masquerade...which was much more World Championship worthy than Carmen,
IMO.  In fact...I think I might actually enjoy ice dancing....if B&K got
the hell out of it.  Wow, I'm turning into Michalle, after not agreeing
with her for ages (or so it seems).  Maybe I'm just fed up.

And lastly, again to B&K:  no matter what hold the CFSA has on you, no
matter how much money they are throwing at you to stay in, no matter if
they beg and plead for you to stick around for the inagural Four
Continents, I say bag it.  At least, decide after touring with SOI for a
while.  Because you are going to find that the audience adores you.  No
matter what.  If you guys jump off a cliff and call it ice dancing, the
audience will stay with you.  Why forsake all that to please judges who
are not going to go your way?  Ever?  It's well and good to stick to
your vision.  But it's not the vision ISU judges want, unfairness or
not.  So go make yourselves into a great professional team.  And then,
and only then, can ice dancing heal and get back into shape.  Drastic,
but probably true.

Now, the women's:

I think way too much depends on whether Tara returns.  But even if she
returns, will she be anywhere close to the form that she had from
97-98?  My money says no.  I have reiterated the reasons many times, so
I won't go through it again.  But I will be an interested party at the
pro-am, to see just what level of skating she has sustained since the
Olympics.

As for Michelle......she's one of the smartest people in skating, IMO.
And she's got some pretty big decisions.  But the first order of
business:  lay off the foot for a while.  Then, work on the jumps and
such.  I don't think she'll be adding much in terms of technical
difficulty, except perhaps that elusive triple-triple combo.
Otherwise....I hope she skates to something a little livelier next
year.  Not that I didn't love her LP, but....it might get her speed up.

And the rest of the field?  Well, a whole slew of people might
mysteriously disappear, while new people crop up.  I'm interested in the
future of Irina, Tanja S., Krisztina Czako, and the endless stream of
Russian women, most notably Soldatova.  Will anyone knock Michelle off
her perch?  Sure.  But next year?  Probably not.  Not as long as the
girls are primarily interested in staying on their feet rather than
skating wonderfully crafted programs.  I can see why the ISU/CFSA/other
governing bodies are worried.  However, I and others like triples.  And
taking them out would *not* help the sport one bit.

The men:

The biggest question, aside from who will be staying eligible, is the
welfare of Alexei Yagudin, IMO.  If he goes on to win world titles, I
expect that he will not remember this one very fondly.  More along the
lines of, "My first world championship, I won, but I didn't really
deserve it."  Being world champion is one hell of a big deal.  And
Urmanov isn't the one to ask about dealing with the pressure....I hope
that he gets a mentor of some sort who can help him deal with all the
pressure.  It will be *very* interesting if the entire Mishin troupe all
moves to the States together.  And if they do......I don't know why I
feel this, but things don't seem all that good between Yags and Mishin.
Time will tell.....

Then there is Elvis's immenent return.  I will bet lots of money that he
got a billion phone calls after Thursday night, at wherever he is right
now.  That Elvis has to be Canada's deus ex machina.....well, I suppose
if anyone has to assume that role, it would be him.  But what if he
doesn't want the role?

What to do with Emmanuel Sandhu?  This is actually pretty easy.  First,
let him compete in the Junior Series one last year.  Then send him to
World Juniors, where he can improve on the 11th place finish.  Then, let
him do one senior competition, just so he can compete with the big
boys.  Should he happen to medal at Junior Worlds or make the Junior
Series final, it would be a hell of a season.  Just not at the senior
level.  Then, once Elvis has done his thing (as I assume) he'll *really*
move up to the seniors and compete, hopefully, at only senior CS events
and Worlds.  Emmanuel is like a baseball player:  a great prospect who
wowed at his first crack in seniors.  But as time goes on, his play
worsens, and he gets sent down to the minors.  Then, he'll burn up the
minor leagues, waiting for his next chance.  And *that* would be the
most productive use of Mr. Sandhu next season.

And Jeff?  Well, obviously, he can't compete at Junior events, and he
can't go to worlds.  What a ***y shame it is.  If they don't change
the stupid points system, well I hope to god he has a hell of a fall
season, gets into the CS Final, gets a medal at Four Continents, tours
with Elvis Tour or some other tour, and then gets his chance in 2000.
If not......I fear that this setback, not even his own fault, may retire
Jeff.  I sure hope not, though.

And the rest of the world?  Call me nuts but......if Elvis doesn't come
back, if Ilia decides to stop training and turn pro (because he sure
*hates* training, FWIH) if Todd lies low for a few years, and others
drop off...then......Tim Goebel's gonna win Worlds ;->  Well no.  But
besides Elvis, Yags, Alexei Major, Evgeny P., Goebel, Weiss....well, who
else *is* there, really?  Takeshi, if he gets consistent jumps.
Zhengxin if he learns how to skate, spin, get good choreography.....Abt
if he skates for some former Soviet Republic.  So IOW, it's USA vs.
Russia for the next four years.........

And the pairs......

Well, K&D seem to be gone from future Worlds.  Meno/Sand are joining
SOI.  Schwarz/Muller are going to go, or drop off severely.  Ina/Dunjgen
might stick it out a little while longer, or not.  Eltsova/Bushkov are
gone.  Wotzel/Steuer are pro.  So who is going to challenge
Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze for the next four years?

Well, first and foremost, B&S themselves.  They could be G&G, or they
could be Bechke/Petrov in reverse.  Instead of Elena's nerves killing
them it will be Anton's nerves.  But in all reality, they seem to have
the next few worlds locked up.

Who else in Russia?  Maksuta/Zhovirnsky?  Petrova/Pulin?  Names of pairs
I can't remember?  They don't have *it*, to me.

What about USA?  Well, the Steiglers can't even compete at Worlds for
another two years at the least.  Vlandis/Guzman, if they don't break up
in the next while....I dunno, Handy/Binneboise?  Maybe a new pair will
come and save the day?  Forget it, Ina/Dunjgen will have to stay,
because there is no depth.  Those three spots are going to evaporate
*fast* next year, unless the depth suddenly emerges.

Canada?  Well, thanks to Kerry Leitch's machinations, Marchant/Hawse and
Petersen/O'Reilly are history.  We have Sargeant/Wirtz and
Savard-Gagnon/Bradet, I guess, but if I were S-G/B, I'd end my career
with 1998 Worlds.  And Sargeant/Wirtz really aren't going to move up
much more.  They don't have the world championship aura......so who is
behind them?  Lariviere/Faustino, a pair with a whole lotta talent.
Roy/Fecteau.  Sale/Pelletier, if that ever emerges.  Hey, maybe we *do*
have a future in pairs.

And the rest?  Well, Shen/Zhao, or so it seems, if they get a good
vehicle that shows off speed and power while giving artistic impression
at the same time.  Zagorska/Siudek will not win medals, ever.  My best
bet right now is......the Ukrainians, or more specifically,
Obertas/Palarmchuk. I believe they might just make it to Senior Worlds
next year, and show their stuff really well.  They do have this great
capacity to make comebacks in the long program, don't they?

Of course, it always seems that in every discipline, the field gets
weaker.  But surprises do happen.  And while 1998 worlds was pretty
lacklustre, there are hopeful signs for next year, to be sure.  And I
can't wait....well, I will ...

read more »

 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Shushun0 » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00


writes:

Quote:
> And if they do......I don't know why I
>feel this, but things don't seem all that good between Yags and Mishin.
>Time will tell.....

 I remember reading an interview on the net about Alexei and Mishin and
Alexei would tell him to "Shut up". Gee, I really should have saved thr URL.
It was very interesting.

 Jam
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Alexei Yagudin Tribute
http://members.aol.com/Shushun0va/yag.html

 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Michalle S Gou » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
: writes:

:
: And if they do......I don't know why I

: feel this, but things don't seem all that good between Yags and Mishin.
: Time will tell.....

Gee. Some skaters go skate for Azerbaijan - he could always skate for
Israel! Rules for Russian patriation are somewhat more loose - he has 1/4
extra heritage to qualify! I'm sure they'd take him any day!

On a more serious note, I do rather share your concerns, but I think all
three of Mishin's skaters are fairly emotional, temperamental young men,
delightful though they all are, and that since we see them so rarely, we
don't really get the full context for anything they say, not to mention
the likelihood of N.A. news reporters picking the most potentially
interesting or 'sensationalistic' comment, not to mention difficulties in
translation. I would note that Mishin was given the choice of who to take
to Worlds and picked Yagudin, not Plushenko, although his obvious
suspicion that Kulik would withdraw may make that a tad less meaningful.
He was clearly ecstactic with Yags' bronze last year, and I'm sure he was
thrilled with Yags' gold this year. I'm concerned about having all three
men training together when they are all such close contenders, and
especially if Ilia DOES stick around (I don't think he will) which would
leave them fighting for two of three spots, I suspect, given politics
within the Federation, etc.. etc... However, Moskvina has managed with her
pairs in '92 and again in '98, though she only had two, rather than three,
and I think Mishin will get through it, even if there's some rough
moments.

At least I hope so!

Michalle

 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by MCleoMar » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Interesting post, Sarah!  What about Abitbol & Bernadis in pairs?

 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Operetta » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00


writes:

Quote:
>As for Michelle......she's one of the smartest people in skating, IMO.
>And she's got some pretty big decisions.  But the first order of
>business:  lay off the foot for a while.  Then, work on the jumps and
>such.  I don't think she'll be adding much in terms of technical
>difficulty, except perhaps that elusive triple-triple combo.
>Otherwise....I hope she skates to something a little livelier next
>year.  Not that I didn't love her LP, but....it might get her speed up.

I don't know whether this has been mentioned: there's an AP article quoting
Michelle: "I want to improve." (how often do you hear a new world champion
saying that in a post-victory conference?) It appears to be her post
competition press conference at the Worlds. She talked about how other skaters
have improved on technical aspects. She said she wants to spend several months
to add difficulty to her new programs. She mentioned triple-triple, even triple
axel. But of course, it all depends on her foot.

You're right on when you said she's one of the smartest people in skating. :-)
She knows what she needs to do to be one step ahead of the pack.

Jas

 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Stefani » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00


writes:

Quote:
>  I am getting *soooo* tired of all the comments about bloc
>judging

You and me both Sarah!  It always sounds to me too much like sour grapes.
 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Stefani » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00


writes:

Quote:
>It will be *very* interesting if the entire Mishin troupe all
>moves to the States together.  And if they do......I don't know why I
>feel this, but things don't seem all that good between Yags and Mishin.

I totally agree.  They are too young and too Russian...Phoenix will be hot and
foreign to them and they will be without their friends and family in Russia.
All these things take their toll.  I thought Mischin was clever and I don't
know what he's thinking of.  There must be good rinks in France and Germany.
 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Stefani » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00


writes:

Quote:
>I fear that this setback, not even his own fault, may retire
>Jeff.  I sure hope not, though.

Me too.  He's a lovely skater.  First time I've seen him.
 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Marie » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

In France ? our skater don't even have enough ice time !! So I'd rather
think the french federation would sell a rink to him only if he can afford
it :))




Quote:
> writes:

> >It will be *very* interesting if the entire Mishin troupe all
> >moves to the States together.  And if they do......I don't know why I
> >feel this, but things don't seem all that good between Yags and Mishin.

> I totally agree.  They are too young and too Russian...Phoenix will be
hot and
> foreign to them and they will be without their friends and family in
Russia.
> All these things take their toll.  I thought Mischin was clever and I
don't
> know what he's thinking of.  There must be good rinks in France and
Germany.

 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Lorrie K » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>I totally agree.  They are too young and too Russian...Phoenix will be hot and
>foreign to them and they will be without their friends and family in Russia.
>All these things take their toll.  I thought Mischin was clever and I don't
>know what he's thinking of.  There must be good rinks in France and Germany.

        Anna Rechnio and Viacheslav Zagorodniuk were cited last week as
two skaters whose skating suffered when they moved to the States, despite
infinitely better conditions.  I hope that's not true of these guys.  But
it shows you can't underestimate homesickness and disruption.
        Possibly Mishin was thinking he had to find something good fast,
and the Phoenix deal presented itself?  And there's a lot more money to be
made in the States than France or Germany.
        On a side note -- in _Edge of Glory_, Brennan says Yagudin refused
to describe his living conditions until all the Russian reporters left.
He, mom, and grandma live in cramped quarters with another family, whom
they don't speak to.  When he cried on the podium, I was imagining him
bringing home prize money and Tom Collins money for a new apartment.

                                        Lorrie Kim

 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Eda M. Tseinye » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Sarah Weinman wrote, among other interesting thoughts:

Quote:
> 1.  Bourne/Kraatz are immensely popular, definitely talented, and have
> wonderful edges.  But they don't have the speed, the flow, the intricate
> changes of foot, and the "winning attitude", meaning they whine too
> much.  

I think what they need is:  the ability to carry off a variety of
styles.  Better posture.  Closer and more intricate skating, maybe?
Their flow and speed are right up there with A&P IMHO.  Of course, in
the jive B&K also had far less difficulty.  Right now, B&K have a very
nice package but not quite enough to be truly "great."  They also need a
coach who does not have her own agenda placed ahead of the good of her
team.

Quote:
> I really think that B&K need a new direction.

Similarly to Stojko, I don't think having an entourage of people around
them telling them that they were ripped off, instead of people telling
them what they need to improve, has done them any favors.

Quote:
> What to do with Emmanuel Sandhu?  This is actually pretty easy.  First,
> let him compete in the Junior Series one last year.  Then send him to
> World Juniors, where he can improve on the 11th place finish.  

I disagree.  Sending him back to juniors after he's gone to Worlds is a
slap in the face.  He needs to go to senior events and learn how to
fight for his programs.  Besides, he's one of the best men in Canada at
the senior level.

Quote:
> And the rest of the world?  Call me nuts but......if Elvis doesn't come
> back, if Ilia decides to stop training and turn pro (because he sure
> *hates* training, FWIH) if Todd lies low for a few years, and others
> drop off...then......Tim Goebel's gonna win Worlds ;->  

PLYUSHCHENKO will dominate the known universe very, very soon.  

Speaking of domination, I was amused that Russians won three of the four
gold medals at this Worlds, and although they didn't manage a sweep, the
women on the podium managed to create a Russian flag with their costumes
(white/blue/red).  Molodets!

Quote:
> Who else in Russia?  Maksuta/Zhovirnsky?  Petrova/Pulin?  Names of pairs
> I can't remember?  They don't have *it*, to me.

Well, how many pairs have "it" the way Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze do?
One in a million?  (Well, there aren't that many pairs teams, but you
know what I mean).  I love Maksyuta & Zhovnirski, but they're small and
similar-sized a la Shishkova & Naumov, so I don't know how much of a
future they have.  Totmyanina & Marinin are supposed to be very good
(they have Yeltsova & Bushkov's coach), but I've never seen them.
Nikolayeva & Sokolov train with Nikolai Velikov and they have some
potential too.  (They were 3rd in the free at Jr Worlds, 2nd overall)

Quote:
> What about USA?  Well, the Steiglers can't even compete at Worlds for
> another two years at the least.  Vlandis/Guzman, if they don't break up
> in the next while....I dunno, Handy/Binneboise?  

Yeah, we were all wondering which US pairs teams were going to be at
Worlds next year.  John Zimmerman was there escorting Silvia Fontana
(sorry, JS, if you're reading) but presumably prowling for another
partner at the same time.  Somehow, I can't quite see Lyons &
Zimmerman.  I wouldn't write off the Hartsells.

Quote:
> Zagorska/Siudek will not win medals, ever.

Why do you say that?

Quote:
> My best
> bet right now is......the Ukrainians, or more specifically,
> Obertas/Palarmchuk. I believe they might just make it to Senior Worlds
> next year, and show their stuff really well.  

If she can learn to do the solo jumps.  Then yes, definitely.

Eda

 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Sarah Weinma » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I think what they need is:  the ability to carry off a variety of
> styles.  Better posture.  Closer and more intricate skating, maybe?
> Their flow and speed are right up there with A&P IMHO.  Of course, in
> the jive B&K also had far less difficulty.  Right now, B&K have a very
> nice package but not quite enough to be truly "great."  They also need a
> coach who does not have her own agenda placed ahead of the good of her
> team.

Exactly.  B&K had a wonderful free dance, no doubt about it.  But even so, was
it world-championship calibre, in the end?  Not really.  And about Dubova's
agenda....hell, I'm gonna keep saying this till I'm blue in the face, but B&K
really should go back go K&P if they can.  That was the most beneficial
situation for them.

Quote:
> Similarly to Stojko, I don't think having an entourage of people around
> them telling them that they were ripped off, instead of people telling
> them what they need to improve, has done them any favors.

No kidding.  What the hell is it with Canadian stars?  <sigh>.....which makes
Michelle's "I have to keep improving" press statement all the more
remarkable.....

Quote:
> I disagree.  Sending him back to juniors after he's gone to Worlds is a
> slap in the face.  He needs to go to senior events and learn how to
> fight for his programs.  Besides, he's one of the best men in Canada at
> the senior level.

True.  But I really wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't give it another go at
World Juniors.  Look, say he wins it (I don't know which Russian kids will go
and try to win....), that will make his next foray into worlds a lot better,
because he won't be, "Emmanuel Sandhu, finished 29th a couple of years ago,
eh?" Instead he'd be, "Emmanuel Sandhu, world junior medallist/champ" etc.
Didn't hurt Yags, Plushenko, Kulik...;->

Quote:
> PLYUSHCHENKO will dominate the known universe very, very soon.

I wrote the Goebel comment as jest, and before I saw Evgeny's exhibition.  I
now believe that Evgeny will take over the world next year *grin*

Quote:
> Well, how many pairs have "it" the way Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze do?
> One in a million?  (Well, there aren't that many pairs teams, but you
> know what I mean).  I love Maksyuta & Zhovnirski, but they're small and
> similar-sized a la Shishkova & Naumov, so I don't know how much of a
> future they have.

Yeah.  And....too many world junior medals spells trouble, IMO.  Same with
Elena Ivanova.  I wonder what her career's going to be like.....

Quote:
> Totmyanina & Marinin are supposed to be very good
> (they have Yeltsova & Bushkov's coach), but I've never seen them.
> Nikolayeva & Sokolov train with Nikolai Velikov and they have some
> potential too.  (They were 3rd in the free at Jr Worlds, 2nd overall)

Is Sokolov the jerk who was bossing his partner around?  Will they even stay
together, then?

Quote:
> Yeah, we were all wondering which US pairs teams were going to be at
> Worlds next year.  John Zimmerman was there escorting Silvia Fontana
> (sorry, JS, if you're reading) but presumably prowling for another
> partner at the same time.  Somehow, I can't quite see Lyons &
> Zimmerman.  I wouldn't write off the Hartsells.

I've heard rumors that the Hartsells are thisclose to breaking up.  Plus...I
bet my patootie that I&D will get persuaded to stick around another year for
The Good of USA Pairs Skating, or something like that.

Quote:
> > Zagorska/Siudek will not win medals, ever.

> Why do you say that?

Because every time I see them, Dorota is inconsistent.  Plus....their
presentation leaves something to be desired.  Plus there are too many other
couples that will win medals, IMO, who will surpass them.  IOW, it's just a
hunch ;-o

Quote:
> If she can learn to do the solo jumps.  Then yes, definitely.

Or....if they change the SBS jump to a throw in the short....and I really like
that idea, BTW.  More people can land throws than can land SBS jumps, and it
would make life a heck of a lot easier.

Sarah

 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Stefani » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>In France ? our skater don't even have enough ice time !!

Which makes their achievements all the greater!  They really are wonderful
skaters.
 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Stefani » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00


writes:

Quote:
>He, mom, and grandma live in cramped quarters with another family, whom
>they don't speak to.

My husband is a Muscovite and lived in an apartment they shared with several
families.  I've lived in similar conditions there and can't think that anyone
in the West would put up with it but many Russians still have to.  You made
some nice, astute comments Lorrie and what troubles me is Mischin may be
blinded by the short-term benefits without thinking what such a move would do
to his young skaters.  It amazes me if this were to be so because Mischin seems
a most intelligent man to me but I suppose the financial rewards are tempting.
I know that these two boys have been to America quite a few times to compete
but it's just not the same as living in another country.  Cultural differences
and homesickness kick in after a while.  By the way, where does Maria train?
Doesn't she still train in Russia?  There must be some rink they could go to.

About the money for a new apartment, well...when I left Russia there was still
little private ownership.  It's not so simple just to go out and buy real
estate as we can in the West.  Plus (mentioned by someone else much earlier in
another context) rich Russian sportsmen are mafia targets which actually could
be a reason for him moving but I still think Phoenix is not a good idea.  Marie
said France has financial problems in skating as we do here but Germany is the
richest country in Europe and I'm sure if he had taken more trouble he could
have found facilities there.  The biggest plus is that it's only a couple of
hours away on the plane from Russia.

 
 
 

Final Worlds Thoughts...of sorts ;-> (Really really long)

Post by Virginia Blalo » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>    On a side note -- in _Edge of Glory_, Brennan says Yagudin refused
>to describe his living conditions until all the Russian reporters left.
>He, mom, and grandma live in cramped quarters with another family, whom
>they don't speak to.  When he cried on the podium, I was imagining him
>bringing home prize money and Tom Collins money for a new apartment.

I read in an article that Yags has gotten his family a 4 bedroom
apartment and of course a car for himself. Hey, he's 18 after all! :)
Yay for Yags!

***ia
Visit my skating page:
http://SportToday.org/