First Paintball Experience, LOVED IT!

First Paintball Experience, LOVED IT!

Post by J » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00


Quote:

>I timidly stepped into the arena today, not sure what to expect.
>There were only three of us with Semis, all rented of course.  We
>played everyone for themselves at an indoor place.  Two seperate hits
>and you were out.
>It was pretty dark and hard to see, so it was really fun to sneak
>around.  It was an old abandoned warehouse converted into a paintball
>place.

Welcome to the clube, now you can have a TIP# !   ;-)

+-[Joaquim Santos ?aka Zykor?]-[ TIP#464 ]--+
| The Portuguese Paintball Page             |
| http://www.consiste.pt/ma/paintball       |
+-------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

First Paintball Experience, LOVED IT!

Post by Dathom » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

I timidly stepped into the arena today, not sure what to expect.
There were only three of us with Semis, all rented of course.  We
played everyone for themselves at an indoor place.  Two seperate hits
and you were out.

It was pretty dark and hard to see, so it was really fun to sneak
around.  It was an old abandoned warehouse converted into a paintball
place.

We all had a lot of fun, and quite a few bruises.  One guy got a ball
right between the eyes on his mask.  It was really funny to watch him
come out with his mask frosted with paint.  I was eternally greatful
that I wore my cup, (dick defender)  it saved me from experiencing two
very painfull shots.

I am looking forward to playing out door.  I think that I will like
that more.  The cover will be completely different.  Indoor, you have
to worry about going around a corner and bumping into someone, and the
cover is REAL solid.  Trees and brush will be nice because they can
cover you from sight but not always from paint.

I now know why the snipers don't want the mega loaders with one or two
hundred rounds.  They make TOO MUCH NOISE.  I was about to take a shot
on a guy when my paint shifted and make a bunch of racket so he was
able to take cover and pop me a few times.

I have been watching the "Spray and Pray" conversations and have come
to a few conclusions.

        1)   Large amounts of paint can be used to keep their head down so
that you can move in for a clean, one-shot kill.  The idea of the
mini-hose is to keep them down, not to hit them.

        2)  When you are being shot at repeatedly, once every second or two,
you get really freaked out, at least I do.  I tend to get out of where
I am because I cannot see what my opponent is doing.

        3)  Ten rounds or so shot in quick succession can be used to 'walk'
fire onto a fast moving target.  I was running to a new piece of cover
when one of the other guys jumped up and started unloading.  That is a
really tough thing to deal with.  You know you will probably get hit,
but you want to survive.  I RAN!!!  I got hit three times in a row.
Hurt pretty good too.  I think he was justified in using ten rounds
cause he had to hit a quick moving target in a short amount of time.

        4)  Hosing brings other players to your location to kill you.  I was
laying down a ball everytime he stuck his head out so I could menuever
for a kill when the other player came in behind me and took us both
out.  Quick kills are easier to keep a secret.  If I could have waited
a little longer then popped the guy with one ball, I would not have
taken a hit from the other guy.

THE BIG IDEA   There are right ways to hose, and there are wrong ways.
Laying 30 or 40 rounds on someone in the hopes that you get 'em is a
wrong way.  Keeping up constant fire to keep them occupied is a very
formidable and usefull tactic.  That is a good way to use up paint.
If you need to make a quick retreat, you can always jump up and start
shooting blindly at them to keep em down while you relocate.  I did
this several times.  They thought that I was just shooting at them for
a kill, but I really moved five feet to the right so that when he went
to shoot at my old position, I took him out.

        I can't wait to get my first marker, and start playing more regularly.
Paintball is an excellent sport that I will probably play for years to
come.  Thanks for listening to my speil.  

I have also played laser tag.  Laser tag is a girls game compared to
paintball.  :)

 
 
 

First Paintball Experience, LOVED IT!

Post by Doctor Scien » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

Glad you liked it.....

Please come again.

 
 
 

First Paintball Experience, LOVED IT!

Post by Phlypp » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have been watching the "Spray and Pray" conversations and have come
>to a few conclusions.

>    1)   Large amounts of paint can be used to keep their head down so
>that you can move in for a clean, one-shot kill.  The idea of the
>mini-hose is to keep them down, not to hit them.

Not necessarily.  In outdoor paintball, people use volume to mow down the
brush between them and the bad guys.  I play in Florida, and here there
are a lot of palmettos. You have to shoot several balls.  The first few
knock down the palmettos in front of the guy, the next (and hopefully
last) ball takes him out.  Also, when playing against good players, you
can be sure that you probably won't have a second chance to tag him/her
any time soon, so you HAVE to make sure they walk off the field on that
burst.  

Quote:
>    2)  When you are being shot at repeatedly, once every second or
two,
>you get really freaked out, at least I do.  I tend to get out of where
>I am because I cannot see what my opponent is doing.

Good tactic, something that many people don't do.  They just try to grab
as much ground as they can get.  I like just ducking down and scooting
over a few feet and trying to get a couple of shots off (works really well
in palmettos).  
Quote:
>    3)  Ten rounds or so shot in quick succession can be used to
'walk'
>fire onto a fast moving target.  I was running to a new piece of cover
>when one of the other guys jumped up and started unloading.  That is a
>really tough thing to deal with.  You know you will probably get hit,
>but you want to survive.  I RAN!!!  I got hit three times in a row.
>Hurt pretty good too.  I think he was justified in using ten rounds
>cause he had to hit a quick moving target in a short amount of time.

Again, you may not get a second chance, so you have to make sure you get
him.

Quote:
>    4)  Hosing brings other players to your location to kill you.  I
was
>laying down a ball everytime he stuck his head out so I could menuever
>for a kill when the other player came in behind me and took us both
>out.  Quick kills are easier to keep a secret.  If I could have waited
>a little longer then popped the guy with one ball, I would not have
>taken a hit from the other guy.

True, if the first string doesn't get him (or even if it does), get the
hell out of the line of fire because you know that his buddies are keying
in on your position, or he is doing the same thing.

Quote:
>THE BIG IDEA   There are right ways to hose, and there are wrong ways.
>Laying 30 or 40 rounds on someone in the hopes that you get 'em is a
>wrong way.

Well put, especially for a newer player.

Quote:
>Keeping up constant fire to keep them occupied is a very
>formidable and usefull tactic.  That is a good way to use up paint.
>If you need to make a quick retreat, you can always jump up and start
>shooting blindly at them to keep em down while you relocate.  I did
>this several times.  They thought that I was just shooting at them for
>a kill, but I really moved five feet to the right so that when he went
>to shoot at my old position, I took him out.

This won't work so well with experienced players.  If they don't hear the
paint hitting their cover, they can ignore it.  It can make one jump a
little, though, but don't always count on it.

Quote:
>I have also played laser tag.  Laser tag is a girls game compared to
>paintball.  :)

Careful, there are quite a few women who play, and very well at that.   I
fear you may get flamed soon.  In any case, welcome.

Flip
TIP #1186
"Perfect is the enemy of Good Enough"

 
 
 

First Paintball Experience, LOVED IT!

Post by pr.. » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

On May 27, 1996 00:19:03 in article <First Paintball Experience, LOVED

Quote:

>I timidly stepped into the arena today, not sure what to expect.
>There were only three of us with Semis, all rented of course.  We
>played everyone for themselves at an indoor place.  Two seperate hits
>and you were out.

>It was pretty dark and hard to see, so it was really fun to sneak
>around.  It was an old abandoned warehouse converted into a paintball
>place.

     Congrats on your first day.  Just out of couriosity, were you playing
at the Paintball Arena in Pontiac, MI.  Some of your refferences seemed to
point that way.
--
                                      Proto
                          Of Detroit's Finest
                               Damage Inc.
TIP# 1730
 
 
 

First Paintball Experience, LOVED IT!

Post by Dathom » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:
>     Congrats on your first day.  Just out of couriosity, were you playing
>at the Paintball Arena in Pontiac, MI.  Some of your refferences seemed to
>point that way.

Nope, Paintball USA in Fort Wayne, IN.
 
 
 

First Paintball Experience, LOVED IT!

Post by Tyge » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>         1)   Large amounts of paint can be used to keep their head down so
> that you can move in for a clean, one-shot kill.  The idea of the
> mini-hose is to keep them down, not to hit them.

That works, yes.  But if they make a "HIT" noise, STOP IMMEDIATELY!  (Even
if it's a swear...  It's just courtesy...)

Quote:
>         2)  When you are being shot at repeatedly, once every second or two,
> you get really freaked out, at least I do.  I tend to get out of where
> I am because I cannot see what my opponent is doing.

...see #1?  :)

Quote:
>         3)  Ten rounds or so shot in quick succession can be used to 'walk'
> fire onto a fast moving target.

...it's easier to 'lead' your target, shooting infront of them to allow
them to run into a paintball.

Quote:
> I was running to a new piece of cover
> when one of the other guys jumped up and started unloading.  That is a
> really tough thing to deal with.  You know you will probably get hit,
> but you want to survive.  I RAN!!!  I got hit three times in a row.

When you commit, don't stop.  KEEP MOVING!  Once you break cover, focus on
that position.  When you get there, then stop.

Quote:
>         4)  Hosing brings other players to your location to kill you.

:)

Quote:
> THE BIG IDEA   There are right ways to hose, and there are wrong ways.

Knowing when to stop hosing is a good thing, and knowing how to switch
styles is good too.

Quote:
> I have also played laser tag.  Laser tag is a girls game compared to
> paintball.  :)

Lasergames are a good 'warm-up' for paintball.  It's also a good way to
teach high-stress teamwork.  (EXPENSIVE, but effective)  I use a good game
of Lazer Zone to hone myself for paintball.  (I arrange is so I count for
X3 the points when I get tagged at the arena...)  Don't knock it,
lasergames are very cool (and goggles aren't manditory!)

-Tyger
--
NOTE : Due to my usenet provider, there's apparently a
24 hour lag.  Many appologies for this.

:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;::;,.,;:
: "It's amazing what you can find in a salvage yard, 'aye T-Bone?" :
:----------------------------------------->    -Razor, Swat Kats   :
:   Schrodinger's Cat had 18 half lives    >-----------------------:
:------------------------------------------->     Tyger's Den      :
:  Snipe Hunting Tours for '96!      http://www.luminet.net/~tyger :
:        TiP #021 : Hobbes Patrol <Captain / Founding Member>#3    :
:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;:;,.,;::;,.,;: