Boat storage projects

Boat storage projects

Post by donal.ca.. » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 22:02:29


Considering feasibities for boat storage within a pretty country area
(therefore lots of planning constraints).

Option 1 . Church. Requires removal of masonary and stained glass
window. Does anyone have examples of this sort of project.

Option 2 . Steeply sloping bank out of flood plain. Considering
building boxes(like boat coffins for want of a better description)
into the earth. Probably galvanised steel lids and either galvanised
or concrete box sections. Would think they would have drainage rather
than trying to make 100% sealed dry.

Also does anyone have pontoons they are getting rid of??????????

Regards

Donal

 
 
 

Boat storage projects

Post by carl_b.. » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 00:13:25



Quote:
> Option 1 . Church.

Oh my god !    what a radical idea.... if it happens, they'll make you
a saint, Donal.

 
 
 

Boat storage projects

Post by Fordmeiste » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 18:34:29



Quote:
> Considering feasibities for boat storage within a pretty country area
> (therefore lots of planning constraints).

> Option 1 . Church. Requires removal of masonary and stained glass
> window. Does anyone have examples of this sort of project.

> Option 2 . Steeply sloping bank out of flood plain. Considering
> building boxes(like boat coffins for want of a better description)
> into the earth. Probably galvanised steel lids and either galvanised
> or concrete box sections. Would think they would have drainage rather
> than trying to make 100% sealed dry.

> Also does anyone have pontoons they are getting rid of??????????

> Regards

> Donal

If its a church that has been built prior to 1971 it will likely be
Grade 2, Grade 2 star or Grade 1 listed. No chance of touching it at
all.

If its a temporary strcuture you don't need planning permission
(dependant on size of the building). If you want to do it properly
your best bet is to go with something like a seeded roof.

Either way, call the local council and you will normally find their
planing officers very helpful.

If you touch the church ..... well only the Great Man upstairs can say
yes to that !

 
 
 

Boat storage projects

Post by JK » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 18:56:27

I'm no expert, and I don't know your budget, but if wooden outbuilding
type counts as temporary structure, plus you need a traditional look
to fit into the pretty countryside (possibly sunken from view with
seeded roof) then Border Oak are a company worth considering....

 http://www.borderoak.com/

I'm not connected in anyway other than a Herefordshire lad proud to
recommend Herefordshire companies! They were kind enough to provide
quotes for when we were looking at rebuilding our boathouses
(currently former Army Barrack huts designed to last 30 years and now
at least 50yrs+!!).. a few years ago but cost was favourable to brick
and steel construction.

There's a fair few rowing clubs with cross motifs on their kit, but I
can't think of one with its own Chapel!

Going back in time, there is always the option of converted houseboats
which used to be done at Radley/Oxford?.. solves the problem of
drastically moving water levels so long as moored strongly!

Good Luck

James

 
 
 

Boat storage projects

Post by kdav.. » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 19:09:15


Quote:
> I'm no expert, and I don't know your budget, but if wooden outbuilding
> type counts as temporary structure, plus you need a traditional look
> to fit into the pretty countryside (possibly sunken from view with
> seeded roof) then Border Oak are a company worth considering....

> ?http://www.borderoak.com/

Very nice! I particularly like the idea of a thatched boathouse!
Kit
 
 
 

Boat storage projects

Post by Dona » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 21:59:53

thanks James

Donal

 
 
 

Boat storage projects

Post by Dona » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 22:26:26

Its correct to say that carrying out work to a listed building without
consent is a criminal offence. Fines / possibly prison etc. However
you can carry out works to listed buildings including churches and
many people do(with consent).

At end of day when deconsecrated if no longer used as a church and not
used for a community use it is almost certain it would become a
residential property. The planners dont like additional opening to be
put in but quite often they accede. Also for info there is a stained
glass window museum in Ely which is effectively there as a result of
developments to Churches requiring the removal of the existing stained
glass.

Im just looking for specific examples as to whether anyone has for
boathouse purposes.

Regards

Donal

 
 
 

Boat storage projects

Post by Henry La » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 06:02:24

Quote:

> If its a church that has been built prior to 1971 it will likely be
> Grade 2, Grade 2 star or Grade 1 listed. No chance of touching it at
> all.

Not only is that not entirely true in respect of listed buildings (as
someone else posted there are well defined ways of modifying them) but
it's not entirely true of "churches".  They vary a lot and regardless of
their age some are not thought to be architecturally or socially
particularly significant and aren't listed at all.

Quote:
> If you touch the church ..... well only the Great Man upstairs can say
> yes to that !

Again, no: there's a saying that "The church is what you've got left
when the building burns down", or in this case converted to a boathouse.