British Rowing Almanacs

British Rowing Almanacs

Post by m.. » Tue, 28 Oct 2003 05:46:46


Hi,

Just wondering if any public libraries in London would have the British
Rowing Almanacs on display.

Cheers.

 
 
 

British Rowing Almanacs

Post by Christopher Anto » Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:45:40

I know it's not in London, but the Cambridge University Libary has
definitely got a set.
Quote:

> Hi,

> Just wondering if any public libraries in London would have the British
> Rowing Almanacs on display.

> Cheers.


 
 
 

British Rowing Almanacs

Post by chris harriso » Wed, 29 Oct 2003 06:29:26

Quote:

> I know it's not in London, but the Cambridge University Libary has
> definitely got a set.

The British Library (St Pancras, http://www.bl.uk/) is also a copyright
library so should do (along with the Bodleian in Oxford, the National
Libraries of Wales (Aberystwyth) and Scotland (Edinburgh) and Trinity
College, Dublin). As copyright libraries they are entitled to every
published work in the UK - although whether they take them is another
matter.

And, whether they will be available for perusal to the casual visitor
will be less certain.

 
 
 

British Rowing Almanacs

Post by Conor O'Neil » Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:45:48


Quote:

> > I know it's not in London, but the Cambridge University Libary has
> > definitely got a set.

> The British Library (St Pancras, http://www.bl.uk/) is also a copyright
> library so should do (along with the Bodleian in Oxford, the National
> Libraries of Wales (Aberystwyth) and Scotland (Edinburgh) and Trinity
> College, Dublin). As copyright libraries they are entitled to every
> published work in the UK - although whether they take them is another
> matter.

The Bod should get sent all UK published works automatically - they don't
decide on whether to take them.  Of course a fair amount slips through the
net.

A quick check on OLIS (Oxford Libraries Information System) reveals that
British Rowing Almanack is indeed there.  Not consulted that often, so
relegated to BOD Nuneham - an off-site storage centre.  There is also one
copy in Wadham College Library (it's got a photo of one of our college crews
in it, so I persuaded the librarian to buy a copy).

Quote:
> And, whether they will be available for perusal to the casual visitor
> will be less certain.

Certainly not in the case of the Bod - Students / University Staff or
Bodlean Readers only - though Readers' tickets can be obtained for a fee.

All best,

Conor

 
 
 

British Rowing Almanacs

Post by Richard Packe » Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:33:00


Quote:
> A quick check on OLIS (Oxford Libraries Information System) reveals that
> British Rowing Almanack is indeed there.  Not consulted that often, so
> relegated to BOD Nuneham - an off-site storage centre.

I understand that the ARA has recently obtained a full set of Almanacks.
Try contacting them?

Richard

 
 
 

British Rowing Almanacs

Post by David Biddulp » Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:48:54


Quote:



> > > I know it's not in London, but the Cambridge University Libary has
> > > definitely got a set.

> > The British Library (St Pancras, http://www.bl.uk/) is also a copyright
> > library so should do (along with the Bodleian in Oxford, the National
> > Libraries of Wales (Aberystwyth) and Scotland (Edinburgh) and Trinity
> > College, Dublin). As copyright libraries they are entitled to every
> > published work in the UK - although whether they take them is another
> > matter.

> The Bod should get sent all UK published works automatically - they don't
> decide on whether to take them.  Of course a fair amount slips through the
> net.

There is a distinction between the British Library and the others.  The BL
should get the publications without claim, the others need to claim them.

"The Bodleian Library (along with the University Library, Cambridge, the
National Library of Scotland, Trinity College, Dublin and the National
Library of Wales) is entitled under the terms of the various Copyright Acts
to claim a free copy of every work published in the United Kingdom and
Ireland, a process generally referred to as Legal Deposit. These libraries
together employ an Agent, who claims on their behalf, and receives and
distributes books and periodicals for them. A sixth library, the British
Library, is entitled to receive the material without claim and employs the
Legal Deposit Office to manage this. The Bodleian works closely at all
levels with the other Copyright libraries on all matters concerned with
legal deposit and its applications."
 from http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/boris/guides/bod/colldev.htm.
Similar information is published elsewhere.
http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/introrightlegaldeposit.htm explains the situation
from the CU point of view.
--
David Biddulph
Rowing web pages at
http://www.biddulph.org.uk/