UK: Amateur Rowing Association gives birth to British Rowing

UK: Amateur Rowing Association gives birth to British Rowing

Post by porte » Sun, 27 Sep 2009 20:57:24


as the smart new web site reminds me.

Congratulations! I trust mother and baby are doing well?

but this "Competition Secretary" feels so foolish

Can a reader, who has worked out how to log in, please share the
recipe?

Richard still not Porter, never have been

 
 
 

UK: Amateur Rowing Association gives birth to British Rowing

Post by porte » Sun, 27 Sep 2009 21:04:52


Quote:
> as the smart new web site reminds me.
> Congratulations! I trust mother and baby are doing well?
> but this "Competition Secretary" feels so foolish
> Can a reader, who has worked out how to log in, please share the
> recipe?
> Richard still not Porter, never have been

No, sorry everybody, cracked it .....

"Log in" has migrated to a tiny little box at the top, then you have
to DELETE "Username" or whatever before you type in your username,
which is otherwise invalid, then hit "Online services" I think, then
finally the blue icons pitch up over on the left

Keeps us on our toes, pity mine are so old

Richard

 
 
 

UK: Amateur Rowing Association gives birth to British Rowing

Post by carolinet » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:31:40

Plus ?a change, plus c'est la mme chose, as the saying goes.

OARA seems to be working better these days, and I see you can now
upload results as a .csv file.  Haven't tried it yet, will report back
in a few weeks time after the Weybridge Silver Sculls (24th October).

End of commercial.

Caroline

 
 
 

UK: Amateur Rowing Association gives birth to British Rowing

Post by Phil » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:02:19


Quote:
> as the smart new web site reminds me.

> Congratulations! I trust mother and baby are doing well?

> but this "Competition Secretary" feels so foolish

> Can a reader, who has worked out how to log in, please share the
> recipe?

> Richard still not Porter, never have been

I'll say it before Carl does - Emperors New Clothes....
 
 
 

UK: Amateur Rowing Association gives birth to British Rowing

Post by pdb » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:19:57


Quote:
> Plus ?a change, plus c'est la mme chose, as the saying goes.

> OARA seems to be working better these days, and I see you can now
> upload results as a .csv file. ?Haven't tried it yet, will report back
> in a few weeks time after the Weybridge Silver Sculls (24th October).

> End of commercial.

> Caroline

We used the upload at Marlow this year on Saturday so we could see
changes to crews which had also entered on Sunday; it worked well,
according to MSJ our Secretary, he exported the results from our
regatta software database so no extra keyboard work was involved. On
Sunday we had all the results on OARA immediately after the regatta so
avoided the extra cost.
 
 
 

UK: Amateur Rowing Association gives birth to British Rowing

Post by Alistai » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:39:31

The website has just had a minor facelift to the theme to apply the
new branding and at the same time we are starting to implement a more
robust way of linking in the different online services we currently
provide across different websites, more of which are being worked on
at the moment.

We planning on running a full website review at the beginning of the
new year to take a look at the content, organisation, layout and how
well they serve the membership. There are currently 3,050 individual
pages and we need to serve a wide range of different users that want
different things from the website, so we are keen to keep looking
critically at the website and what we can do to improve it for people.

There is no need to wait until the survey though as we are always keen
to receive feedback before then, and if you spot anything wrong or
think of ways it can be improved please drop us an email and let us
know on sitefeedback (AT) britishrowing.org

Kind regards,

Alistair

 
 
 

UK: Amateur Rowing Association gives birth to British Rowing

Post by Christopher Anto » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:53:34

We did raise on Sunday what has happened to the OARA user group. It seems to
have migrated onto RowHow.


Plus a change, plus c'est la m me chose, as the saying goes.

OARA seems to be working better these days, and I see you can now
upload results as a .csv file.  Haven't tried it yet, will report back
in a few weeks time after the Weybridge Silver Sculls (24th October).

End of commercial.

Caroline

 
 
 

UK: Amateur Rowing Association gives birth to British Rowing

Post by Digitalsafari » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 20:00:40

Just in case anyone is reading this on a Sunday, I'm trying to submit
the results for the Wallingford Long Distance Sculls and all I get is
a message

The following errors occurred:
Fatal error: CSV Parse Error 0

I'm trying to follow the format described in
http://help.britishrowing.org/wiki/Online_Entry/Comp_Admin/Results/CSV

and running out of ideas of what to change.  Any suggestions
appreciated so I don't have to wait until Monday and contact BR/ARA.

OARA may be "working better these days", but not to the extent of
helpful error messages.

David
(if you have ideas, and want to contact me direct, please email david
(at)digitalsafaris.com)

 
 
 

UK: Amateur Rowing Association gives birth to British Rowing

Post by Kit » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 16:49:43


Quote:
> Just in case anyone is reading this on a Sunday, I'm trying to submit
> the results for the Wallingford Long Distance Sculls and all I get is
> a message

> The following errors occurred:
> Fatal error: CSV Parse Error 0

> I'm trying to follow the format described inhttp://help.britishrowing.org/wiki/Online_Entry/Comp_Admin/Results/CSV

> and running out of ideas of what to change. ?Any suggestions
> appreciated so I don't have to wait until Monday and contact BR/ARA.

> OARA may be "working better these days", but not to the extent of
> helpful error messages.

> David
> (if you have ideas, and want to contact me direct, please email david
> (at)digitalsafaris.com)

I don't know about this particular system, but most CSV readers have
the following caveats (you may know all this already. If so ignore
me):
1. Any single item of text that contains commas should go in double
quotes
2. Any single item of text that contains double quotes should go into
double quotes with each double quote within the text converted to 2
consecutive double quotes (eg zzzz "qq"  becomes "zzzz ""qq""")

Looking at the examples at the bottom of the page, they seem to be
able to deal with alot of variation, so it may be something as simple
as the standard column names etc.

May help.
Kit

 
 
 

UK: Amateur Rowing Association gives birth to British Rowing

Post by Digitalsafari » Thu, 08 Oct 2009 02:21:36

Kit - thanks for helping
On the right lines - it was objecting to single quotes in club names.
Bug in system now fixed, and eg Queen's College now allowed.
Problem with a second, stripped down, file was that I didn't supply a
column name for a column which had no data.
Data now in the system, I hope.
David