Short Sculler Revisited-Rigging..

Short Sculler Revisited-Rigging..

Post by KenC » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:46:20


I'm a short male sculler, 51YO, 5'4", 140#.  I row a MAAS Flyweight
which fits me like a glove, and allows a fair amount of adjustment.  My
situation is that relating to seperation of my hands in an efficient
position, and the rig. I row Ocean as well as flat water but this
question is for flat water.

As it stands now my rig is set at:  Spread 160CM, IB 87, Oar Length 288
and am very comfortable at that load.  By the time i set the foot
stretcher so i'm not crowded i'm approx 5+ inches away from the pin at
catch!

I reviewed Terry Oniels ideas for rigging for individuals that are very
short, and they make sense.  I cannot get the 154 he mentions for
Spread but the next combo up is:  155 Spread and oar length of 284.
With this set up what inboard would be considered to heavy??  I am
stronger for my size but it seems the numbers at this spread and my
short legs will be pretty heavy.

I'm in a quandry as to: 1.) live with the inefficeincy,2.) try the 155
with play with the IB and Oar length, 3.)or play with the IB and Oar
length at the present 160. To get a bit closer to the center of work.

Thanks for any ideas.

KC

 
 
 

Short Sculler Revisited-Rigging..

Post by Jeremy Faga » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:16:33

Quote:

> I'm a short male sculler, 51YO, 5'4", 140#.  I row a MAAS Flyweight
> which fits me like a glove, and allows a fair amount of adjustment.  My
> situation is that relating to seperation of my hands in an efficient
> position, and the rig. I row Ocean as well as flat water but this
> question is for flat water.

> As it stands now my rig is set at:  Spread 160CM, IB 87, Oar Length 288
> and am very comfortable at that load.  By the time i set the foot
> stretcher so i'm not crowded i'm approx 5+ inches away from the pin at
> catch!

> I reviewed Terry Oniels ideas for rigging for individuals that are very
> short, and they make sense.  I cannot get the 154 he mentions for
> Spread but the next combo up is:  155 Spread and oar length of 284.
> With this set up what inboard would be considered to heavy??  I am
> stronger for my size but it seems the numbers at this spread and my
> short legs will be pretty heavy.

> I'm in a quandry as to: 1.) live with the inefficeincy,2.) try the 155
> with play with the IB and Oar length, 3.)or play with the IB and Oar
> length at the present 160. To get a bit closer to the center of work.

> Thanks for any ideas.

> KC

I used to scull on 158cm, 284 length, 86 inboard (I think). Felt fine to
me. I think that if you went right down to 155cm, you'd probably want
even shorter blades than 284. I'm a bit taller than you at 5'11 (on a
good day..)

If what you've got feels good to you, then make changes gradually -
maybe go to 158 to start, and take 1cm off inboard and 2cm off outboard

Cheers

Jeremy

 
 
 

Short Sculler Revisited-Rigging..

Post by andy.ni.. » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:43:30

I'd first try 158/86/285 or 158/85/282 and then possibly 156/85/282.

Check your height, I found I had a lot more room when I put the rigger
heights up to port 18cm and starboard 19cm seat to swivel, (I had to
use 4 degrees of wedges to get that).

I also toom 20mm of the end of each spoon (concept2 smoothies).

I'm 5'10" and currently using 158/86/285 if that helps at all.  I get
about 5-10cm through the pins.

 
 
 

Short Sculler Revisited-Rigging..

Post by paul_v_sm.. » Thu, 07 Jul 2005 03:55:35

What type of oars are you using?  And a bit more detail of build would
be helpful. You say "short legs", but how about torso and arms,
waistline?

Your current settings for span and inboard are pretty standard, though
88cm inboard would be more common with 160cm span.

You are right at the capcity limit for a Maas Flyweight, and might want
to consider a set of "wedges" to give you a bit more height. (also
suggested by Andy).   I'm at the upper limit for a Maas 24 and must use
wedges if I want any hope of having good clearance.  My wife rows with
span 158, inboard 87, OAL 286, and seems to get along quite well with
it.  She recently changed from an inboard of 86, and found that the
additional overlap  was more comfortable in use.  If you can get a
couple pairs of CLAMs for easy inboard adjustment, it makes for useful
experimenting while out on the water.

- Paul Smith

 
 
 

Short Sculler Revisited-Rigging..

Post by Walter Martindal » Thu, 07 Jul 2005 04:32:11

Quote:

> I'm a short male sculler, 51YO, 5'4", 140#.  I row a MAAS Flyweight
> which fits me like a glove, and allows a fair amount of adjustment.  My
> situation is that relating to seperation of my hands in an efficient
> position, and the rig. I row Ocean as well as flat water but this
> question is for flat water.

> As it stands now my rig is set at:  Spread 160CM, IB 87, Oar Length 288
> and am very comfortable at that load.  By the time i set the foot
> stretcher so i'm not crowded i'm approx 5+ inches away from the pin at
> catch!

> I reviewed Terry Oniels ideas for rigging for individuals that are very
> short, and they make sense.  I cannot get the 154 he mentions for
> Spread but the next combo up is:  155 Spread and oar length of 284.
> With this set up what inboard would be considered to heavy??  I am
> stronger for my size but it seems the numbers at this spread and my
> short legs will be pretty heavy.

> I'm in a quandry as to: 1.) live with the inefficeincy,2.) try the 155
> with play with the IB and Oar length, 3.)or play with the IB and Oar
> length at the present 160. To get a bit closer to the center of work.

> Thanks for any ideas.

> KC

Well, if you're going to try 155..  Try 155/2 + 8cm for inboard.
=77.5+8
=85.5 cm for your inbord.
If this is too heavy, can you shorten your oars more?  If you go to 86.5
you'll be getting more cross-over, less angle at the catch, and a
relatively slower finish due to the larger arc.
My thoughts.
 
 
 

Short Sculler Revisited-Rigging..

Post by KenC » Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:18:54

Paul,

I'm using C2, Ultralight's, BB.  My arms are longer, i do have rather
large thighs from cycling waistline 31. Lets say a stocky build. I'm
maxed out with washers on the locks but feel comfortable at that
height. My coach is unfortunately gone for the summer so the timming
for my "fine tuning" is not the best.

Quote:

> What type of oars are you using?  And a bit more detail of build would
> be helpful. You say "short legs", but how about torso and arms,
> waistline?

> Your current settings for span and inboard are pretty standard, though
> 88cm inboard would be more common with 160cm span.

> You are right at the capcity limit for a Maas Flyweight, and might want
> to consider a set of "wedges" to give you a bit more height. (also
> suggested by Andy).   I'm at the upper limit for a Maas 24 and must use
> wedges if I want any hope of having good clearance.  My wife rows with
> span 158, inboard 87, OAL 286, and seems to get along quite well with
> it.  She recently changed from an inboard of 86, and found that the
> additional overlap  was more comfortable in use.  If you can get a
> couple pairs of CLAMs for easy inboard adjustment, it makes for useful
> experimenting while out on the water.

> - Paul Smith

 
 
 

Short Sculler Revisited-Rigging..

Post by paul_v_sm.. » Fri, 08 Jul 2005 00:57:54

Quote:

> Paul,

> I'm using C2, Ultralight's, BB.  My arms are longer, i do have rather
> large thighs from cycling waistline 31. Lets say a stocky build. I'm
> maxed out with washers on the locks but feel comfortable at that
> height. My coach is unfortunately gone for the summer so the timming
> for my "fine tuning" is not the best.

Definitely no "spare tire" to worry about, good on you!  [:o)
I'd definitely look into the Wedges from Maas, they only rais you about
2/3 of what the washers do, so you can easily be at the same height if
you do not find the aditional height a benefit, though with larger
thighs, I'm nearly certain you will.  Even if you do settle on the same
height, being lower on the pin reduces the torque on the rigger for a
more consistent feeling through the drive.  Finally, having more room
than you "need" is always better than not having enough.  With the BB,
I'd suggest making the OAL as short as it will go and then go with 88
inboard on your existing 160 span as a fun experiment.  Of course for
any experiment to be valid you do need some form of objective speed
measurement that is at least repeatable. Then try the Longest length
possible with the 88 inboard. Make sure to focus on what both feel like
to you, you may even find out that it's very difficult to percieve the
change.

Have fun.

- Paul Smith

Quote:

> > What type of oars are you using?  And a bit more detail of build would
> > be helpful. You say "short legs", but how about torso and arms,
> > waistline?

> > Your current settings for span and inboard are pretty standard, though
> > 88cm inboard would be more common with 160cm span.

> > You are right at the capcity limit for a Maas Flyweight, and might want
> > to consider a set of "wedges" to give you a bit more height. (also
> > suggested by Andy).   I'm at the upper limit for a Maas 24 and must use
> > wedges if I want any hope of having good clearance.  My wife rows with
> > span 158, inboard 87, OAL 286, and seems to get along quite well with
> > it.  She recently changed from an inboard of 86, and found that the
> > additional overlap  was more comfortable in use.  If you can get a
> > couple pairs of CLAMs for easy inboard adjustment, it makes for useful
> > experimenting while out on the water.

> > - Paul Smith

 
 
 

Short Sculler Revisited-Rigging..

Post by KenC » Sat, 09 Jul 2005 05:41:41

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.  At this point i'm going
to experiment a bit.  I have a speed coach so i'll be able to at least
see if the changes make any difference in speed and stroke rate.

I am going to mount the rigger wedges to give just a bit more room in
the height area.  I plan to reduce my inboard by 1 and length by 2 and
get a bit closer to the pin and still have an inch or 2 of seperation
after i uncross.

I did do some close extimation and to get my hip joint to the pin i'd
need like an 83/84 inboard in order to uncross my hands!!!  Yikes!! So
i guess i just get a s close as i can and row ***y fast and smooth!!

Thanks again,

Ken

 
 
 

Short Sculler Revisited-Rigging..

Post by andy.ni.. » Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:29:05

Quote:
> I did do some close extimation and to get my hip joint to the pin i'd
> need like an 83/84 inboard in order to uncross my hands!!!

The wedges will give you a bit extra room, as will leaning back more at
the finish (if you can lean back any more).
 
 
 

Short Sculler Revisited-Rigging..

Post by Steven M- » Sun, 10 Jul 2005 04:27:25

Quote:

> I'd first try 158/86/285 or 158/85/282 and then possibly 156/85/282.

> Check your height, I found I had a lot more room when I put the rigger
> heights up to port 18cm and starboard 19cm seat to swivel, (I had to
> use 4 degrees of wedges to get that).

> I also toom 20mm of the end of each spoon (concept2 smoothies).

> I'm 5'10" and currently using 158/86/285 if that helps at all.  I get
> about 5-10cm through the pins.

Andy,

How do you measure "through the pins"? From the front of the seat or
the center of the seat holes?

Steven M-M