PAC 10's/PCRCs

PAC 10's/PCRCs

Post by dana » Thu, 13 Apr 1995 04:00:00


hello all. this morning i saw a post naming the dates for PAC 10s and
PCRCs at Redwood Shores and Lake Natoma, respectively.  My question is --
how do they plan to run the PAC 10 championships on only a two lane
course?  Will it be like the old days where the championship was decided
by a process of elimination? When did they (whomever they is) decide to
split the west coast championships into two regattas and why?  just
curious.
 
 
 

PAC 10's/PCRCs

Post by DaveFla » Fri, 14 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Thanks for posting the dates of the PAC-10 Championships this year.  When
did they start spliting the PCRC's and PAC-10's up?  It has been about 3
years since I coxed for the Washington State LIghtweight Men's Varsity 8
but what I enjoyed was the more teams, the more excitment.  I thought it
was a blast when all 8 lanes are filled with crews, it sure made it fun
when calling a race not to keep talking about the same team all the time.
Is this something new just this year?  It doesn't really make me want to
go and watch if it's just going to be another dual.  I guess the San Diego
Crew Classic is now the only one on the West Coast with multiple teams in
a race.  

 
 
 

PAC 10's/PCRCs

Post by Amy Abb » Sat, 15 Apr 1995 04:00:00

This IS the first year that PAC-10s and PCRCs will be separate.  We'll
see how it goes, but I have talked to several of the coaches from the
smaller colleges in the Seattle area and the general sense is that the
split will not be long lived.

In some ways it may make PCRCs more fun to watch since Washington won't
be there to pound the smaller clubs.  On the flip side, who's to say one
of those smaller programs isn't able to pull an upset.  I see the whole
situation as similar to Dad Vail vs. Eastern Sprints except that
qualification is by membership in the PAC-10 system rather than by the
individual institutions evaluating their own competitive level and
petitioning for "membership".

Since I am a post-collegiate rower, I can watch the process without
really worrying about its effects on me personally.

Amy Abbot
Seattle Rowing Club

 
 
 

PAC 10's/PCRCs

Post by Sullys Ma » Sat, 15 Apr 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

>This IS the first year that PAC-10s and PCRCs will be separate.  We'll

That's not quite true...  The PCRCs were formed as a joining of a
split up West Coast rowing in 1985 or so.

Quote:
>see how it goes, but I have talked to several of the coaches from the
>smaller colleges in the Seattle area and the general sense is that the
>split will not be long lived.

The last one was 7 years.

Cal and Washington have different needs in a championship regatta
than do UCSB or PLU (for example).  The PAC10 is a conveniently
small vehicle that they can control.  It's a shame for the small
school who every once in a while can be competitive with the top,
but dealing with the west coast collegiate rowing scene as a whole
can be hell.

Quote:

>Since I am a post-collegiate rower, I can watch the process without
>really worrying about its effects on me personally.

It no longer is affecting me personally, but once it did.  I won't
get started on it.  I'm not at all familiar with the specifics this
time around as I was the first time, but it hardly matters.  The
first time around, the specifics of why the Pac10 split out were a
bald lie.

Mike

 
 
 

PAC 10's/PCRCs

Post by Jim Kreuzig » Sat, 15 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Thanks for posting the dates of the PAC-10 Championships this year.  When
>did they start spliting the PCRC's and PAC-10's up?  It has been about 3
>years since I coxed for the Washington State LIghtweight Men's Varsity 8
>but what I enjoyed was the more teams, the more excitment.  I thought it
>was a blast when all 8 lanes are filled with crews, it sure made it fun
>when calling a race not to keep talking about the same team all the time.
>Is this something new just this year?  It doesn't really make me want to
>go and watch if it's just going to be another dual.  I guess the San Diego
>Crew Classic is now the only one on the West Coast with multiple teams in
>a race.  

It is my impression that the PAC-10 schools have decided to break off from
the WIRA schools and form there own championships.  Although this does
eliminate competition from the PCRC's, there are still enough schools out
there to have a good competitive races.

So if you want your PAC-10 competition, I guess you have to wait for next
year's Crew Classic or try to arrange some dual meets.

_______________________________________________________________________________
Jim Kreuziger
University of California Irvine
Department of Physics

UCI Crew
_______________________________________________________________________________

 
 
 

PAC 10's/PCRCs

Post by LAWVE.. » Sat, 15 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I am rather upset regarding the split-up. The reason is that since most
of the men's lightweight competition is located at Pac 10 schools, we
really don't have any competition in the WIRA schools. PLU has for the
last 9 years or so have enjoyed some respectable standings every year at
PCRC's. Now it seems that the whole point of rowing at a higher level is
defeated.

If PCRC's becomes a gathering of small schools,it  makes it feel like a
regional competition, OH JOY.

Sarcasm aside, it seems more a political move then a pratical one. On a
positive note, at PCRC's the offical regatta time will not be
"8:35am---Woff"( A husky alum, always seems to be the announcer).

If any one would like to comment send them directly to me or just post
them or RSR.

--t

 
 
 

PAC 10's/PCRCs

Post by DaveFla » Sun, 16 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Well, as all of you have agreed we will have to see how the split between
the PAC-10's and PCRC goes this year.  I remember quite a few good teams
from the PCRC's groups including a quite awesome Orange Coast College.
Also in the Lightweight class, which is what I coxed in, we were always
fearful of UCSB which basiclly dominated the 4 four years I was in it.
Also Humbolt had a pretty good team in '92.  Also other comments have been
mentioned about the lack of West Coast Lightweights. I think that 1992 was
the last good year for Varsity Lightweight Men's 8 at PAC-10's/PCRC.
Since then it has been mostly 4's.  With the division of PAC-10's & PCRC's
I'm afraid of loosing that classification altogether.  Unfortunatly, the
new head coach at Washington State University doesn't believe in the
Lightweight Catagory and has eliminated the winning tradidtion of the WSU
Lightweight Men.  I think it's a shame.  It sure gave everyone a change to
compete.  I hope to read a lot of comments about this year PAC-10's and
PCRC's, I want to know what everyone thinks.  Alos is Champion wtill a
sponsor of the event and of which one know?

-David LaViollette
 Washington State University Varsity Lightweight Men's 8 Coxswain 88-92  

 
 
 

PAC 10's/PCRCs

Post by Andrew Evere » Tue, 18 Apr 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
>This IS the first year that PAC-10s and PCRCs will be separate.  We'll
>see how it goes, but I have talked to several of the coaches from the
>smaller colleges in the Seattle area and the general sense is that the
>split will not be long lived.

>In some ways it may make PCRCs more fun to watch since Washington won't
>be there to pound the smaller clubs.  On the flip side, who's to say one
>of those smaller programs isn't able to pull an upset.  I see the whole
>situation as similar to Dad Vail vs. Eastern Sprints except that
>qualification is by membership in the PAC-10 system rather than by the
>individual institutions evaluating their own competitive level and
>petitioning for "membership".

>Since I am a post-collegiate rower, I can watch the process without
>really worrying about its effects on me personally.

>Amy Abbot
>Seattle Rowing Club

If I remember correctly, Pac-10's were a separate event prior to the creation of
PCRC's. My thoughts may be rusty but I remember someone saying at  my first
PCRC back in 1986 that there was a separate event and that PCRC's was
the combination of the West Coast championships and PAC-10's? I think PCRC's was
created in the late 70's or early 80's? Anyone out there have any history on the
PCRC's and can shed some light?

Andy
OSU Crew '86-'88

 
 
 

PAC 10's/PCRCs

Post by Sullys Ma » Tue, 18 Apr 1995 04:00:00



Quote:

>If I remember correctly, Pac-10's were a separate event prior to the creation of
>PCRC's. My thoughts may be rusty but I remember someone saying at  my first
>PCRC back in 1986 that there was a separate event and that PCRC's was
>the combination of the West Coast championships and PAC-10's? I think PCRC's was
>created in the late 70's or early 80's? Anyone out there have any history on the
>PCRC's and can shed some light?

As I had recently posted, West Coast rowing had been arbitrarily
split up for a 7 year period from 1977-1983 into WIRA and Pac10.
Formerly, West Coast collegiate rowing was loosely organized into
WICCA (Western Intercollegiate Crew Coaches Assn) whose charter was
to organize a championship regatta.

Mike