Concept 2 US prices

Concept 2 US prices

Post by morp » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:25:30


Does anyone know how much a concept II costs over in the US? Their
website just seems to point me to details of International Dealers.

Ta,

Morph

 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by andy.ni.. » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:36:12


Quote:
> Does anyone know how much a concept II costs over in the US? Their
> website just seems to point me to details of International Dealers.

> Ta,

> Morph

https://www2.concept2.com/VIA/viaUserDoc.jsp

 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by Christopher Anto » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:17:58


Quote:
> Does anyone know how much a concept II costs over in the US? Their website
> just seems to point me to details of International Dealers.

Probably about the same as it would cost in pounds over here.

 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by KC » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:37:38

Quote:

> Does anyone know how much a concept II costs over in the US? Their
> website just seems to point me to details of International Dealers.

> Ta,

> Morph

A model D w/ PM3 costs $850.
A model D w/ PM4 costs $1000.
A model E w/ PM4 costs $1200.  (what a waste of $200, IMO).

I don't know what shipping, tax, etc. would be.  Depends on where you
ship it, I suppose.

Anyone have experience with the PM4?  How much better than the PM3 is
it?  What are the best features/improvements over the PM3?  Just
curious... not going to buy either (my C has a PM2, does just fine.)

-KC

 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by Christopher Anto » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:54:17


Quote:

> A model D w/ PM3 costs $850.
> A model D w/ PM4 costs $1000.
> A model E w/ PM4 costs $1200.  (what a waste of $200, IMO).

> I don't know what shipping, tax, etc. would be.  Depends on where you ship
> it, I suppose.

As I thought.

Can't help but think that we're being ripped off in Europe. A model D with
PM3 costs 939 (that's $1892). Surely putting it on a container ship, duty
and VAT can't come to more than a thousand quid?

 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by paul_v_sm.. » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 02:15:54


Quote:

> > Does anyone know how much a concept II costs over in the US? Their
> > website just seems to point me to details of International Dealers.

> > Ta,

> > Morph

> A model D w/ PM3 costs $850.
> A model D w/ PM4 costs $1000.
> A model E w/ PM4 costs $1200.  (what a waste of $200, IMO).

> I don't know what shipping, tax, etc. would be.  Depends on where you
> ship it, I suppose.

> Anyone have experience with the PM4?  How much better than the PM3 is
> it?  What are the best features/improvements over the PM3?  Just
> curious... not going to buy either (my C has a PM2, does just fine.)

> -KC

The PM4 has more memory and faster processing than the PM3, also it
uses ANT technology to be compatible with Suunto HR belts and support
wireless Venue racing for up to 8 machines (I think).  For most it
wouldn't be much better than a PM3, but if you are into HR monitoring
it comes with the belt, so the real price difference is not that much
and it will be what future upgrades are designed for.  The PM4
supports a rechargable battery when connected to a Model E or a USB
port, otherwise it just uses D cells.  The lastest log card utility
will automagically upload your sessions to the online log if you use
it, which save some time.  All in all, the Mod C/PM2 combination is
about as utilitarian as it gets, does everything needed, but not much
more.

One of the cool projects being worked on is a "rate target" utility
(game), which gives feedback on your ability to hold a steady rate.
I'm not sure how much it matters in the real world, but it is a
diversion from what we think is very repetitive.  The resolution of
the rate can be set, so that it must be maintained +/- some fraction
from the target.

The best improvement over the PM3 may be the quality of the buttons, I
haven't had them stick as of yet.  [;o)

- Paul Smith

 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by KC » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 02:17:34

Quote:



>> A model D w/ PM3 costs $850.
>> A model D w/ PM4 costs $1000.
>> A model E w/ PM4 costs $1200.  (what a waste of $200, IMO).

>> I don't know what shipping, tax, etc. would be.  Depends on where you ship
>> it, I suppose.

> As I thought.

> Can't help but think that we're being ripped off in Europe. A model D with
> PM3 costs 939 (that's $1892). Surely putting it on a container ship, duty
> and VAT can't come to more than a thousand quid?

A thousand quid () or bucks ($)?  I've never container-shipped anything
before, but I wouldn't be surprised if shipping a 70lb (and quite large)
box, with duty, VAT, and insurance was very expensive.  Would it be $400
to $500 USD?  I don't know...  BTW, why container ship it?  I bet DHL or
FedEx could do it via air.

-KC

 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by J Flor » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 02:42:20


Quote:
> The PM4 has more memory and faster processing than the PM3, also it
> uses ANT technology to be compatible with Suunto HR belts and support
> wireless Venue racing for up to 8 machines (I think).  For most it
> wouldn't be much better than a PM3, but if you are into HR monitoring
> it comes with the belt, so the real price difference is not that much
> and it will be what future upgrades are designed for.  The PM4
> supports a rechargable battery when connected to a Model E or a USB
> port, otherwise it just uses D cells.  The lastest log card utility
> will automagically upload your sessions to the online log if you use
> it, which save some time.  All in all, the Mod C/PM2 combination is
> about as utilitarian as it gets, does everything needed, but not much
> more.

> One of the cool projects being worked on is a "rate target" utility
> (game), which gives feedback on your ability to hold a steady rate.
> I'm not sure how much it matters in the real world, but it is a
> diversion from what we think is very repetitive.  The resolution of
> the rate can be set, so that it must be maintained +/- some fraction
> from the target.

> The best improvement over the PM3 may be the quality of the buttons, I
> haven't had them stick as of yet.  [;o)

> - Paul Smith

C2 told me the E is aimed at facilities:  rust resistant enclosed
chain, higher tougher rail, ability to "race" each other, etc.  But to
do HR training using with a common HR monitor strap (e.g., Polar) you
need to buy a $25 accessory pickup module because these monitor straps
don't have the range of the Suunto.  Unfortunately Suunto is not
common yet and you can't have everyone sharing the one strap that
comes with the erg!  You'd think they'd just build the Polar module
into the erg.

And the price of the Suunto strap is $50, same price as a complete
basic Polar HR monitor system (strap PLUS wrist display), which can be
used in the boat or on the erg.  The complete Suunto system costs
$150.

 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by Walter Martindal » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 04:50:28

Quote:




>>> A model D w/ PM3 costs $850.
>>> A model D w/ PM4 costs $1000.
>>> A model E w/ PM4 costs $1200.  (what a waste of $200, IMO).

>>> I don't know what shipping, tax, etc. would be.  Depends on where you
>>> ship it, I suppose.

>> As I thought.

>> Can't help but think that we're being ripped off in Europe. A model D
>> with PM3 costs 939 (that's $1892). Surely putting it on a container
>> ship, duty and VAT can't come to more than a thousand quid?

> A thousand quid () or bucks ($)?  I've never container-shipped anything
> before, but I wouldn't be surprised if shipping a 70lb (and quite large)
> box, with duty, VAT, and insurance was very expensive.  Would it be $400
> to $500 USD?  I don't know...  BTW, why container ship it?  I bet DHL or
> FedEx could do it via air.

> -KC

I suspect that the container refers to a distributor in Europe bringing
in a container load of C2 boxes. AFAIK, C2 won't ship to a private
customer offshore North America if there's a distributor - i.e., if I
ordered a C2 ergo or blades here in NZ, I'd get them from the C2 agent
in NZ, in Tauranga, and C2 in Vermont would redirect my inquiries to C2NZ.
So, whoever imports C2 gear to POMgolia (UK)gets to charge a mark-up and
make a profit.  I don't know how much headquarters discounts the
equipment to their distributors...
Walter
 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by kdav.. » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:09:21


Quote:
> Does anyone know how much a concept II costs over in the US? Their
> website just seems to point me to details of International Dealers.

> Ta,

> Morph

Word of warning: models D & E appear to be susceptible to a metal
fatigue problem. Details here:
http://www.concept2.co.uk/rower/metal_fatigue.php

Kit

 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by Jens Brand » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:12:48

http://c2shop.dk/indoor_rowers_27_da/
in denmark the prices are:
Model D PM4 kr. 15.000
1$ = 5.45 DKR
1 = 7.45 DKR

The C2 in DK cost: 2.013 or $2.752

 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by Adriaa » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 22:27:22


Quote:

> And the price of the Suunto strap is $50, same price as a complete
> basic Polar HR monitor system (strap PLUS wrist display), which can be
> used in the boat or on the erg.  The complete Suunto system costs
> $150.

What about interference? I've seen funny things happening with two or
more people using the basic Polar systems while sitting on adjacent ergs.

--
Adriaan

 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by J Flor » Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:19:35


Quote:

> > And the price of the Suunto strap is $50, same price as a complete
> > basic Polar HR monitor system (strap PLUS wrist display), which can be
> > used in the boat or on the erg.  The complete Suunto system costs
> > $150.

> What about interference? I've seen funny things happening with two or
> more people using the basic Polar systems while sitting on adjacent ergs.

> --
> Adriaan

Good point.  I wonder how Suunto gets around this.  Hopefully you
don't have to use the same strap with that one erg all the time!
In the 2x my teammates and I have no problem with crosstalk between
uncoded Polars but people would be closer together on side-by-side
ergs.  Coded Polars are available but you probably couldn't code the
C2 pickup.
 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by paul_v_sm.. » Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:26:28


Quote:

> > And the price of the Suunto strap is $50, same price as a complete
> > basic Polar HR monitor system (strap PLUS wrist display), which can be
> > used in the boat or on the erg.  The complete Suunto system costs
> > $150.

> What about interference? I've seen funny things happening with two or
> more people using the basic Polar systems while sitting on adjacent ergs.

> --
> Adriaan

Suunto belts are uniquely coded. The PM4 registers a particular belt
and that can be saved to the log card so you could potentially travel
with the belt and card to other PM4's.  Pretty neat, it works with our
two machines.

The metal fatigue issue has a fix that leaves the machine stronger
than current manufacture, Mine had the flaw, which was related to the
new connection method, the kits took about 30 minutes to install on
both and are cosmetically visible, but do not look out of place.

As far as the differences for the E, it can recharge the battery, has
a better paint finish (more durable), Updated chain (potentially more
durable, electroless nickel works well in firearms. Plus it's silver,
so nice 'bling'. LOL).  The $200 additional (from D/PM4) has it's
value, but YMMV.  Machine progress ended with the Model B, IMO, and
the E would be better if about 2 inches shorter, maybe there will be
an "E/2" with 3 inches of height increase instead of the 6, nice happy
meduim for those of less than average height.

Once upon a time I checked on UPS/Fedex/Flying Tiger shipment of an
Erg to the EU and between that and customs taxes it was near enough a
wash to go ahead and have the relationship with the local distributor
for service issues if needed.  Anywhere in the US is $36 (from C2),
but when it goes the other direction from Vermont the distance becomes
really expensive over water. [;o)

- Paul Smith

 
 
 

Concept 2 US prices

Post by J Flor » Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:31:48


Quote:
> Suunto belts are uniquely coded. The PM4 registers a particular belt
> and that can be saved to the log card so you could potentially travel
> with the belt and card to other PM4's.  Pretty neat, it works with our
> two machines.

So what happens if many different people with many different Suunto
belts are using the same machine, or switching between machines (think
"college rowing team").  Can the PM4 handle that?