Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by RowAlman » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00


The American Rower's Almanac is updating its "Rower-Friendly Restaurant"
feature for the 2000 edition.

If you know of a unique restaurant, deli or cafe that is frequented by rowers,
please tell us about it. We define a "rower-friendly" restaurant as the
following: (1) serves sufficiently large quantities of food; (2) has an
atmosphere that does not scorn the donning of lycra; (3) is characterized by
some unique rowing theme such as the "The Tombs" in Georgetown.


 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by Thomas Buell, Jr » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

In Pittsburgh, a favorite post-row breakfast spot is Jo-Jo's
Restaurant in the Strip District (110 24th St, Pittsburgh).
This is one of the good old short-order joints. It's not far
from the river. Bottomless coffee mugs. HUGE omelets and
generally huge portions of everything else. Toasted fresh
Italian bread sliced about an inch thick. Great home fries.
Low prices. The waitresses don't blink at sweaty,
spandex-clad people. No dress code, no atmosphere, no rowing
paraphernalia but good service and great food. Highly
recommended.

Tom Buell
Three Rivers Rowing Assn
Pittsburgh, PA

 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by Eric M. Whipke » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

In Alexandria ***ia "The Royal" is where rowers from Alexandria Community
Rowing go for breakfast and/or coffee, especially on the weekends when they
serve all you eat brunch.  It is close to the boathouse, no dress code that I
know of, the food is good and cheap too.  I cannot really comment on the coffee,
because I've always just said no to *** (caffeine 8>D).

eric

Quote:

> In Pittsburgh, a favorite post-row breakfast spot is Jo-Jo's
> Restaurant in the Strip District (110 24th St, Pittsburgh).
> This is one of the good old short-order joints. It's not far
> from the river. Bottomless coffee mugs. HUGE omelets and
> generally huge portions of everything else. Toasted fresh
> Italian bread sliced about an inch thick. Great home fries.
> Low prices. The waitresses don't blink at sweaty,
> spandex-clad people. No dress code, no atmosphere, no rowing
> paraphernalia but good service and great food. Highly
> recommended.

> Tom Buell
> Three Rivers Rowing Assn
> Pittsburgh, PA


 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by Thomas Whelto » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

Boston Area -

The Arsenal Diner , on the corner of Arsenal St and School St. in Watertown
MA.

 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by John P. Fif » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

In Philadelphia, there is a place called "Pete's Famous Pizza" on Fairmount
Avenue.  It is about 2-3 minutes away from Boathouse Row.  It is a small coffe
shop atmosphere that serves sandwiches, pizza, and other good things including a
great breakfast menu that is inexpensive and satisfies most rower's hungers.  The
food there is inexpensive and you can always find someone from Boathouse Row
eating in there especially during racing season, whole teams wait in line for
food.

John Fife

Quote:

> The American Rower's Almanac is updating its "Rower-Friendly Restaurant"
> feature for the 2000 edition.

> If you know of a unique restaurant, deli or cafe that is frequented by rowers,
> please tell us about it. We define a "rower-friendly" restaurant as the
> following: (1) serves sufficiently large quantities of food; (2) has an
> atmosphere that does not scorn the donning of lycra; (3) is characterized by
> some unique rowing theme such as the "The Tombs" in Georgetown.



 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by Jean-Jud » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

The BP Express located atop the Bombay hills fifty odd k's south of Auckland
city is a 'must see' of the culinary delights of the rowing world. The
purveyor of such delighful treats as the apple turnover, mince pie and
chocklate milk this place has no equal at least for the surrounging ten k's
where obviously no one has bothered trying to come close to its monopolised
grip on Auckland Rowing. Yes the BP Express stands alone an icon to the
Auckland Redback making the long journey home at ungodly hours from the
harsh beauty of a  38k row at Mercer upon Waikato. There is never a tougher
decision in a Redback's daily routine than the death struggle as the stomach
battles to direct the vehicle up the offramp to BP heaven whilst the not to
be underestimated but seldom triumphant sensibilities seek to stay on the
highway clinging to the value of just 15mins more sleep and reciting
authorities on the evils of junk food.
It's amazing what tastes good when you're hungry!
 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by MundoToz » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Looking for 1X shell or rowing boat (wherry }for BIG guy looking to slim
down.  It's too nice to use an erg in the summer I want to get wet .... too
busy with work to join  a club looking for a craft that can handle 260lbs as
i achieve a svelt 190 by next summer.....Yeah yeah I'll get an erg this
winter now i want to row and bike to health......anyone with advice on what
craft to get or a shell to sell will be appreciated......Has anyone built
the oxford shell form chesapeak light craft

www.clc.com

thanks Bob Bianco

330 629 8884

 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by Nick Sues » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Looking for 1X shell or rowing boat (wherry }for BIG guy looking to slim
>down.  .... too busy with work to join  a club looking for a craft that can
handle 260lbs as
>i achieve a svelt 190 by next summer>www.clc.com

>thanks Bob Bianco

This newsgroup has a lot to answer for. Just look what happens. We start a
discussion on rower-friendly restaurants, and this guy hits 260lbs virtually
overnight. Sorry but those servings really are TOO large!

Z

 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by Ke » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

If you can't find a racing single, there are rec shells that will
handle your weight, including the Alden 2X rowed as a single and the
Little River Seashell 2X rowed as a single.  LR also has a beginner's
single that has a high enough capacity to carry two, and that will
also be OK.  Or you could just drop an Alden or Piantedosi rowing rig
into an existing canoe or open***pit kayak (like the Folbot
Greenland II) until you get down to about 235.

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)

 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by sco.. » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

The Rower's Greasy Spoon Index, formerly hosted on the Twickenham
Underground site has crossed the pond and can now be found on the
Albany Rowing Center site at http://home.nycap.rr.com/albanyrc

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by Eric M. Whipke » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Hey, I remember Pete's, I used to go there back in 1990 when in Philadelphia and
rowing with Undine.  That place was great!  Never had the Pizza though, just
breakfast. 8>D

eric

Quote:

> In Philadelphia, there is a place called "Pete's Famous Pizza" on Fairmount
> Avenue.  It is about 2-3 minutes away from Boathouse Row.  It is a small coffe
> shop atmosphere that serves sandwiches, pizza, and other good things including a
> great breakfast menu that is inexpensive and satisfies most rower's hungers.  The
> food there is inexpensive and you can always find someone from Boathouse Row
> eating in there especially during racing season, whole teams wait in line for
> food.

> John Fife


> > The American Rower's Almanac is updating its "Rower-Friendly Restaurant"
> > feature for the 2000 edition.

> > If you know of a unique restaurant, deli or cafe that is frequented by rowers,
> > please tell us about it. We define a "rower-friendly" restaurant as the
> > following: (1) serves sufficiently large quantities of food; (2) has an
> > atmosphere that does not scorn the donning of lycra; (3) is characterized by
> > some unique rowing theme such as the "The Tombs" in Georgetown.



 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by Michael Sulliva » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> In Philadelphia, there is a place called "Pete's Famous Pizza" on Fairmount
> Avenue.  It is about 2-3 minutes away from Boathouse Row.  It is a small coffe

I thought you Philly guys all went to The Blue Jay
(or Le Je' Bleu) for a load of scrapple and rice
pudding for dessert. I believe I even saw some regatta
results this year where a club name was Le Je' Bleu
which got a good giggle from me.

Seattle has to weigh in with that breakfast place
with the 12 egg omelettes called something like
Beth's.  Help me out people, it's on the northside.

The Cal coaches several years ago took me to a place
that I called Beths also in Alameda, I think it was
across the Fruitvale bridge. Now every breakfast
place that I can't remember the name - I just say
'let's go to Beths'.

Zubies recently closed in Costa Mesa.  The best place
ALL TIME.  1.49 Huevos Rancheros for breakfast and
dinners were killer, you can still go to Charleys
Chili in Newport or The Stuft T-Shirt for breakfast,
but the latter is more a surfer/fisherman place.

UK folks have to weigh in on Henley, no?  My favorites
were The Stag (say hi to the Preacher and the other
Henley Rowing Club cowboys and why didn't they show up
in L.A. in 84 like they said they would?), and The
Bull.

The Big Wheel still there in St Catherines?  Killer
buffet, great folks that owned it in the 70s.

If you are travelling between Princeton and Philly, a
required stop is The Greenwood Dairy.  They got the
largest damned Sundaes I've ever seen - almost morbid.
The ice cream is fantastic, but I caution you, after
seeing some of the bodies that roll. in and out of there
while you're working on your Mt Whitney sized dessert,
you may never touch ice cream again.

In Princeton, there was a pub at the end of Carnegie that
had killer chili, but nothing else in Princeton area was
a keeper.

Here at the Stanford area, a lot of the rowers have
gone to Hobbee's over the years, I only tolerate it -
(sorry JD).  Palo Alto has gone completely foo-foo,
St James Infirmary in Mt View burned down last year,
but you can still get decent pub food and beer at some of
the local pubs like Oasis, Dutch Goose, and Antonio's.
Their popularity rotates randomly.

My highest recommendation is for Pete's Harbor for a
good breakfast with fantastic location, but it's not
rower- frequented, in spite of the old sweep oar
*** prominently in the dining area.

BTW, all of the rowers in Lake County California are
fond of The Brick in Kelseyville, or the Cottage
in Lakeport for breakfast.  We like to hit Tacos
El Rey for dinner in Lakeport.  Of course there's
only three rowers in the whole county, my 2 kids and I.

Then there's that place over by Grocery Outlet
that is awesome, I think it's called Beths.

Mike Sullivan

 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by BGraham8 » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

I talked to CLC about the capacity of their Oxford Shell.  They claimed it was
240#.  I'd bet that there is some cushion to that, but you'd better have a long
talk with Ted at CLC to be sure. Check out rec.boats.paddle, lots of discussion
of building CLC's sea kayaks. Keep us posted if you decide to build a shell.

BG
Bill Graham

"If you can't find time to do it right, when are you going to find time to do
it again?"

 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by Ke » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

I remembered one more shell that is terrific for a big guy -- the
Schoenbrod Sieger.  It has a 14" waterline beam and is 26.5 ft long.
Fit, finish and materials are beautiful.

I had put it out of mind because it is IMHO a freshwater, boathouse
boat:  lotsa deck wood and sneakers.  I like my rec boats marinized:
self bailing, all composite with clogs.

 Schoenbrod Racing Shells
 596 Elm Street
 Biddeford, ME 04005
 Phone Number: 207-283-3026
 FAX Number: 207-985-6814

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)

 
 
 

Rower-Friendly Restaurants

Post by Eric Matthew Hinke » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

When we were at Dad Vails a few weeks ago, we stopped in at The Onion Pie...... The
best Cheese Steaks in the world, I swear.... Last year, we went to Jim's Steaks..... I
remember the help there being quite rude to some of our rowers as we were from out of
town. However, The Onion Pie's steaks were much better by far, and our waiter was
extremely cool..... The pizza also looked really good at the place too, wow.... I would
highly recommend it to anyone for a post race feast.

        Eric Hinkes
        University of Chicago Crew