Women's Hoops at USD and Cal Berkeley

Women's Hoops at USD and Cal Berkeley

Post by JULIE D. MORGANS » Wed, 01 Dec 1993 11:52:07


Hello,
I have friends at University of San Diego (Laura King and Michelle Brovelli)
and Cal Berkeley (Kerri Barrett) playing hoops.  Living in Colorado now,
I don't get much news about California men's hoops not to mention women's.  
If anyone can give me any info about how these women are doing I would
greatly appreciate it.
Thanks for your time.
Julie

or

 
 
 

Women's Hoops at USD and Cal Berkeley

Post by Myse » Wed, 01 Dec 1993 12:08:39

The Penn Quakers traveled to Columbus, OH to play the Buckeyes.  The defending
Ivy League Champs were leading by 10 at halftime, that was their biggest lead.
But felt short to winning by the score 83-80.  What a magnificent performance
by the Penn players, remember, they are an Ivy team.  Jerome Allen had 27
points if Im not mistaken, and couple of others had double digits on the board.
If only the had won, they might have been in the top 25 rankings by the
mid week after a solid performance against the Trojans of USC.  Damn!!
Now, we've seen that an ivy team (just one though :) ) can compete with anybody
if given the chance.  Maybe this year we'll see an Ivy team win an NCAA tourney
game.  

GO QUAKERS!!!

 
 
 

Women's Hoops at USD and Cal Berkeley

Post by Galen F Gawb » Wed, 01 Dec 1993 13:08:26

Quote:

>The Penn Quakers traveled to Columbus, OH to play the Buckeyes.  The defending
>Ivy League Champs were leading by 10 at halftime, that was their biggest lead.

  Actually, at one point in the second half, the Mighty Penn Quakers had a 12
point lead.

  Randy Ayers made a brilliant substitution in this game to bring
the Buckeyes back. The Buckeyes had been playing Nate Wilbourne and Rickey
Dudley as their 2 big people in the 2nd half. In this configuration Wilbourne
is more of a scorer, and Dudley is the rebound guy. Penn was able to get
the ball inside to their forwards for a 1 on 1 matchup with Wilbourne.
Wilbourne was getting beat, and Penn was maintaining their double digit
lead. Randy replaced these players with Funderburke and Gerald Eaker. With
this configuration the Bucks had 2 shot blockers, with Funderburke being the
scorer and Eaker being the rebound guy. The interior intimidation provided
by Funderburke and Eaker helped slow down the Quakers inside game. I saw
the Quaker forwards alter their interior shots several times as the Buckeyes
rallied to cut their deficit to 5 points as the Quakers offense went back
to the perimeter. The Quakers called a timeout and regained their composure
but the Buckeyes were back into the game at this point.

Quote:

>But felt short to winning by the score 83-80.  What a magnificent performance
>by the Penn players, remember, they are an Ivy team.  

  I was not surprised at Penn's fine performance. They DID win 22 games last
year and returned all of their starters. Penn has REAL talent, and have a
good chance of winning an NCAA tourney game or two this year.

-galen

 
 
 

Women's Hoops at USD and Cal Berkeley

Post by Andrew J. Newm » Wed, 01 Dec 1993 14:32:18

Quote:
>  I was not surprised at Penn's fine performance. They DID win 22 games last
> year and returned all of their starters. Penn has REAL talent, and have a
> good chance of winning an NCAA tourney game or two this year.

Thanks for the kind words.  When I posted an article about Penn beating USC, all the
followups basically said that it was a meaningless victory since USC is a mediocre
team in a mediocre conference.  Personally, I think that any road victory by 15 points
is pretty good, and certainly the loss at Ohio State is nothing to be ashamed of.

Does anyone know which other teams from major conferences Penn will be playing before
starting their easy Ivy League schedule?  I would assume Villanova and/or Temple
will be on their schedule.

 
 
 

Women's Hoops at USD and Cal Berkeley

Post by Tom Gord » Wed, 01 Dec 1993 15:51:26


Quote:

> Does anyone know which other teams from major conferences Penn will be playing before
> starting their easy Ivy League schedule?  I would assume Villanova and/or Temple
> will be on their schedule.

The Quakers' remaining non-Ivy opponents are:
12/4   at Fairleigh***inson
12/11  vs. LaSalle at Spectrum
12/18  Haverford College
(U.S. WestAir Time Tournament at Seattle 12/28-29)
12/28  Washington
12/29  winner of Georgia vs. Pacific
1/3    Lehigh
1/11   at Temple
1/17   at Lafayette
1/25   vs. LaSalle at Spectrum
2/??   at Buffalo

Note that Villanova isn't on the schedule this year.  Since the Wildcats
sort of dropped out of the Philadelphia Big 5 (now the Big 4+1/2), we only
play them every other year.  It's just as well, though, since Haverford
College gives us a tougher strength of schedule than Villanova anyway.  ;)
--
Tom Gordon
Chicago, IL

 
 
 

Women's Hoops at USD and Cal Berkeley

Post by Tom Pisco » Thu, 02 Dec 1993 00:04:40


Quote:

>>  I was not surprised at Penn's fine performance. They DID win 22 games last
>> year and returned all of their starters. Penn has REAL talent, and have a
>> good chance of winning an NCAA tourney game or two this year.

>Thanks for the kind words.  When I posted an article about Penn beating USC, all the
>followups basically said that it was a meaningless victory since USC is a mediocre
>team in a mediocre conference.  Personally, I think that any road victory by 15 points
>is pretty good, and certainly the loss at Ohio State is nothing to be ashamed of.

>Does anyone know which other teams from major conferences Penn will be playing before
>starting their easy Ivy League schedule?  I would assume Villanova and/or Temple
>will be on their schedule.

   Temple yes, Villanova no.  Actually, unless you count LaSalle, Temple looks
   like the only hard game for Penn, although I don't know how good some
   of those east schools are.

Tom Piscopo
"don't call me Joe, that's my dad"

 
 
 

Women's Hoops at USD and Cal Berkeley

Post by Myse » Thu, 02 Dec 1993 00:35:28


Quote:

>Does anyone know which other teams from major conferences Penn will be playing before
>starting their easy Ivy League schedule?  I would assume Villanova and/or Temple
>will be on their schedule.

Before starting their somewhat easy Ivy League schedule, Penn will play
St. Joseph at the Spectrum on Dec 11, and also Temple at temple.  They will
also play another Big 5 (philly's college hoops league) team but I cant
remember which team it will be.  For the first time since the 50's (I think),
no Big 5 game will be played at the historic Palestra.  I just saw the AP
standings, Penn received 26 votes much better than they did when they opened
the season at only 3 votes.

GO QUAKERS!!!

 
 
 

Women's Hoops at USD and Cal Berkeley

Post by Mr. Flibb » Thu, 02 Dec 1993 02:20:10


Quote:

>play them every other year.  It's just as well, though, since Haverford
>College gives us a tougher strength of schedule than Villanova anyway.  ;)

        Bwaa ha ha. For those who are confused by this, Haverford is a
Division III school outside of Philadelphia. In fact one whose basketball
team hasn't had a winning season in many, many years (unless they managed
it last year). They're obviously playing this game for two reasons. One,
Penn's giving them a nice sum of money. Two, they get to play a big name
team (relatively speaking) in a big arena, which the staff probably views
as good experience. I suspect the players are willing to be sacrifical
lambs for one game in order to get a chance to play a game in the Palestra.
Expect the final on this one to be about 100-30.

        On the other hand it might just give Penn a better strength of
schedule rating under some systems. If they don't know how to deal with
Haverford and just leave that game out completely it might be better than
playing a weak Villanova team. :)

-Jeff
--

"With  the end of  the Cold War,  is homotopy theory  really the next big
threat to your security?"       -     political theory from Don Shimamoto

 
 
 

Women's Hoops at USD and Cal Berkeley

Post by Tom Gord » Thu, 02 Dec 1993 16:21:43


Quote:



> >play them every other year.  It's just as well, though, since Haverford
> >College gives us a tougher strength of schedule than Villanova anyway.  ;)

>    Bwaa ha ha. For those who are confused by this, Haverford is a
> Division III school outside of Philadelphia. In fact one whose basketball
> team hasn't had a winning season in many, many years (unless they managed
> it last year). They're obviously playing this game for two reasons. One,
> Penn's giving them a nice sum of money. Two, they get to play a big name
> team (relatively speaking) in a big arena, which the staff probably views
> as good experience. I suspect the players are willing to be sacrifical
> lambs for one game in order to get a chance to play a game in the Palestra.
> Expect the final on this one to be about 100-30.

I agree with you on the score for this game.  I'll be back in Philadelphia
for this one, and it will be interesting to see what kind of crowd we get
for our Palestra opener, since it is scheduled right in the middle of
Penn's finals.  There is, however, a third reason that Haverford is on our
schedule.  According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, two teams (I think Holy
Cross was one of them - anybody know for sure?) bailed out on Penn as
schedules were being finalized.  As a result, Penn had to search for an
opponent willing to play on short notice.  Haverford was one of the teams
willing to do so.  (The other was either Buffalo or Fairleigh***inson)

Quote:
>    On the other hand it might just give Penn a better strength of
> schedule rating under some systems. If they don't know how to deal with
> Haverford and just leave that game out completely it might be better than
> playing a weak Villanova team. :)

The RPI ignores all non-Division I games for its system.  While I don't
know that leaving a game out is better than counting it, a friend from
Princeton told me that during the season the Tigers cracked the Top-25,
their ranking (although not their rating) dropped during an undefeated Ivy
season due to the relative weakness of their schedule.

While everybody's talking about Penn basketball, what do y'all predict the
Quakers will do this year?  I figure they'll go 24-2 for the regular season
(losing at Temple), and end up ranked somewhere in the twenties.  As for
the Tournament, they should win at least one game (this "m***victory"
***is getting stale for the Ivy league), hopefully two.  I'm interested
in hearing a more objective opinion, however.
--
Tom Gordon
Chicago, IL

 
 
 

Women's Hoops at USD and Cal Berkeley

Post by jay titl » Thu, 02 Dec 1993 21:05:33

Penn scheduled Haverford and Farleigh***inson(?) when a couple
schools backed out of commitments to play them.  I'm not sure which
schools they were, but some of the early mags showed which teams they are.