900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by Tim Snyd » Fri, 09 Jul 1993 10:23:10


Hi there.  At a recent O's game, Cal's RBI total over the last ten
years was broadcast on the scoreboard.  The 'board said that Cal
had over 900 RBI's over this span, claiming that the total was fourth
in the majors.

900+ in ten years?  That's over 90 a season, and if a player misses a
year, it's 100+.  My friend and I were puzzled at who the other three
players (above Cal) were.  Certainly Winfield.  Who else?  Joe Carter?
Ryno?  It seems every player we could think of was not active or well
over the entire span.   [Cecil?    : )   : )   : )   : ) ]

Enjoy,
 Tim

 Timothy Law Snyder
 Department of Computer Science
 Reiss 225
 Georgetown University
 Washington, DC 20057


 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by Dave Eis » Fri, 09 Jul 1993 11:27:50


Quote:

>900+ in ten years?  That's over 90 a season, and if a player misses a
>year, it's 100+.  My friend and I were puzzled at who the other three
>players (above Cal) were.  Certainly Winfield.  Who else?  Joe Carter?
>Ryno?  It seems every player we could think of was not active or well
>over the entire span.   [Cecil?    : )   : )   : )   : ) ]

No fair looking it up until we've all made fools of ourselves
guessing.

I'd have to go with Eddie Murray. Mattingly wouldn't surprise
me too much. Will Clark?

--
Dave Eisen                               Sequoia Peripherals: (415) 967-5644

       There's something in my library to offend everybody.
          --- Washington Coalition Against Censorship

 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by Russell T Wiggint » Sat, 10 Jul 1993 00:08:08

Quote:


>>900+ in ten years?  That's over 90 a season, and if a player misses a
>>year, it's 100+.  My friend and I were puzzled at who the other three
>>players (above Cal) were.  Certainly Winfield.  Who else?  Joe Carter?
>>Ryno?  It seems every player we could think of was not active or well
>>over the entire span.   [Cecil?    : )   : )   : )   : ) ]
>No fair looking it up until we've all made fools of ourselves
>guessing.
>I'd have to go with Eddie Murray. Mattingly wouldn't surprise
>me too much. Will Clark?
>I would have to add the "Hawk" Andre Dawson to the group.
>--
>Dave Eisen                               Sequoia Peripherals: (415) 967-5644

>       There's something in my library to offend everybody.
>          --- Washington Coalition Against Censorship


 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by John P. Lem » Sat, 10 Jul 1993 00:30:21


Quote:


>>>900+ in ten years?  That's over 90 a season, and if a player misses a
>>>year, it's 100+.  My friend and I were puzzled at who the other three
>>>players (above Cal) were.  Certainly Winfield.  Who else?  Joe Carter?
>>>Ryno?  It seems every player we could think of was not active or well
>>>over the entire span.   [Cecil?    : )   : )   : )   : ) ]

I vote for Eddie Murray, George Bell, and Joe Carter.

John Lemek

 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by A Colin Mort » Sat, 10 Jul 1993 00:47:04

Who could be ahead of Cal Ripken, with more than 900 RBI in the past ten
year?  Tim Snyder suggests:

Quote:

>>>Certainly Winfield.  Who else?  Joe Carter?  Ryno?

Dave Eisen guesses:

Quote:

>>I'd have to go with Eddie Murray. Mattingly wouldn't surprise
>>me too much. Will Clark?

Russell T. Wigginton adds (I think, though the extra >, which I have
deleted for clarity in follow-ups to this post, confused me):

Quote:

>I would have to add the "Hawk" Andre Dawson to the group.

How about George Brett?

Colin Morton,
Trent University.

 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by Paul Andres » Sat, 10 Jul 1993 04:21:19


|>
|> 900+ in ten years?  That's over 90 a season, and if a player misses a
|> year, it's 100+.  My friend and I were puzzled at who the other three
|> players (above Cal) were.  Certainly Winfield.  Who else?  Joe Carter?
|> Ryno?  It seems every player we could think of was not active or well
|> over the entire span.   [Cecil?    : )   : )   : )   : ) ]

I suspect that the correct answers are somewhere in the responses so far, but
just for drill, I'd add Dale Murphy as a posibility.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           We will stretch no farm animal beyond its natural length


    home: 3006 NW McKinley    Corvallis, OR 97330       (503)-752-8424
                            A SABR member since 1979

 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by Bobby Dav » Sat, 10 Jul 1993 02:49:43

Eddie Murray has to be one of them.  Let's see... 111 + 110 + 124 + 84 +
91 + 84 + 88 + 95 + 96 + 93 = 976, averaged 97.6 RBI during 1983-1992.
Don't know who the other two are, and don't feel like looking it up, but
I'd say Winfield, Bell, and Mattingly are good guesses.  Mattingly had 145
in 1985, so he'd only need to average 84 over the other nine years to make
it to 900.  Winfield may not make it just because he missed an entire year
due to back trouble, so he'd have to average 100 over the other 9 years.

Andre Dawson would also be a reasonable guess.  I'll check him, too - 955,
yep, he beats 900 with room to spare.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Bob Davis            | "He keeps waving a banana in my face and saying |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by John P. Lem » Sat, 10 Jul 1993 06:53:21

Quote:

>Eddie Murray has to be one of them.  Let's see... 111 + 110 + 124 + 84 +
>91 + 84 + 88 + 95 + 96 + 93 = 976, averaged 97.6 RBI during 1983-1992.
>Don't know who the other two are, and don't feel like looking it up, but
>I'd say Winfield, Bell, and Mattingly are good guesses.  Mattingly had 145
>in 1985, so he'd only need to average 84 over the other nine years to make
>it to 900.  Winfield may not make it just because he missed an entire year
>due to back trouble, so he'd have to average 100 over the other 9 years.

>Andre Dawson would also be a reasonable guess.  I'll check him, too - 955,
>yep, he beats 900 with room to spare.

Ok, we have 2 of the 3.  Which of the guesses are the third?  

Winfield: missed an entire year, and I think he had some less than spectacular
          years in California
Mattingly: had back problems and wasn't real productive for a few years
Bell: still my odds on favorite because of his '87 season.  I know he had
      over 100 last year.

John

 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by David DeMe » Sat, 10 Jul 1993 07:50:01

Brett or Carter?  
--


UC San Diego                                    ...!ucsd!cs!demers
La Jolla, CA 92093-0114 (619) 534-0688, or -8187, FAX: (619) 534-7029
--


UC San Diego                                    ...!ucsd!cs!demers
La Jolla, CA 92093-0114 (619) 534-0688, or -8187, FAX: (619) 534-7029

 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by Paul Andres » Sun, 11 Jul 1993 05:39:06


|>
|> Ok, we have 2 of the 3.  Which of the guesses are the third?  
|>

I've seen neither confirmation, or denial, so once again I nominate
Dale Murphy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           We will stretch no farm animal beyond its natural length


    home: 3006 NW McKinley    Corvallis, OR 97330       (503)-752-8424
                            A SABR member since 1979

 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by Ted Fra » Sun, 11 Jul 1993 07:19:30

Quote:


>|>
>|> Ok, we have 2 of the 3.  Which of the guesses are the third?  
>|>

>I've seen neither confirmation, or denial, so once again I nominate
>Dale Murphy.

I don't think so.  His peak was from 1982 to 1985/1987, which doesn't overlap
well with the 1983-92 stretch.  Remember, he only had a handful of RBI's last
year...

Oh, alright, I'll add it up.  He had 852.  He did have well over 900 for
1982-91, though.
--
ted frank                 |  This post does not represent the opinion of the

the u of c law school     |  represent my opinion.
standard disclaimers      |  "Mmmm... purple." -- Homer Simpson

 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by Ted Fra » Sun, 11 Jul 1993 07:21:18


Quote:
>Bell: still my odds on favorite because of his '87 season.  I know he had
>      over 100 last year.

Yep.  926 over ten years--and that includes 17 in 39 games in 1983.

Just goes to show how meaningless RBI's are.
--
ted frank                 |  This post does not represent the opinion of the

the u of c law school     |  represent my opinion.
standard disclaimers      |  "Mmmm... purple." -- Homer Simpson

 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by Ted Fra » Sun, 11 Jul 1993 07:24:28

Quote:

>Brett or Carter?  

Brett doesn't play enough.  And he played for OBA-sink Kansas City and he
walks a lot.  A really good player (Thomas, Bonds) won't get as many RBIs as
a Fielder or Carter because they do things that help the teams score runs
without driving them in themselves.  Carter didn't start regularly until 1985.
But he should be over 900 for the 1984-93 stretch.

--
ted frank                 |  This post does not represent the opinion of the

the u of c law school     |  represent my opinion.
standard disclaimers      |  "Mmmm... purple." -- Homer Simpson

 
 
 

900 RBI's in Last Ten Years: Who?

Post by Mark E Co » Mon, 12 Jul 1993 12:25:23

Quote:
>>|>
>>|> Ok, we have 2 of the 3.  Which of the guesses are the third?  
>>|>

>>I've seen neither confirmation, or denial, so once again I nominate
>>Dale Murphy.

>I don't think so.  His peak was from 1982 to 1985/1987, which doesn't overlap
>well with the 1983-92 stretch.  Remember, he only had a handful of RBI's last
>year...

>Oh, alright, I'll add it up.  He had 852.  He did have well over 900 for
>1982-91, though.

On ESPN's baseball tonight, they were giving a run down on
Cal Ripkin numbers from 1983-1993, and one of them was that
he had 963 RBI, making him fourth in that time period.