Joe Carter/RBI/Pitcher's W-L/Arrrgh/Chris Kahrl's Tattoos

Joe Carter/RBI/Pitcher's W-L/Arrrgh/Chris Kahrl's Tattoos

Post by Gary Do The Gajarsky Huckab » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00




Quote:
>> nobody else has driven in 100 RBI 8 of the last 9 years like Carter
>> has because nodody has had the runners on ahead of him like Carter has.  If
>> everyone had as many people in front of him on as Carter has over his career,
>> there would probably be 10-20 people who drive in *more* runs than Carter.

>  I'm gonna help this guy out here and say HOW DO YOU KNOW???


PAST WEEK!  The rates of RBI% have been posted twice, and Carter's
tenth on the list!

Quote:
>Here's my own perhaps. PERHAPS there is a diminuishing returns
>relationship between # of RBI opportunities and RBI%. Kinda
>like in economics.

Perhaps a lot of things.  Do you have any evidence or logic to
suggest that you may have a point?  Do you expect anyone to take
your opinions seriously without any support?

Quote:
>> But he makes outs like Pete Wilson makes enemies in the UC system.  Every
>> out he makes hurts his team, and he makes more of them on average than any
>> other major leaguer.

>  No way. What's his BA or OBP. Does he have the worst OBP in
>baseball?

Look it up yourself.  Why should any of us do legwork for you when
you a) ignore it, and b) shriek like a banshee when the evidence doesn't
support your ill-considered opinion?

A quick hint: Carter's very darn close to having the worst OBP in
baseball, and OBP is the most important part of offense.

Quote:
>  And I watch these things called baseball games and you
>apparantly don't.

Arrogant little undergrad scrap.  I've played in more games than you've
ever seen.  I've got 20+ year old ticket stubs littering my home and
office.  Get off your high horse before you hurt yourself.

Quote:
>Carter executes the intangibles that you dons
>see in the DA.

DA accounts for every ball hit into his field.  Are you suggesting that
he's helping out the SS on ground balls?  Do you even know what DA is,
how it's calculated, or some of its flaws?  Where does the data come
from?  Do you know that these intangibles of yours DON'T enter into
it, or are you just being petulant?

Think, or at the very least, check your facts before spewing your
mindless diatribe.

Quote:
>He get's to the ball quickly and often holds
>runners to fewer bases than you average, dare I say, "Joe"
>would. (IMO he's an average fielder with an above average arm).

Of course, this information is available.  Have you checked it out?
How about posting it for us?  Or are you, as I suspect, simply guessing,
and hoping that no one calls you on your current campaign of
evidence-free posting?

Go ahead and look something up.  It's not really all that painful.

Quote:
>BTW: Do statistics really measure the best fielders? If so, I
>guess the top DA at every position should win the Gold Glove,
>huh?

If you don't know, why are you criticizing it?  Is this another limp
attempt at sarcasm, or are you actually asking a question with something
of an open "mind"?

Quote:
>Never mind that category that you don't the in the
>scorebook, great plays.

Ooo.  Nice sentence.  If I could parse it, I'd respond to it.

Jerry Brown doing your writing?

Quote:
>> [slaps palm to forehead in frustration]

>  Hope it knocked some common sense into you :)

How would you know sense if it came up and tried to sell you
on Scientology?  You come on here and screech about twenty
things at a time without any evidence or explanation to
support your opinion, then you bleat and get offensive when
people don't kowtow to your wisdom.

Please.

Quote:
>> *Most* power hitters hit for close to the average that Carter sports, *and*
>> walk more than him.  Do you understand that walks are very important?  Not so
>> much so for a .330 hitter, but for Carter, his average is low enough that he
>> needs about a walk every 10 AB to be a truly good offensive player.

>  Walks are impt., but I think you put too much stock in a
>walk. There are times when a sac fly is better than a walk. But
>Carter, yes, doesn't walk enough.

Can you tell me all the situations when a sac fly is better than a
walk?  You claim these times exist, and I know the answer to the question,
but do you?

Quote:
>  Shhhhh, don't mention an actual game. They don't watch 'em.

Get bent.  You think you've spent more time studying, playing, and
watching baseball than most of the people you're feebly attempting
to argue with?  You're just plain dreaming.  I've spent more time
in ballparks my entire life than you've spent writing poorly.

And that boggles the mind.

Quote:
>  Uh, excuse me, but what gives you the right to blast him for
>being anti-intellectual. Anybody who just sits with his nose in
>a stat book all day is anti-intellectual to me. It seems to me
>that you are explicating a text you haven't read, reviewing a
>movie you haven't seen.

I don't say this very often, but you're just plain full of spam.
Statistics are a tool.  If you don't understand them (and you've
amply demonstrated that you don't), people will be able to use
them against you.  Or, more likely, you won't be able to tell when
someone's using them improperly.

Let me ask you a question, and please, try to use at least a few
neurons before you reply.

What do you think statistics are?  Do you think they're made up just to
make a ballplayer look good or bad?  Where do they come from?

Are all tools equally useful?  Do you use a hammer to fasten
a staple?

Quote:
>  Managers laud Carter's ability at the plate. I think managers
>are a good source of people who are knowledgable about what
>makes a good hitter. If they say that Carter can hit, you would
>be a fool not to take tht into consideration as expert opinion.
>(The question now begs, what managers?)

No one here has said Carter can't hit.  Not one person.

Quote:
>Gee, are you mocking Joe here? Joe Carter's done a lot to win
>baseball games throughout his career.

Yes, he has.  

Is he now, or has he ever been one of the top players in baseball?

Not by any stretch of the most fanciful imagination.

--
*     Gary Huckabay      * Mike Gallego update: He still sucks. *  ICTKTC  *
* "All the acting talent * Dave Stewart update: Pitching great  *  OITMWI  *
*  of Kevin Costner and  * for a 38 year old coming off a year  *  FISWOL  *
*    Sigourney Weaver."  * with an ERA approaching infinity.    * IKINBTS. *

 
 
 

Joe Carter/RBI/Pitcher's W-L/Arrrgh/Chris Kahrl's Tattoos

Post by wenth.. » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00



   >BTW: Do statistics really measure the best fielders? If so, I
   >guess the top DA at every position should win the Gold Glove,
   >huh?
   >Never mind that category that you don't the in the
   >scorebook, great plays.

I used to mark 'great plays' with an asterisk when I kept score.
I quit doing this, though, after I realized that it was basically
random, as I was just as likely to find a star by Houston Jimenez
as I was Robin Yount, or Mickey Hatcher or Gary Gaetti.

I realized they told me absolutley nothing.

paul

 
 
 

Joe Carter/RBI/Pitcher's W-L/Arrrgh/Chris Kahrl's Tattoos

Post by Patrick J. Soo Hoo » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
>--
>*     Gary Huckabay      * Mike Gallego update: He still sucks. *  ICTKTC  *
>* "All the acting talent * Dave Stewart update: Pitching great  *  OITMWI  *
>*  of Kevin Costner and  * for a 38 year old coming off a year  *  FISWOL  *
>*    Sigourney Weaver."  * with an ERA approaching infinity.    * IKINBTS. *

Wow, and I knew I saw that weird old 'Huckabay' name in the credits in
some film before!  Are you one and the same?

back to baseball:

Does anyone have Nomo Hideki's record in Japan available?  I've read
that he's had a few 300+ inning seasons already and the reason he had
a falling out with his manager (and hence came to America to play) was
because he was afraid for his arm.  Therefore, I am curious.

If you do have it or know of some on-line source, can you please
e-mail to me?  

thanks,

P.

 
 
 

Joe Carter/RBI/Pitcher's W-L/Arrrgh/Chris Kahrl's Tattoos

Post by LEE4 » Fri, 12 May 1995 04:00:00

Check out this week's SI.
 
 
 

Joe Carter/RBI/Pitcher's W-L/Arrrgh/Chris Kahrl's Tattoos

Post by CGB Kah » Fri, 12 May 1995 04:00:00

Damn, what a tease Gary is. Line after line of bopping some dunce
repeatedly, and all I was looking for was an explanation of how Gary found
out that I was a member of the George Schulz "Tiger-on-the-***Club for
Men."

As I remind my spouse from time to time, just because you don't know that
many stupid people personally doesn't mean they don't exist. The net gives
us delightful exposure to all sorts of infantile undergrad rants, and only
the convictions of a hardy twenty posters (or so) keeps this group from
degenerating into a hopelessly moronic forum for "my team's cool, your team
sucks" strands.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he
resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself."--Archibald
MacLeish
Gridley, you may fire when ready.
CGBK Orinst 227