D. Bennett's screwjob

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by s003.. » Sun, 02 Apr 1995 04:00:00


Congratulations to*** (less) Bennett--he wins the award for biggest *** up
of the year!  Anyone who leaves a perennial winning program like UWGB for a
perrennial loser like Wisconsin has to be a dumb ass!  Oh well, at least this
clears the way for Wright State to win the MCC next year without much trouble!
Thanks again***ie-boy!

Matt
the Ultimate Raider-Maniac

 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by grean.. » Sun, 02 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: Congratulations to*** (less) Bennett--he wins the award for biggest *** up
: of the year!  Anyone who leaves a perennial winning program like UWGB for a
: perrennial loser like Wisconsin has to be a dumb ass!  Oh well, at least this
: clears the way for Wright State to win the MCC next year without much trouble!
: Thanks again***ie-boy!

Hmmm...let's see...I suppose you could have said the "loser" bit about
Wisconsin football a few years ago too.  Now after a couple bowl victories,
they don't look so bad.  And you're just lucky you fled the Mid-Con...
Valpo would have torn you up this year ;).



 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by Brian Saunde » Sun, 02 Apr 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

> Congratulations to*** (less) Bennett--he wins the award for biggest *** up
> of the year!  Anyone who leaves a perennial winning program like UWGB for a
> perrennial loser like Wisconsin has to be a dumb ass!  Oh well, at least this
> clears the way for Wright State to win the MCC next year without much
trouble!
> Thanks again***ie-boy!

Yeah, that UWGB job sure was high-profile.  No slam on UWGB - what the
program has accomplished with*** Bennett is impressive - but if you
think for a second that the UWGB coaching position is more prestigious
than the one at UW-Madison, you are in another world.  But then again, it
seems like it is always that way with you small-conference dorks.

And, for your information, Wisconsin has never lossed to UWGB in men's
basketball.  Imagine that!  I wonder if they've lost to Wright State.
Probably not.  Hell, that was the only road game this year that Wisconsin
won without trouble.

Go back to one of your local groups, s003mwd.  You are not ready for the
big boys.

--


 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by Brian Saunde » Sun, 02 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> : Wisconsin won this year at Wright State; weren't you paying attention?
> : Probably not.
> Nah...didn't see that game.  And it was really hard to get any intelligent
> facts out of your blather anyway.

Here is something from my original post.  I guess they didn't require
reading to get into your college, because it is pretty clear I stated
Wisconsin won at Wright State.

BES> And, for your information, Wisconsin has never lossed to UWGB in men's
BES> basketball.  Imagine that!  I wonder if they've lost to Wright State.
BES> Probably not.  Hell, that was the only road game this year that Wisconsin
BES> won without trouble.

Quote:
> Not at all...I think that coaching in the Big 10 is a great job...however
> I would rank the prestige of coaching at UWM equal to that of coaching at

UWM = UW-Milwaukee.  Just refer to it as Wisconsin, or UW.  I'm not being
picky - it's just the way people refer to things up here, and whenever I
see UWM, I think of UW-Milwaukee, which has beaten Wisconsin recently. :^)

Quote:
> That's
> ok though...after being beaten up in the Big 10 year after year, it probably
> feels good to be able to pick on someone smaller than yourself.  I'm sure
> you're familiar with this from the grade school playground.  I just feel
> sorry that those memories stayed with you this long.

"Yourself?"  "Beaten up?"  You've made some big assumptions here:

1.  I have something to do with Wisconsin basketball.  I do have season
tickets, and I did start a Wisconsin mailing list, but I'm not the one
being beaten up.

2.  I am a huge Wisconsin fan.  Wisconsin probably is my second-favorite
team, but you are pulling the old net.newbie trick of seeing "wisc.edu"
and assuming that Wisconsin is my favorite team, which it isn't.  I still
am a bigger fan of the school where I did my undergraduate work, and they
hardly have been "beaten up" in the Big 10 over the past few years.  Why
don't you do some net.research before you make all these assumptions?

Hint for your future comments:  my "favorite" team has won the Big 10 the
last two years.

--

 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by grean.. » Mon, 03 Apr 1995 05:00:00

: And, for your information, Wisconsin has never lossed to UWGB in men's
: basketball.  Imagine that!  I wonder if they've lost to Wright State.
: Probably not.  Hell, that was the only road game this year that Wisconsin
: won without trouble.

: Go back to one of your local groups, s003mwd.  You are not ready for the
: big boys.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Brian, but UW would have 'lossed' (sic) to
Wright State, UWGB, or even Valparaiso on the road this year.  Face it,
they were flat BAD.  Hell, VU hung with 'em at Madison, and they didn't
even have their star (who was also the MidCon player of the year).  This
is the conference that UWGB and WSU move OUT of to move up into a stronger
one.  If Wisconsin would play any high-powered tourneys early in the season,
or actually go TO a small-school site, they'd be in trouble.  But don't
be ashamed of hiding out and playing cupcakes at home...I mean, you have
to pick up wins somewhere...heaven knows you won't get too many of 'em in the
Big 10.

 ____________________________________________________________________
/  Robert Greanias                 |            Hewlett Packard CNS  \

|----------------------------------+---------------------------------|
|  Question : What was the most important event in American History? |
|  Extra Credit : What was the final score of the game?              |
\____________________________________________________________________/

 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by Brian Saunde » Mon, 03 Apr 1995 05:00:00

Quote:

>Sorry to burst your bubble, Brian, but UW would have 'lossed' (sic) to
>Wright State, UWGB, or even Valparaiso on the road this year.  Face it,
>they were flat BAD.

Wisconsin won this year at Wright State; weren't you paying attention?
Probably not.

But that is not what we were discussing, was it?  You conveniently shifted
the topic, because you knew I was right.
--


 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by grean.. » Mon, 03 Apr 1995 05:00:00

: Wisconsin won this year at Wright State; weren't you paying attention?
: Probably not.

Nah...didn't see that game.  And it was really hard to get any intelligent
facts out of your blather anyway.

: But that is not what we were discussing, was it?  You conveniently shifted
: the topic, because you knew I was right.

Not at all...I think that coaching in the Big 10 is a great job...however
I would rank the prestige of coaching at UWM equal to that of coaching at
NU.  Neither program has EVER been current-day constant Big 10 power.  If
you think that the total merit of a coach is how much money he makes, then
perhaps you're right -*** will make more at UWM than at UWGB.  I disagree
with the fact that his position at UWM is anything more than a step up from
being a big fish in a little pond to being a little fish in a big pond.
*** took enough teams to the Wisconsin High School Championship and did
well enough in Green Bay to have a job for life if he wanted it.  He
wanted a shot at the Big 10, as it's one of the power conferences.  Whether
or not UWM is a 'better' job, measured by any stick which you want, it would
be so only because of the conference, not the team.  Then only point you
were making in your post was to slam on small schools in general.  That's
ok though...after being beaten up in the Big 10 year after year, it probably
feels good to be able to pick on someone smaller than yourself.  I'm sure
you're familiar with this from the grade school playground.  I just feel
sorry that those memories stayed with you this long.


 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by grean.. » Mon, 03 Apr 1995 05:00:00

: Here is something from my original post.  I guess they didn't require
: reading to get into your college, because it is pretty clear I stated
: Wisconsin won at Wright State.

: BES> And, for your information, Wisconsin has never lossed to UWGB in men's
: BES> basketball.  Imagine that!  I wonder if they've lost to Wright State.
: BES> Probably not.  Hell, that was the only road game this year that Wisconsin
: BES> won without trouble.

As I stated, I missed it.  When going through material which didn't have
any thought when write, I usually make me give it an equal amount of thought
when I read it.  And what makes you even assume that I went to college in
the first place?  As for the college I most recently attended, sorry, try
again.  We finished ahead of Madison in every "academic" category.  Too bad
we lost to you in hoops (but at least we made the NCAA tourney...perhaps you
can figure it out, being the bright strapping lad that you are.)

: > Not at all...I think that coaching in the Big 10 is a great job...however
: > I would rank the prestige of coaching at UWM equal to that of coaching at

: UWM = UW-Milwaukee.  Just refer to it as Wisconsin, or UW.  I'm not being
: picky - it's just the way people refer to things up here, and whenever I
: see UWM, I think of UW-Milwaukee, which has beaten Wisconsin recently. :^)

Fair enough...I just didn't want to risk spelling Madison wrong.

: "Yourself?"  "Beaten up?"  You've made some big assumptions here:
: 1.  I have something to do with Wisconsin basketball.  I do have season
: tickets, and I did start a Wisconsin mailing list, but I'm not the one
: being beaten up.

No, you're the one doing the beating, and doing it rather poorly.  I merely
corrected you.

: 2.  I am a huge Wisconsin fan.  Wisconsin probably is my second-favorite
: team, but you are pulling the old net.newbie trick of seeing "wisc.edu"
: and assuming that Wisconsin is my favorite team, which it isn't.  I still
: am a bigger fan of the school where I did my undergraduate work, and they
: hardly have been "beaten up" in the Big 10 over the past few years.  Why
: don't you do some net.research before you make all these assumptions?

Ah...net.newbie eh?  Well, I don't think I claimed that UW-Madison was your
favorite team, but I did assume that you were a supporter of them the way
you stated that it was a great program to coach for.  Apparently I was right.
Thanks for trying to twist my words, though.  You have won the home version
of r.c.s.b, and a year supply of Turtle Wax.

: Hint for your future comments:  my "favorite" team has won the Big 10 the
: last two years.

Congratulations - now there is a prestigious program to coach for.


 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by Jeff Mull » Mon, 03 Apr 1995 05:00:00

Quote:

>>  Whether
>>  or not UW is a 'better' job, measured by any stick which you want, it would
>>  be so only because of the conference, not the team.  Then only point you
>>  were making in your post was to slam on small schools in general.

<slight edit, correcting UWM to UW>  Now for the substance:  :-))

I think you're exactly right about the conference giving the job more
prestige. Wisconsin basketball has no great legacy. However, if you look
at the big picture, Wisconsin has a better shot at being a national
contender than UWGB does. If*** Bennett's goal is to make the NCAA
tourney, then he just made a mistake. But if he wants to coach at the
highest level of college basketball, then he's taken a very challenging
step in that direction. I'm not knocking UWGB. I have a great deal of
admiration for that program and whoever replaces Bennett gets my
empathatic best wishes. Tough shoes to fill. But there are 302 Division I
teams and, realistically, only about 100 even have a shot at being a
national power. I hope that*** Bennett can make the Badgers fulfill that
dream!

Jeff

--
"Look, the pyramid is opening!"
"Which one?"
"The one with the ever-widening hole in it!" ? The Firesign Theatre


 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by Brian Saunde » Mon, 03 Apr 1995 05:00:00

[post deleted]

Gee, Robert, you sure put me in my place.  I guess I shouldn't mess with
the likes of you; please forgive me.

--

 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by Bob Richar » Mon, 03 Apr 1995 05:00:00

        Before everyone bashes Wisconsin too badly, you have to remember
that their situation is a case of "what have you done for me lately".  Yoder
definitely wasn't a great coach, finishing 50 - 134 (.272) in ten years,
but Wisconsin had to forfeit all of its games from the 81-82 through the
83-84 season.  After that, it would be hard for anyone to recruit a team
of real quality.  Wisconsin has a great tradition...4th in the rankings of
total Big Ten championships with 14 behind Purdue, Indiana, and Ohio State...
has the third best winning percentage in the NCAA's among Big Ten teams
with .714, granted it was in only 3 appearances...and they have won something
that only 4 other Big Ten teams have...a national championship.  Dick
Bennett will mean good things to the school and conference.  He has proven
that he can take a group of mediocre players and get them to the NCAA's,
and also give the Big Ten champs a scare along the way.  Just think what
he could do with a few top 100 players and the lure of playing...and
competing in the Big Ten.  It means good things and happier days for
Wisconsin basketball fans, plus it will raise the level of competition
within the Big Ten so we don't have to go through another tournament year
like this past one...hopefully.

 ____          _                    _
|  _ \ _  ___ | |__   ___  _ __  __| | ____        Bob Richards

|  _ \| |  -- | | | |  -  | |   | -  |\___  \    Purdue University
|_| |_|_|\___/|_| |_|\___/\_|   \___/_____|  |     Go Boilers!!
|___________________________________________/ Back-To-Back Big Ten Champs!

 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by Ward R Drenn » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Bennett's one great coach.  Although Yoder was a fine coach,
he failed to make Wisconsin a contender and generally had lame
recruiting classes.  The Wisconsin had a string of losers. At least
they got a few top 100 recruits.  Now, if Griffith stays, Bennett has
the hub of what could be one fine team.  Okie, a standout power forward
in the McD's All-American game will make his noise at Wisc and Bennett
will be blessed perhaps with the biggest most talented team he's ever
had.  Griffith may really accel w/ Bennett and if such is the
case, look for Wisconsin to finish as high as 4th in the BT.
I can guarantee you, and Keady may be the first to tell you, no
one will be looking forward to playing Wisconsin w/ Bennett at the helm.
If Griffith plays, Wisconsin will be in the dance.

--
Ward Drennan
Indiana University
Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences  

 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by grean.. » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: Gee, Robert, you sure put me in my place.  I guess I shouldn't mess with
: the likes of you; please forgive me.

Noooo...the death of a good discussion...

 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by Stev » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:


> >       Before everyone bashes Wisconsin too badly, you have to remember
> >that their situation is a case of "what have you done for me lately".  Yoder
> >definitely wasn't a great coach, finishing 50 - 134 (.272) in ten years,
> >but Wisconsin had to forfeit all of its games from the 81-82 through the
> >83-84 season.

>         I've always wondered about this -- just what/who caused this?
>         Were they giving Scott Roth $100 handshakes or something?
>         Free plane rides for Wes Matthews?

I think it had to do with Cory Blackwell getting a sweetheart deal from a
car dealer.  At any rate, I'm pretty sure that Blackwell was the player.
I wasn't aware that the forfeits were for three full seasons.  Since
Blackwell only played for three years, there must have been something else
that caused the forfeits for 81-82.  I also vaguely remember that Yoder
found out about it before it became public knowledge and was something
less than forthright about reporting it.  I think this caused him to have
his salary frozen for a couple of seasons.

I think that Blackwell led the BIG TEN in both scoring and rebounding his
last year, so I wonder who became the leaders after the fact.  I also
think that the forfeits weren't announced for at least a couple of years
after the 83-84 season.

I doubt that these forfeits caused the loss of any more than 15-17 BIG TEN wins.

Hopefully, somebody who actually knows the facts will clear this up.

---Steve

 
 
 

D. Bennett's screwjob

Post by Jazzy » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>    Before everyone bashes Wisconsin too badly, you have to remember
>that their situation is a case of "what have you done for me lately".  Yoder
>definitely wasn't a great coach, finishing 50 - 134 (.272) in ten years,
>but Wisconsin had to forfeit all of its games from the 81-82 through the
>83-84 season.

        I've always wondered about this -- just what/who caused this?
        Were they giving Scott Roth $100 handshakes or something?
        Free plane rides for Wes Matthews?

        Jazzy J

--
Jazzy J  v4.0  "'95" (Netcom)                  |  (O):(913) 676-8962
Systems Engineer / Seaboard Corporation        |  (H):(913) 381-3173
Did U know:  LaSalle Thompson, Steve Smith, Kevin Johnson, and Charles
             Smith all played on the same college team?