Mariners Opening Day (after Opening Night)

Mariners Opening Day (after Opening Night)

Post by Kent Die » Fri, 09 Apr 1993 10:26:12


Dateline: Seattle (Wednesday Afternoon)

Well, just returned from the Mariners Opening Day.  This was essentially
an overflow continuation of the traditional Opening Night.  They had
similar ceremonies ... introducing both teams, fireworks (inside the
dome -- kinda cool), Bruce Hornsby pre-game performance and singing
the National Anthem (the Nylons sang the Canadian National Anthem).

I'm curious if any other team has ever done this.  Following a soldout
Opening Night Game with a "Opening Day" game the following afternoon.
It was nice to get that first game feel, even if you aren't a season
ticket holder.

On to the game: Toronto 2, Mariners 0

Impressions:

        The Bad News (from the perspective of a Blue Jay Detractor)
        - Al Leiter looked like an All-Star (8innings/3hits (one infield
                single by Buhner of all people)/5Ks)
        - Duane Ward looked overpowering in the 9th - smoked Griffey and
                Felder (maybe Tino Martinez - don't remember exactly)
        - Jays looked scrappy - getting one run in the 8th - Devon White
                scoring from 1st on a Alomar double, one run in the 9th
                on a botched double play ball (more later) with runner
                scoring from 2nd.  I think for Toronto to be successful
                they are going to have to keep the score low and win
                by being smart.
        - Amaral is no Harold Reynolds.  In my opinion, he botched three
                double plays by not getting out of the way of the runner,
                (twice) and dropping an easy dribbler.  Probably an athletic
                limitation (disregarding dribbler), but I got used to Harold
                turning those (putting last year aside).  The last run
                turned on one of those plays.  

                Setup: Olerud singles, pinch runner inserted (missed name).
                       Darrin Jackson sacrifices runner to second.
                       Ward intentionally walked
                       Sprague hits ball to short
                       Relay to Amaral at 2nd (out), runner takes throws
                                Amaral off balance, no throw.
                       Meanwhile, pinch runner that used to be at two rounds
                        three (probably because he expected double play) and
                        heads for home with full head of steam.
                       Amaral thinks too long about throw to first (no way)
                        and then throws short to Valle at home.  Valle needs
                        to execute perfect slap catch from several feet
                        in front of the bag ... drops ball, no tag.

                        Upshot: Blue Jays have 2 run lead.  Homerun in 9th
                                still leaves Jays with a lead.  Definitely
                                affected Mariners 9th inning strategy.

        Good News (for Mariner Fans):
          - Bosio lived up to billing (8 innings/ 1run/ 7 Ks/ 5 hits

          - Johnson and Bosio both made Jays look like weak sisters.  Leiter
                did same to Mariners, unfortunately.

          - Uniforms still look perty spiffy

          - Crowd was good

          - Green Hydro beat Blue Hydro

End Transmission

Kent Dietz
Twins in '93
Mariners?  At least it is Major League and American League baseball.

 
 
 

Mariners Opening Day (after Opening Night)

Post by Yvan Cazab » Fri, 09 Apr 1993 21:56:23

Quote:

>Dateline: Seattle (Wednesday Afternoon)
[stuff deleted]
>            Setup: Olerud singles, pinch runner inserted (missed name).

Would you believe Alfredo Griffin????  Man, gutsy!

Quote:
>                   Darrin Jackson sacrifices runner to second.
>                   Ward intentionally walked
>                   Sprague hits ball to short
>                   Relay to Amaral at 2nd (out), runner takes throws
>                            Amaral off balance, no throw.
>                   Meanwhile, pinch runner that used to be at two rounds
>                    three (probably because he expected double play) and
>                    heads for home with full head of steam.
>                   Amaral thinks too long about throw to first (no way)
>                    and then throws short to Valle at home.  Valle needs
>                    to execute perfect slap catch from several feet
>                    in front of the bag ... drops ball, no tag.
[more gone missing]
>End Transmission

>Kent Dietz
>Twins in '93
>Mariners?  At least it is Major League and American League baseball.

--
| Yvan Cazabon                        |   There's nothing wrong               |

| Office: MC28-H                      |                          -Quark       |

 
 
 

Mariners Opening Day (after Opening Night)

Post by Chung Hsiung Ya » Sat, 10 Apr 1993 03:29:51

Quote:

> Dateline: Seattle (Wednesday Afternoon)

> Well, just returned from the Mariners Opening Day.  This was essentially
> an overflow continuation of the traditional Opening Night.  They had
> similar ceremonies ... introducing both teams, fireworks (inside the
> dome -- kinda cool), Bruce Hornsby pre-game performance and singing
> the National Anthem (the Nylons sang the Canadian National Anthem).

> I'm curious if any other team has ever done this.  Following a soldout
> Opening Night Game with a "Opening Day" game the following afternoon.
> It was nice to get that first game feel, even if you aren't a season
> ticket holder.

> On to the game: Toronto 2, Mariners 0

        Sigh! :-(  

        It is just the luck of the Mariner, they could never get good
pitching and hitting in one game.   It is either one or the other.

Quote:
>    Good News (for Mariner Fans):
>      - Bosio lived up to billing (8 innings/ 1run/ 7 Ks/ 5 hits

        That is encouraging.  :-)

- Chung Yang

 
 
 

Mariners Opening Day (after Opening Night)

Post by rsp.. » Sun, 11 Apr 1993 17:27:08

Quote:
>    Good News (for Mariner Fans):
>      - Bosio lived up to billing (8 innings/ 1run/ 7 Ks/ 5 hits

>      - Johnson and Bosio both made Jays look like weak sisters.  Leiter
>            did same to Mariners, unfortunately.

>      - Uniforms still look perty spiffy

>      - Crowd was good

>           - Green Hydro beat Blue Hydro

              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        Yay!  I always root for the green hydro myself, but it never seems to
win when I'm at the game...  Thanks for the laugh...I coming back to Seattle
for the summer, and this post made me really want to see the M's again (I even
bought a new spiffy cap in celebration of their ditching of the old colors...)

Quote:

> End Transmission

> Kent Dietz
> Twins in '93
> Mariners?  At least it is Major League and American League baseball.

Ya gotta love 'em... (at least I do, anyway...)

-Ryan

 
 
 

Mariners Opening Day (after Opening Night)

Post by Paul Andres » Mon, 12 Apr 1993 02:05:39

|>           Setup: Olerud singles, pinch runner inserted (missed name).
|>                  Darrin Jackson sacrifices runner to second.
|>                  Ward intentionally walked
|>                  Sprague hits ball to short
|>                  Relay to Amaral at 2nd (out), runner takes throws
|>                           Amaral off balance, no throw.
|>                  Meanwhile, pinch runner that used to be at two rounds
|>                   three (probably because he expected double play) and
|>                   heads for home with full head of steam.
|>                  Amaral thinks too long about throw to first (no way)
|>                   and then throws short to Valle at home.  Valle needs
|>                   to execute perfect slap catch from several feet
|>                   in front of the bag ... drops ball, no tag.

The pinch runner was Alfredo Griffin. I thought that Griffins dash to the
plate was bad base running. He just lucked out that Amaral was asleep at the
switch. The Jays first base coach, in the paper on Thursday, said that
Griffin ran through his "stop" sign.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           We will stretch no farm animal beyond its natural length


    home: 3006 NW McKinley    Corvallis, OR 97330       (503)-752-8424
                            A SABR member since 1979