Oakland '75 vs Cincinnati '75 simulation

Oakland '75 vs Cincinnati '75 simulation

Post by Lee Harri » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:55:05


OK, I am just getting to grips with Statis Pro baseball which has been
educational since I'm not au fait with baseball yet but a friend helped me
through the game and it turned out to be a very exciting one with the Reds
jumping out to an early lead 4-0 in the 1st, then moving to 9-1 after the
top of the 9th, but Oakland amazingly loaded the bases and piled on the
singles but came just short at 9-7 of a great comeback, and may have done it
if I had not rashly {perhaps] tried to steal 3rd base with no one out with
the score still 1-9.

I am now going to try and fill in a scorecard and I will post it somewhere
and hopefully someone can let me know if I made any mistakes.

Cincinnati 75 at Oakland 75
---------------------------
Starting Pitchers:
CIN: Gary Nolan
OAK: Kenny Holtzmann

Batting Lineup:
OAK
Jackson - LF
Washington - CF
Rudi - 1B
Tenace - C
Garner - 2B
North - RF
Sal Bando - 3B
Bert Campaneris - SS
Billy Williams - DH

CIN
Ken Griffey - LF
Cesar Geronimo - CF
George Foster - RF
Tony Perez - 1B
Joe Morgan - 2B
Pete Rose - 3B
Dave Concepcion - SS
Johnny Bench - C
Dan Driessen - DH

Box Score
---------
Team R  H  E       1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
CIN   9  14  2      4  0  0  0  0  0  0  2  3
OAK 7  12  2      0  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  6

GamePlay:

1st Inning

Holtzmann pitching
Griffey 2B8 on difficult fly chance
Geronimo 1B7 - Griffey scores [RBI]
Foster 1B8 - Geronimo to 3rd
Perez grounds out into double play [3B-2B-1B] Geronimo scores
Morgan Walks - steals 2nd base with Rose at bat
Rose - Home Run - Rose and Morgan score, 2 RBIs
Concepcion - 1B9
[Holtzmann pulled from lineup, Vida Blue replacement]
Bench line drives out to 3B

Nolan pitching
Jackson out [6-3] tagged at 1st
Washington Walks
Rudi pop flies infield to catcher
Tenace 1B8, Washington to 2nd
Washington steals 3rd on error 3B - CS
Garner - pop flies infield to catcher

2nd Inning
Driessen out at 1st [6-3]
Griffey 1B9
Geronimo pop flies infield to catcher
Foster 1B9, Griffey to 2nd
Perez 1B9, Foster to 2nd, Griffey to 3rd
Morgan out at 1st [3]

North out at 1st [6-3]
Bando out at 1st [6-3]
Campaneris out flyball to CF

3rd Inning
Rose out at 1st [3-1]
Concepcion pop flies infield to SS
Bench gets to 1st on error by 3B E%
Driessen out at 1st [5-3]

Wiliams out at 1st [5-3]
Jackson walks
Washington out fly to RF
Rudi line drives out to P

4th Inning
Griffey walks
Geronimo walks
[Vida Blue pulled from lineup,Dick Bosman in]
Foster struckout
Perez grounds out into double play [6-4-3]

Tenace walks
Garner grounds out into double play [6-4-3]
North out flies to CF

5th Inning
Morgan out at 1st [4-3]
Rose struckout
Concepcion out at 1st [6-3]

Bando 1B9
Campaneris line drives out to SS
Williams out at 1st [3] but Bando moves to 2nd
Jackson out at 1st [3]

6th Inning
Bench struckout
Driessen struckout
Griffey walks
Geronimo 2B9 - Griffey tagged out at home.

Washington flies out to RF
Rudi out flies to 3B
Tenace struck out

7th Inning
[Bosman replaced by Glen Abbot]
Foster line drives out to SS
Perez struck out
Morgan line drives out to 1B

Garner flies out to catcher
North 1B9
Bando struckout
Campaneris to 1st on FC, North out at 2nd [6-4]

8th Inning
Rose grounds out at 1st [5-3]
Concepcion 1B8
Bench struckout
Driessen HOME RUN - Concepcion and Driessen score, 2RBIs
Griffey out at 1st [6-3]

Williams out [4-3] at 1st
Jackson walks
Washington 1B9, Jackson to 2nd
Rudi shallow fly double, Jackson scores, Washington to 3rd, 2B8 for Rudi
[Nolan pulled, McEnaney to pitch for Cinci]
Tenace struckout
Garner out at 1st [1-3]

9th Inning
Geronimo struck out
Foster HOME RUN
Perez 1B8
Morgan walks, Perez to 2nd
Rose safe on E% at 1st, Morgan to 3rd, Perez scores
Concepcion flies out to catcher
Bench 2B9, Morgan scores, Rose to 3rd, RBI
Driessen struckout

North 2B9 out stealing 3rd [2-5]
Bando 1B9
Campaneris 1B8, Bando to 2nd
Williams 1B8, Campaneris to 2nd, Bando to 3rd
Jackson walks, Bando scores, Campaneris to 3rd,Williams to 2nd
[McEnaney pulled for Borbon]
Washington 1B9, Campaneris scores, Williams to 3rd, Jackson to 2nd
Rudi 2B7, 2RBIs, Williams, Jackson score, Washington to 3rd
Tenace 1B8, Washington scores, Rudi to 3rd
Garner to 1st on error E%, Rudi scores, Tenace to 2nd
North struckout
Bando safe on FC, Tenace out at 3rd [2-5]

End of Game

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.380 / Virus Database: 213 - Release Date: 24/07/02

 
 
 

Oakland '75 vs Cincinnati '75 simulation

Post by Robert Coffe » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 21:19:12

Quote:

> CIN
> Ken Griffey - LF
> Cesar Geronimo - CF
> George Foster - RF
> Tony Perez - 1B
> Joe Morgan - 2B
> Pete Rose - 3B
> Dave Concepcion - SS
> Johnny Bench - C
> Dan Driessen - DH

If you try this again, you may want to use a more realistic
batting order.  I cant help you with the 75 As, but the 76
Reds were the first team whose batting order I had memorized.

They were usually, IIRC (it has been 26 years):
Rose
Griffey
Morgan  (or was it Morgan then Griffey?)
Foster
Perez
Bench
Concepcion
Geronimo
Pitcher

With a DH, put Driessen either 6th or 7th and push everyone
down 1 spot.

Rob

 
 
 

Oakland '75 vs Cincinnati '75 simulation

Post by Lee Harri » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 21:21:39

Yeah, thanks bud
actually the guy I played with told me a little more about that, I just put
them in what I thought looked liked best order but he explained how you have
the power hitters at 3,4,5 etc and get guys on base first etc.... but thanks
for the info on Cinci.. hopefully I can find out about the 10 teams I have
in the game and set the lineups properly.


Quote:

> > CIN
> > Ken Griffey - LF
> > Cesar Geronimo - CF
> > George Foster - RF
> > Tony Perez - 1B
> > Joe Morgan - 2B
> > Pete Rose - 3B
> > Dave Concepcion - SS
> > Johnny Bench - C
> > Dan Driessen - DH

> If you try this again, you may want to use a more realistic
> batting order.  I cant help you with the 75 As, but the 76
> Reds were the first team whose batting order I had memorized.

> They were usually, IIRC (it has been 26 years):
> Rose
> Griffey
> Morgan  (or was it Morgan then Griffey?)
> Foster
> Perez
> Bench
> Concepcion
> Geronimo
> Pitcher

> With a DH, put Driessen either 6th or 7th and push everyone
> down 1 spot.

> Rob

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.380 / Virus Database: 213 - Release Date: 24/07/02

 
 
 

Oakland '75 vs Cincinnati '75 simulation

Post by Roger Moo » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 02:29:24

Quote:

>but Oakland amazingly loaded the bases and piled on the
>singles but came just short at 9-7 of a great comeback, and may have done it
>if I had not rashly {perhaps] tried to steal 3rd base with no one out with
>the score still 1-9.

No perhaps about it.  Trying to steal third base with none out and the
other team leading by a large margin is _terrible_ baseball.  It violates
two long standing rules of thumb, both of which seem to be well supported
by statistial analysis.  

One rule of thumb is that a runner should never risk making the first or
last out of the inning at third base.  The big advantage of being on third
is that the runner can score on a long fly ball or an infield out.  He
can't score either way with two out, and with none out his chances of
scoring from second are already high enough that the risk just isn't
worthwhile.

The other rule of thumb is that it doesn't make sense to steal bases when
your team is far behind.  Stealing bases is generally regarded as a "one
run strategy", i.e. it increases the chances of scoring one run at the
cost of decreasing the chances of scoring more than one run.  That's fine
as long as that one run is an important one, but when you're 8 runs behind
you can't afford to play for one run at a time.  You need to score a bunch
of runs, and stealing bases isn't going to help much.

--

Sponsor of the Walter Johnson, Home Run Baker, and Bob Caruthers pages at
http://www.baseball-reference.com

 
 
 

Oakland '75 vs Cincinnati '75 simulation

Post by Ronald L Matthew » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 03:23:38


Quote:
> No perhaps about it.  Trying to steal third base with none out
> and the other team leading by a large margin is _terrible_
> baseball.  It violates two long standing rules of thumb, both
> of which seem to be well supported by statistial analysis.  

My question is this: why would anybody with even the slightest
understanding of the game have to "support" something so obvious
with "statistical anal-ysis?"

Furthermore, why would somebody with even the slightest
understanding of the game seek out such anal-ysis to support
something so obvious?

cordially, as always,

rm

 
 
 

Oakland '75 vs Cincinnati '75 simulation

Post by Brett Wilso » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 03:45:54

Quote:

> Batting Lineup:
> OAK
> Jackson - LF
> Washington - CF
> Rudi - 1B
> Tenace - C
> Garner - 2B
> North - RF
> Sal Bando - 3B
> Bert Campaneris - SS
> Billy Williams - DH

> CIN
> Ken Griffey - LF
> Cesar Geronimo - CF
> George Foster - RF
> Tony Perez - 1B
> Joe Morgan - 2B
> Pete Rose - 3B
> Dave Concepcion - SS
> Johnny Bench - C
> Dan Driessen - DH

Even though the DH hits instead of the pitcher, he doesn't have to hit
in the ninth lineup spot.

--BW.

 
 
 

Oakland '75 vs Cincinnati '75 simulation

Post by David Fo » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:41:49

Quote:

> Yeah, thanks bud
> actually the guy I played with told me a little more about that, I just put
> them in what I thought looked liked best order but he explained how you have
> the power hitters at 3,4,5 etc and get guys on base first etc.... but thanks
> for the info on Cinci.. hopefully I can find out about the 10 teams I have
> in the game and set the lineups properly.

Retrosheet has the 1975 season play by play now:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Y_1975.htm

You can click on the roster for each team, then click on a player,
select "Splits" for 1975 and see how much each player hit in each spot
in the lineup.