Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by Holly Q Pal » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 12:17:01


I think Leonard would have kicked Robinson's ass. Robinson mostly beat
up slow white guys. He didn't go against guys like Hearn, Hagler,
Duran, and Davey Boy Green.
 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by BoxMuh » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 14:07:33

Quote:

>He didn't go against guys like Hearn, Hagler,
>Duran, and Davey Boy Green.

         Uh...   No.

               BoxMuhammad

 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by Loki » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 14:10:36



Quote:
>I think Leonard would have kicked Robinson's ass. Robinson mostly beat
>up slow white guys. He didn't go against guys like Hearn, Hagler,
>Duran, and Davey Boy Green.

No, but he went up against LaMotta, a few times in a 6 month period.
Robinson beats Leonard. At any weight.

Loki

 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by Lordorphiu » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:26:17

Leonard is an all-time great to say the least. But Robinson was the greatest
period. if they fought five time Leonard might win once but Robinson was the
better. about the competition I don't see why skin color even has to come up
thats not productive at all. the fighters you named for leonard were awesome
indeed but so were Carmen Basillio, Tony Zale, Jake LaMotta, and a whole lot
more for Robinson who went 175-19-6-2 and very nearly dethroned Joey Maxim for
the light heavy belt Leonard's hall of fame resume included 36-3-1 a gold medal
belts in ump*** divisions even the light heavy but Maxim was better then
Lalande
 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by Donald Macangu » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 12:53:10


Quote:
> Leonard is an all-time great to say the least. But Robinson was the
greatest
> period. if they fought five time Leonard might win once but Robinson was
the
> better. about the competition I don't see why skin color even has to come
up
> thats not productive at all. the fighters you named for leonard were
awesome
> indeed but so were Carmen Basillio, Tony Zale, Jake LaMotta, and a whole
lot
> more for Robinson who went 175-19-6-2 and very nearly dethroned Joey Maxim
for
> the light heavy belt Leonard's hall of fame resume included 36-3-1 a gold
medal
> belts in ump*** divisions even the light heavy but Maxim was better then
> Lalande

I think Leonard could have been competitive with Robinson at welterweight,
only because of his speed.  At the higher weights, Robinson was just too
strong.  I do not think Leonard would ever have beaten Robinson.

Sugar Ray Robinson was probably the greatest fighter that ever lived.  He is
certainly the best welterweight who ever lived, and I think he is also the
best middleweight that ever lived.

A much better matchup in my opinion, would be Robinson v Hagler.  Now that
would have been a war.  I think Marvin's chin would have kept him in there
all night, and his punch would have made Ray think twice about staying in
close.  Ah... dreams.

 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by Loki » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:52:15

On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:53:10 GMT, "Donald Macangus"

Quote:

>I think Leonard could have been competitive with Robinson at welterweight,
>only because of his speed.  At the higher weights, Robinson was just too
>strong.  I do not think Leonard would ever have beaten Robinson.

>Sugar Ray Robinson was probably the greatest fighter that ever lived.  He is
>certainly the best welterweight who ever lived, and I think he is also the
>best middleweight that ever lived.

>A much better matchup in my opinion, would be Robinson v Hagler.  Now that
>would have been a war.  I think Marvin's chin would have kept him in there
>all night, and his punch would have made Ray think twice about staying in
>close.  Ah... dreams.

Monzon would have given SRR a much more competitive fight. There was
nothing that Hagler brought to the table that SRR did not handle in
the LaMotta fights.

Loki

 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by Observer » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 22:43:43

        I read in interview that Monzon gave several years ago.  He admitted
to being a chain-smoker between fights, but once Monzon started training for
a match, he'd temporarily stop.


Quote:
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:53:10 GMT, "Donald Macangus"

> >I think Leonard could have been competitive with Robinson at
welterweight,
> >only because of his speed.  At the higher weights, Robinson was just too
> >strong.  I do not think Leonard would ever have beaten Robinson.

> >Sugar Ray Robinson was probably the greatest fighter that ever lived.  He
is
> >certainly the best welterweight who ever lived, and I think he is also
the
> >best middleweight that ever lived.

> >A much better matchup in my opinion, would be Robinson v Hagler.  Now
that
> >would have been a war.  I think Marvin's chin would have kept him in
there
> >all night, and his punch would have made Ray think twice about staying in
> >close.  Ah... dreams.

> Monzon would have given SRR a much more competitive fight. There was
> nothing that Hagler brought to the table that SRR did not handle in
> the LaMotta fights.

> Loki

 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by Donald Macangu » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 06:24:47


Quote:
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:53:10 GMT, "Donald Macangus"

> >I think Leonard could have been competitive with Robinson at
welterweight,
> >only because of his speed.  At the higher weights, Robinson was just too
> >strong.  I do not think Leonard would ever have beaten Robinson.

> >Sugar Ray Robinson was probably the greatest fighter that ever lived.  He
is
> >certainly the best welterweight who ever lived, and I think he is also
the
> >best middleweight that ever lived.

> >A much better matchup in my opinion, would be Robinson v Hagler.  Now
that
> >would have been a war.  I think Marvin's chin would have kept him in
there
> >all night, and his punch would have made Ray think twice about staying in
> >close.  Ah... dreams.

> Monzon would have given SRR a much more competitive fight. There was
> nothing that Hagler brought to the table that SRR did not handle in
> the LaMotta fights.

Oh, I think LaMotta was a much more one-dimensional fighter.  He had one
gear, and that was full speed ahead, peddle to the metal.  Of course, he did
play possum a few times, and lay on the ropes like he was hurt, only to
spring out of it to catch his opponent.  But Hagler was much more capable of
adapting to a fighter's style than LaMotta, IMO.
 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by Dennis Beeb » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 06:44:30

Hagler was an excellent boxer. LaMotta wasn't. He got pissed off over the draw
to Antefuermo and became more of a brawler as a result. He felt he was robbed
and wasn't going to leave his fights in the hands of the judges anymore. I can't
imagine a more exciting and competitive dream fight than Robinson/Leonard at
welterweight and to be honest it would be hard for me to say who would win. Both
had great chins, power to burn, trememdous skills....... I'd probably go with
Robinson because of the edge in experience.
Quote:



> > On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:53:10 GMT, "Donald Macangus"

> > >I think Leonard could have been competitive with Robinson at
> welterweight,
> > >only because of his speed.  At the higher weights, Robinson was just too
> > >strong.  I do not think Leonard would ever have beaten Robinson.

> > >Sugar Ray Robinson was probably the greatest fighter that ever lived.  He
> is
> > >certainly the best welterweight who ever lived, and I think he is also
> the
> > >best middleweight that ever lived.

> > >A much better matchup in my opinion, would be Robinson v Hagler.  Now
> that
> > >would have been a war.  I think Marvin's chin would have kept him in
> there
> > >all night, and his punch would have made Ray think twice about staying in
> > >close.  Ah... dreams.

> > Monzon would have given SRR a much more competitive fight. There was
> > nothing that Hagler brought to the table that SRR did not handle in
> > the LaMotta fights.

> Oh, I think LaMotta was a much more one-dimensional fighter.  He had one
> gear, and that was full speed ahead, peddle to the metal.  Of course, he did
> play possum a few times, and lay on the ropes like he was hurt, only to
> spring out of it to catch his opponent.  But Hagler was much more capable of
> adapting to a fighter's style than LaMotta, IMO.

 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by Pete » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 22:32:14

clipped

Hi Don, and welcome back, big D :)

Quote:
> Sugar Ray Robinson was probably the greatest fighter that ever lived.  He is
> certainly the best welterweight who ever lived, and I think he is also the
> best middleweight that ever lived.

Well that's a big call. Best welter? Quite possibly. Best middle? I
dunno.
Styles make fights as you know, and I think a couple of guys since
SRR's day that could have tested him; at least played his style better
than others.

Hagler certainly, and Pernell Whitaker might have had the game to
frustrate him and eke out a win. Tszyu has the style too (stand
toe-to-toe if you are silly enough) and I really think that in years
to come, history will judge Tszyu as one of the very best.

Robinson of course was the consumate fighter and any claims to a
fantasy win over him will alsways be treated with a healthy
scepticism.

Cheers

Peter

 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by Clubberin Peter G Dell » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 08:03:35

Tszyu is weak and over rated Peter the ***.
Australian boxers are the weakest.
 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by BoxMuh » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 13:10:12

Quote:

>Best welter? Quite possibly. Best middle? I
>dunno.

        That's about the size of it.

         Such a legend.  But such a picture of ass *** grace in the ring.

          Like a lot of boxing fans, Ray Robinson is pro'lly my favorite
fighter.

           My favorite fighters?
           SRR, The Hands of Stone, Henry Armstrong, The Brown Bomber, The
Greatest, The Cobra, The Mongoose, Monzon, Foster, The Rock, The Manassa
Mauler, The Fighting Marine, Benny Leonard, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Ray
Leonard, The Will of the Wisp, Smokin' Joe, Sam Langford, George Foreman, The
Galveston Giant, The Easton Assassin, Harry Greb, JC Chavez, Sweet Pea...
Guess I got a whole lot more.

Quote:
>I really think that in years
>to come, history will judge Tszyu as one of the very best.

         I haven't really thought that far down the line, but Tszyu is great.
He's my favorite active fighter.  

Quote:
>Robinson of course was the consumate fighter and any claims to a
>fantasy win over him will alsways be treated with a healthy
>scepticism.

         Asi, Senor...

        Enjoy the fights!

              BoxMuhammad

 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by Loki » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:06:59


Quote:

>>Best welter? Quite possibly. Best middle? I
>>dunno.

>        That's about the size of it.

>         Such a legend.  But such a picture of ass *** grace in the ring.

>          Like a lot of boxing fans, Ray Robinson is pro'lly my favorite
>fighter.

>           My favorite fighters?
>           SRR, The Hands of Stone, Henry Armstrong, The Brown Bomber, The
>Greatest, The Cobra, The Mongoose, Monzon, Foster, The Rock, The Manassa
>Mauler, The Fighting Marine, Benny Leonard, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Ray
>Leonard, The Will of the Wisp, Smokin' Joe, Sam Langford, George Foreman, The
>Galveston Giant, The Easton Assassin, Harry Greb, JC Chavez, Sweet Pea...
>Guess I got a whole lot more.

Personally I would put the Hawk on my list, somewhere in the top 10.

Loki

 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by BoxMuh » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:44:38

Quote:


>>           My favorite fighters?
>>           SRR, The Hands of Stone, Henry Armstrong, The Brown Bomber, The
>>Greatest, The Cobra, The Mongoose, Monzon, Foster, The Rock, The Manassa
>>Mauler, The Fighting Marine, Benny Leonard, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Ray
>>Leonard, The Will of the Wisp, Smokin' Joe, Sam Langford, George Foreman,
>The
>>Galveston Giant, The Easton Assassin, Harry Greb, JC Chavez, Sweet Pea...
>>Guess I got a whole lot more.

>Personally I would put the Hawk on my list, somewhere in the top 10.

       AP, another of my favorite fighters.

                BoxM

 
 
 

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

Post by Genial Uncle Bo » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 00:41:08



Quote:



>Well that's a big call. Best welter? Quite possibly. Best middle? I
>dunno.
>Styles make fights as you know, and I think a couple of guys since
>SRR's day that could have tested him; at least played his style better
>than others.

>Hagler certainly,

And Monzon. Both of these guys would have at least strongly tested any
middleweight who ever lived. No credible fan could discount the threat that
these two fighters would be. But it is tough to bet against Mr. Smith. He was
one wily, smooth, fast, crafty, graceful, durable, hard-punching sonofa***.

Man, what a division. The middleweights are deep.

and Pernell Whitaker might have had the game to

Quote:
>frustrate him and eke out a win.

That fight would be a tactician's dream.

Tszyu has the style too (stand

Quote:
>toe-to-toe if you are silly enough) and I really think that in years
>to come, history will judge Tszyu as one of the very best.

I like Tszyu. And I think history will show that he was one of the best of this
era. But I don't think he'd be a match for Robinson.