GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by Harry Luithar » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00


: A.  The Content of Your Post

: 1.  Please discuss pertinent issues and post appropriately.  rec.sport.boxing
: is *not* for the discussion of martial arts, multiple disciplines,
: wrestling, UFC or tough man contests.  The topics can best be read about and
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: discussed in rec.martial-arts and rec.sport.pro-wrestling.  

  I always thought that tough man contests more or less follow boxing
  rules and are actually a really wretched type of amateur boxing. If
  that is the case, then they are just as appropriate for rsb as the
  Golden Gloves or the Olympic stuff. Of course, I'm not going to be
  watching these things anytime soon.

  Harry

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by Melanie L » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:


>: A.  The Content of Your Post

>: 1.  Please discuss pertinent issues and post appropriately.  rec.sport.boxing
>: is *not* for the discussion of martial arts, multiple disciplines,
>: wrestling, UFC or tough man contests.  The topics can best be read about and
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>: discussed in rec.martial-arts and rec.sport.pro-wrestling.  

>  I always thought that tough man contests more or less follow boxing
>  rules and are actually a really wretched type of amateur boxing. If
>  that is the case,

        Is not the case - no where near the case - not even similar, close, or remotely
related.  

|\/| _ |  ,_. _  |  _  
|  |(/_|(||||(/_ |_(/_\/
                      /
------------------------------------
Grandma's do love boxing.
Just ask me!                        
------------------------------------

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by Melanie L » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:


>: >  I always thought that tough man contests more or less follow boxing
>: >  rules and are actually a really wretched type of amateur boxing. If
>: >  that is the case,

>:   Is not the case - no where near the case - not even similar, close, or remotely
>: related.  

>  really ? I ran across some tough man stuff once or twice while channel
>  surfing, and, based on the few minutes that I watched, it seemed
>  like they were using boxing rules except that they tinkered somewhat
>  with the length of the rounds.

>  What are tough man contest rules ?

>  Harry

        Emailed reply.

Mel

|\/| _ |  ,_. _  |  _  
|  |(/_|(||||(/_ |_(/_\/
                      /
------------------------------------
Grandma's do love boxing.
Just ask me!                        
------------------------------------

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by Harry Luithar » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: >  I always thought that tough man contests more or less follow boxing
: >  rules and are actually a really wretched type of amateur boxing. If
: >  that is the case,

:       Is not the case - no where near the case - not even similar, close, or remotely
: related.  

  really ? I ran across some tough man stuff once or twice while channel
  surfing, and, based on the few minutes that I watched, it seemed
  like they were using boxing rules except that they tinkered somewhat
  with the length of the rounds.

  What are tough man contest rules ?

  Harry

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by Remo Willia » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:
>>: 1.  Please discuss pertinent issues and post appropriately.  rec.sport.boxing
>>: is *not* for the discussion of martial arts, multiple disciplines,
>>: wrestling, UFC or tough man contests.  The topics can best be read about and

Umm, I was with you right up until you mentioned "tough man" contests.

Quote:
>>  I always thought that tough man contests more or less follow boxing
>>  rules and are actually a really wretched type of amateur boxing. If
>>  that is the case,

I always thought this, too.  

Quote:
>    Is not the case - no where near the case - not even similar, close, or remotely
>related.  

Well, Grandma, tough shit.  Tough Man Contests are similar, close, and related.
In fact, Morrison is an alumni of the circuit.  It might be ugly, it might be
cheesy, but it's real.  And, it's also boxing.  Tough Man contests are certainly
valid for this group.

-Remo

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by Matad » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00



Quote:

>Well, Grandma, tough shit.  Tough Man Contests are similar, close, and
related.
>In fact, Morrison is an alumni of the circuit.  It might be ugly, it might be
>cheesy, but it's real.  And, it's also boxing.  Tough Man contests are
certainly
>valid for this group.

The consistency of Boxmel's feces aside, if Tough man contests were like boxing
they would be called boxing.

As it is tough man contests feature two untrained, unschooled men hitting on
each other for three one-minute rounds without regard to weight classes. There
is no regulations, no drug testing, no aids testing, and no impartial governing
body to prevent cheating and to ensure the safety of the fighters. Only the two
finalists are monetarily compensated in any way, and that is usually a paltry
sum.

Boxing, on the other hand, is closely regulated to ensure the safety of the
combatants. There is an established amateur program where athletes can practice
and hone their technique. In the corners are experience trainers and cut men
who know their business and their fighter, not Mr. T.

In short, just because some overweight clown sticks leather gloves on each
hand, gives himself a cool nickname and wings punches at another man doesn't
mean it deserves to be called boxing. Heck, Butterbean fights on TV now and few
call it boxing. If you want to start rec.barbrawl.tough.overweight.wannabees
please go ahead, but toughman contests don't belong in a boxing newsgroup and
certainly not just because you say so.

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by John R. Cobarruvi » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

> >>: 1.  Please discuss pertinent issues and post appropriately.
rec.sport.boxing
> >>: is *not* for the discussion of martial arts, multiple disciplines,
> >>: wrestling, UFC or tough man contests.  The topics can best be read
about and

> Umm, I was with you right up until you mentioned "tough man" contests.

Tough man contests belong in alt.entertainment. It is not a sport. Never
was. So by definition it doesnt event belong in rec.sport. much less
rec.sport.boxing. Look at the original charter.

Anyway, anyone who has the intelligence to want to talk tough man contests
probably are too busy suckin down the 99 cent six packs and trying to keep
from getting sucked down into their couch. (much less trying to figure out
how to turn on their com-pooter!)

--
John R. Cobarruvias

Houston, Tx

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by Brad Gra » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00


Quote:



>>Well, Grandma, tough shit.  Tough Man Contests are similar, close, and
>related.
>>In fact, Morrison is an alumni of the circuit.  It might be ugly, it might be
>>cheesy, but it's real.  And, it's also boxing.  Tough Man contests are
>certainly
>>valid for this group.

>The consistency of Boxmel's feces aside, if Tough man contests were like boxing
>they would be called boxing.

>As it is tough man contests feature two untrained, unschooled men hitting on
>each other for three one-minute rounds without regard to weight classes. There
>is no regulations, no drug testing, no aids testing, and no impartial governing
>body to prevent cheating and to ensure the safety of the fighters. Only the two
>finalists are monetarily compensated in any way, and that is usually a paltry
>sum.

Gee, not everybody can make million dollar paydays like Tyson, etc.  These men
are boxers just like them, just not as good.  You make boxing sound like some
elite sport that only the gifted can play, well anybody can box if they want to.
so what if these over-weight(which is most of the population), out of
shape(again, like most of the population) and non-championship caliber(like most
boxers out there), they still should be able to box.

Quote:
>Boxing, on the other hand, is closely regulated to ensure the safety
of the
>combatants. There is an established amateur program where athletes can
practice
>and hone their technique. In the corners are experience trainers and
cut men
>who know their business and their fighter, not Mr. T.

Yeah, boxing has some sterling history to it, and some of the most
giving, and admirable men are associated to it.

Quote:
>In short, just because some overweight clown sticks leather gloves on
each
>hand, gives himself a cool nickname and wings punches at another man
doesn't
>mean it deserves to be called boxing. Heck, Butterbean fights on TV
now and few
>call it boxing. If you want to start

rec.barbrawl.tough.overweight.wannabees

Quote:
>please go ahead, but toughman contests don't belong in a boxing
newsgroup and
>certainly not just because you say so.

I am sure you are that much better than all these slobs and cretins
that actually box for fun, and maybe for profit.  You are alienating a
lot of people by associating being over-weight and un-boxing-talented
with also being a worthless human being, but i am sure you are much
better than that and have a motive for this drivel.

Brad

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by test » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

HEY THERE MEL, TOUCHE TO YOUR COMMMENTS AS TO TTHIS KNOWELGE OF AMATURE BOXING. TALK TO YOU LATTER

                                             MIKE

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by Remo Willia » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:
>>I always thought this, too.  
>    I'm aghast!  And I thought you were the most knowledgable boxing person on this
>newsgroup.  My faith has been shaken.  My hero has clay feet.

No one has ever accused me of being the most knowledgable boxing person on this group.
I have a fighter's insight and I can evaluate a performance as such, but there are
plenty of better researchers than I.  Plus, everyone thinks my boxing picks suck.

Quote:
>    Strange - they are outlawed in most states.  If they were similar, close and
>related, wouldn't the State Athletic Commissions embrace them in their area of
>sanctioning and overseeing?  Oh - maybe where you are.................

Because the ToughMan circuit is owned by one man.  No skimming.

Quote:
>    Hmmmmmm - last I knew, from Morrison's ex-trainer, Tommy came out of the
>amateurs and into the pros.  I do know, however, he has had a few fights in
>local bars...............Oh!  I get it!  In your expertise, the amateurs are the
>toughman circuit.  Wonder if USA Boxing is aware of this.  You should probably
>write them a letter informing them of their lack of knowledge in this area.

The kid used to fight ToughMan contests in Oklahoma.  Was a champion one year.
Started fighting when he was four***.  Ask his ex-trainer about it.

Quote:
>    I am also really surprised that you haven't chosen to contest the Guidelines
>with the entire FAQ Group since the Guidelines were not my personal,
>"narrowminded," or "prejudicial" points of view.  They are the views of not only
>the FAQ Group but the majority of posters on this newsgroup.  Sighhhh - guess
>it's easier to attack a defensless old lady than it is to confront a topic with
>your male peers.  

I am really surprised you find it necessary to hide behind your gender concerning this
topic.  Surely, as the most visible member of the FAQ group and the obvious spokesperson
for the cabal, you can take these issues back to them and discuss it on your FAQ time.

You are hardly defenseless or old.  I won't go near "lady".

Quote:
>    I thought you originally founded this newsgroup for the purpose of posting about
>the sport of boxing - at least that's what you have stated in the past.  You did
>not post a Guideline about the content, what is and is not allowed - therefore I
>would say the newsgroup has evolved past your original involvement. If you don't

I would say the newsgroup has not evolved past my involvement.  It's here because
of boxing.  I don't watch Tough Man contests because my tastes are more refined
at this point, however they wear boxing gloves, fight rounds, and don't use
kicking, so it's relevant material, even if it is sloppy.  It isn't blatantly fixed,
it has an appeal to the underdog, and it represents the kind of people who are tough
enough to just do it, training aside.

You want to define boxing?  Let's define it somewhere else.  Let's not get started on
how piss-poor modern boxing is, how awful the judges are and how well-paid they must
be to give decisions to King fighters.  Let's not start on the rankings which are
engineered to give paydays and not fan fights.

In short, let's not throw stones in glass houses.  At least with Tough Man, you
can see how the champion got there.

-Remo

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by Ivan Weis » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00


Quote:
> Well, Grandma, tough shit.  Tough Man Contests are similar, close, and related.
> In fact, Morrison is an alumni of the circuit.  It might be ugly, it might be
> cheesy, but it's real.  And, it's also boxing.  Tough Man contests are certainly
> valid for this group.

May I respectfully disagree with you? Thanks. Pro boxing is shady enough
without having it include "tough man" contests, which are not sanctioned,
have no standards, and no way of enforcing against any kind of hanky
panky. The officiating (what there is of it) is shit, the fighters are
shit, and IMO its legitimacy is shit. My personal preference is that
"tough man" contests shouldn't be discussed on this newsgroup. What you
do about it, of course, is up to you. Clearly I support an admonition in
the FAQ against these posts.

And do please treat Melanie with more respect, for she has earned it.

Ivan Weiss
Seattle Times

Standard disclaimer

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by Phrank Da Slugge » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:



> >Tough Man Contests are similar, close, and related....And, it's also boxing.  > >Tough Man contests are certainly valid for this group.
> The consistency of Boxmel's feces aside, if Tough man contests were like
> boxing they would be called boxing....

Bravo, Matador! Ex-act-ly. I guess, according to Remo's logic, WWF and UFC
belong here, too? Oh, God, haven't we been through this a million times
already?  

Quote:
> ...but toughman contests don't belong in a boxing newsgroup and
> certainly not just because you say so.

Yes. Let's leave egos behind, shall we?

Phrank Da Slugger

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by Phrank Da Slugge » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>    I thought you originally founded this newsgroup for the purpose of posting
> about the sport of boxing...

Yeah, like it says: rec.sport. BOXING. Not
rec.sport.sorta-boxing-related-fighting-events-like-tough man, ufc and
anything else...

Quote:
> Since you have decided to
> have a temper tantrum on r.s.b., why don't you, instead, email your thoughts
> to the FAQ Group.  You have a list of their names.

We're waiting...

Phrank Da Slugger

 
 
 

GUIDELINES TO POSTING ON R.S.B.

Post by Thomas Jord » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

:   What are tough man contest rules ?

Briefly:

Man A says "Ah'm the toughest man in this here county"
Man B says "Well, I just done gone whupped your cousin"
Man A replies "Are you saying you can whup me?"
Man B replies, looking around the room "I guess ah'm"

Both then retreat to bar (assuming it's not a 'dry' county), drink a vast
quantity of *** and then pick a fight with the first person who
smiles at them.

-------------------
T. P. Jordan,
Research Assistant,
Networks Research Group,
De Montfort University
Leicester