I totally understand why John L Sullivan drank a quart of gin before his fights.

I totally understand why John L Sullivan drank a quart of gin before his fights.

Post by omnipoten.. » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:18:54


He did it to summon help from the universe. When he drank the gin it have him "qi". Being drunk created a holy state of mind in him and helped him to see and think clearly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi

 
 
 

I totally understand why John L Sullivan drank a quart of gin before his fights.

Post by DCI » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 02:21:30

Quote:

> He did it to summon help from the universe. When he drank the gin it have him "qi". Being drunk created a holy state of mind in him and helped him to see and think clearly.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi

More wives' tale bullshit.

DCI

 
 
 

I totally understand why John L Sullivan drank a quart of gin before his fights.

Post by Emanuel Ber » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 06:37:04

*Laughter!*

Did you ever try to fight, drunk? Or even arm wrestle at a bar? Your
strength is gone, not to speak of coordination and body control. It
does feel like you have a lot of stamina ("I can do this for hours")
but that's probably an illusion, especially if you've been smoking.

But one thing is true, *** makes you relaxed, body and mind. I
once fell off my bike while under the influence - and fell, smooth as
a jungle cat, down the pavement, without as much as a scratch (to my
great astonishment).

For sure, that kind of relaxation is beyond the notion of a relaxed
boxer.

I'm watching the Browner fight now - his rap entrance - the British
commentators are praising him as relaxed and confident, but - I guess
I'm old fashioned here - isn't that the "center of attention" yearning
of a kid, rather than confidence?

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
Norge, s?ker jobb: http://SportToday.org/~embe8573/brev_no.pdf
computer projects: http://SportToday.org/~embe8573
internet activity: http://SportToday.org/

 
 
 

I totally understand why John L Sullivan drank a quart of gin before his fights.

Post by Emanuel Ber » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 07:03:45

Another one sided affair for Broner (not "Browner" as I wrote). Are
they hesitant to put him with another guy his skill level, because
they want to suck the candy until even later, *or* is there no such
guys? No, there must be.
--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
Norge, s?ker jobb: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/brev_no.pdf
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
internet activity: http://home.student.uu.se/embe8573
 
 
 

I totally understand why John L Sullivan drank a quart of gin before his fights.

Post by skinnystev » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 07:07:16


Quote:

>He did it to summon help from the universe. When he drank the gin it have him "qi". Being drunk created a holy state of mind in him and helped him to see and think clearly.

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi

it took alot more than just one quart of gin  to get John L. Sullivan
drunk
 
 
 

I totally understand why John L Sullivan drank a quart of gin before his fights.

Post by D » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:00:48

Haven't you ever heard the saying "God watches over fools and drunks"?
Personally I have fought fabulously drunk (when I was young I'm 53 now)
because I was unencumbered by excessive caution, and fearful hesitation
and I had supreme confidence (Beer Balls). During those fights it seemed
to me as if the battle was slowed down (like time it self had slowed)
and I could make decisions on what to do slowly and carefully. I did
feel as if God was watching over me.
 
 
 

I totally understand why John L Sullivan drank a quart of gin before his fights.

Post by Emanuel Ber » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:20:23

Quote:

> Haven't you ever heard the saying "God watches over fools and
> drunks"?  Personally I have fought fabulously drunk (when I was
> young I'm 53 now) because I was unencumbered by excessive caution,
> and fearful hesitation and I had supreme confidence (Beer
> Balls). During those fights it seemed to me as if the battle was
> slowed down (like time it self had slowed) and I could make
> decisions on what to do slowly and carefully. I did feel as if God
> was watching over me.

Haha, cool story! Well, *** can do all those things, it's just my
experience that you lose everything else in the bargain, like power,
reflexes, balance, coordination, common sense, vision, etc. But I
guess, if you could drink just as much as to get relaxed, fearless,
and confident, but not loosing any of those things, it *might* make
sense. But how much would that be - one glass of wine?

Of course, I've heard of Latino boxers smoking weed and fight. Smoking
(in general) will reduce your stamina - but, for example, the Swedish
handball team used to play tough games with Yugoslavia in the 70s and
80s, and the players always tell stories how much those guys smoked
and drank (the Swedes obviously not being any purists
themselves). Anyway, as for weed, I have even less understanding for
that because the last thing I'd like to do then is to beat someone up.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
Norge, s?ker jobb: http://SportToday.org/~embe8573/brev_no.pdf
computer projects: http://SportToday.org/~embe8573
internet activity: http://SportToday.org/

 
 
 

I totally understand why John L Sullivan drank a quart of gin before his fights.

Post by DCI » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:22:09

Quote:


> > Haven't you ever heard the saying "God watches over fools and

> > drunks"?  Personally I have fought fabulously drunk (when I was

> > young I'm 53 now) because I was unencumbered by excessive caution,

> > and fearful hesitation and I had supreme confidence (Beer

> > Balls). During those fights it seemed to me as if the battle was

> > slowed down (like time it self had slowed) and I could make

> > decisions on what to do slowly and carefully. I did feel as if God

> > was watching over me.

> Haha, cool story! Well, *** can do all those things, it's just my

> experience that you lose everything else in the bargain, like power,

> reflexes, balance, coordination, common sense, vision, etc. But I

> guess, if you could drink just as much as to get relaxed, fearless,

> and confident, but not loosing any of those things, it *might* make

> sense. But how much would that be - one glass of wine?

> Of course, I've heard of Latino boxers smoking weed and fight. Smoking

> (in general) will reduce your stamina - but, for example, the Swedish

> handball team used to play tough games with Yugoslavia in the 70s and

> 80s, and the players always tell stories how much those guys smoked

> and drank (the Swedes obviously not being any purists

> themselves). Anyway, as for weed, I have even less understanding for

> that because the last thing I'd like to do then is to beat someone up.

> --

> Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)

> Norge, s?ker jobb: http://SportToday.org/~embe8573/brev_no.pdf

> computer projects: http://SportToday.org/~embe8573

> internet activity: http://SportToday.org/

You might have been able to tell something was amiss, especially, when the fighter would step into the ring with a bag full of munchies and was giggling a lot.

DCI

 
 
 

I totally understand why John L Sullivan drank a quart of gin before his fights.

Post by DCI » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:24:24

Quote:



> >He did it to summon help from the universe. When he drank the gin it have him "qi". Being drunk created a holy state of mind in him and helped him to see and think clearly.

> >http://SportToday.org/

> it took alot more than just one quart of gin  to get John L. Sullivan

> drunk

Sullivan was not a super human. Post like the one above that foist off on fans the bullshit notion of how much *** Sullivan could hold and still fight.

DCI