Marciano-Walcott I

Marciano-Walcott I

Post by The Sanity Cruze » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00


On TNF's a couple of nights ago, they showed the ending of the first
Marciano-Walcott fight.  Did anyone else notice 'The Rock' his Jersey
Joe while Joe was on the canvas.  Maybe Rocky should have been
disqualified.

                        The Sanity Cruzer

 
 
 

Marciano-Walcott I

Post by The Sanity Cruze » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> On TNF's a couple of nights ago, they showed the ending of the first
> Marciano-Walcott fight.  Did anyone else notice 'The Rock' HIT Jersey
> Joe while Joe was on the canvas.  Maybe Rocky should have been
> disqualified.

>                         The Sanity Cruzer


 
 
 

Marciano-Walcott I

Post by Wes Wildc » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>On TNF's a couple of nights ago, they showed the ending of the first
>Marciano-Walcott fight.  Did anyone else notice 'The Rock' his Jersey
>Joe while Joe was on the canvas.  Maybe Rocky should have been
>disqualified.

>                        The Sanity Cruzer

 Good point.  But this was the 50's, maybe things were a little
different back then.  Rocky was a dirty fighter, not delibrately,
he was just overly aggressive.  Other fighters from the 50's who
were considered dirty were champs, Sandy Saddler, Randy Turpin and
Gene Fullmer.

 
 
 

Marciano-Walcott I

Post by Mike » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Maybe Rocky should have been
> >disqualified.

> >                        The Sanity Cruzer

>  Good point.  But this was the 50's, maybe things were a little
> different back then.

Yeah, maybe the Rock should have been DQ'd (just like Roy Jones was
recently) but, MAN, can you believe the refereeing back then? The KOs they
showed on that highlight reel were absolutely brutal! There was one
sequence - I think it was Ike Williams DESTROYING Beau Jack - where the guy
actually stopped punching and looked over at the ref and the ref doesn't
move, just lets the guy pour on punch after punch against Beau Jack
absolutely defenceless on the ropes. Brutal. There were a couple like that
- the referee not intervening until a guy has been slammed helplessly on
the ropes for many, many unnecesarry punches. Looks like you'd have to take
a sledge hammer to a guy back then before a referree would DQ you. Of
course, referees can go too far the other way now, ie McCall-Lewis 1.

mike

 
 
 

Marciano-Walcott I

Post by FB » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> On TNF's a couple of nights ago, they showed the ending of the first
> Marciano-Walcott fight.  Did anyone else notice 'The Rock' his Jersey
> Joe while Joe was on the canvas.  Maybe Rocky should have been
> disqualified.

>                         The Sanity Cruzer

I've watched that one a lot of times over the years, and it looks like
Marciano had already started to hook before he realized Walcott was on
his knees.  This is evidenced in the fact that the hook was only about
1/4 power.  In other words, I think he bailed out of the punch halfway
into it, after realizing Walcott was down.  There was no body behind it,
which is how Marciano always punched when he meant it.
 
 
 

Marciano-Walcott I

Post by The Sanity Cruze » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


> > On TNF's a couple of nights ago, they showed the ending of the first
> > Marciano-Walcott fight.  Did anyone else notice 'The Rock' his Jersey
> > Joe while Joe was on the canvas.  Maybe Rocky should have been
> > disqualified.

> >                         The Sanity Cruzer

> I've watched that one a lot of times over the years, and it looks like
> Marciano had already started to hook before he realized Walcott was on
> his knees.

I wouldn't have posted the above if I didn't think it was a flagrant
foul.

Quote:
>  This is evidenced in the fact that the hook was only about
> 1/4 power.

I don't know how it felt, but like you say, it was not full power.  But
IMO, that he held up on the punch has nothing to do with how late it
was.

Quote:
>  In other words, I think he bailed out of the punch halfway
> into it, after realizing Walcott was down.

Then Marciano was slow in mind, because Walcott was way down.

Quote:
>  There was no body behind it,
> which is how Marciano always punched when he meant it.

Irrelevant.  I didn't say The Rock hit Jersey Joe hard, I said he hit
him late.  The two are unrelated.

                            The Sanity Cruzer

 
 
 

Marciano-Walcott I

Post by d.. » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Sat, 07 Jun 1997 01:23:11 -0700, FB

Quote:


>> On TNF's a couple of nights ago, they showed the ending of the first
>> Marciano-Walcott fight.  Did anyone else notice 'The Rock' his Jersey
>> Joe while Joe was on the canvas.  Maybe Rocky should have been
>> disqualified.

>>                         The Sanity Cruzer

>I've watched that one a lot of times over the years, and it looks like
>Marciano had already started to hook before he realized Walcott was on
>his knees.  This is evidenced in the fact that the hook was only about
>1/4 power.  In other words, I think he bailed out of the punch halfway
>into it, after realizing Walcott was down.  There was no body behind it,
>which is how Marciano always punched when he meant it.

                You read it correctly. The punch was
                pulled.

                DCI

 
 
 

Marciano-Walcott I

Post by LBelkn » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I think the Jones disqualification has made people look for late punches.
There
was never any mention after the fight of any foul by Marciano from the
writers or
Walcott camp.  The fact is that Walcott was hit by one of the great right
hands of
all time and was finished by the right hand.  

 
 
 

Marciano-Walcott I

Post by Larry Rober » Mon, 16 Jun 1997 04:00:00



: >
: > On TNF's a couple of nights ago, they showed the ending of the first
: > Marciano-Walcott fight.  Did anyone else notice 'The Rock' HIT Jersey
: > Joe while Joe was on the canvas.  Maybe Rocky should have been
: > disqualified.
: >
: >                         The Sanity Cruzer

: Disqualify an undefeated Italian heavyweight? Silly boy.....Somebody
: give me some of whatever De Cruz is drinkin' willya?