Delahoya shows heart!

Delahoya shows heart!

Post by boxingnu » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00


Delahoya showed his pride by almost knocking out Ike Quartey in the
decisive 12th round. He ran out of gas however and in my opinion should
have scored only a draw. The Japanese judge was way off in giving
Delahoya such a wide margin as 116-112. Quartey was the looser and more
effective fighter through the middle rounds. Delahoya started back in
the tenth and of course finished big in the 12th. Delahoya would be
crazy to go for a rematch unless he absolutely has to. Oscar has earned
a few easy matches after this one. Lets give him his due guys. He's
fought the tough guy you all wanted and he's shown the courage of a
Sugar Ray Leonard. I'll call him champ.

Boxingnut

 
 
 

Delahoya shows heart!

Post by Tod » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00


spake:

Quote:
>Delahoya showed his pride by almost knocking out Ike Quartey in the
>decisive 12th round. He ran out of gas however and in my opinion should
>have scored only a draw. The Japanese judge was way off in giving
>Delahoya such a wide margin as 116-112. Quartey was the looser and more
>effective fighter through the middle rounds. Delahoya started back in
>the tenth and of course finished big in the 12th. Delahoya would be
>crazy to go for a rematch unless he absolutely has to. Oscar has earned
>a few easy matches after this one. Lets give him his due guys. He's
>fought the tough guy you all wanted and he's shown the courage of a
>Sugar Ray Leonard. I'll call him champ.

>Boxingnut

I would like to see people post their scores, so we can see where the
disparity lies.  I gave Oscar the first four rounds, and it sounds
like that's where some of the disagreement is.  

Todd

 
 
 

Delahoya shows heart!

Post by BoxMuh » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:
>He's
>fought the tough guy you all wanted and he's shown the courage of a
>Sugar Ray Leonard. I'll call him champ.

      Yes, except he lost the fight tonight.

       Boxmuhammad

 
 
 

Delahoya shows heart!

Post by FightFan » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Date: Sun, Feb 14, 1999 00:55 EST

>Delahoya showed his pride by almost knocking out Ike Quartey in the
>decisive 12th round.

the 12th round wasn't decisive, as lampley pointed out at the end.

and i liked how de la hoya looked like a little *** that was going to cry
during the middle rounds, when quartey showed his *** and oscar wasn't
doing shit......too bad quartey decided to play with oscar rather than knock
the little *** out.....quartey made a mistake there which cost him the fight.

Quote:
> He ran out of gas however and in my opinion should
>have scored only a draw.

i agree, although i could see it going for quartey. but a draw would've been
fine.

Quote:
> The Japanese judge was way off in giving
>Delahoya such a wide margin as 116-112. Quartey was the looser and more
>effective fighter through the middle rounds. Delahoya started back in
>the tenth and of course finished big in the 12th. Delahoya would be
>crazy to go for a rematch unless he absolutely has to.

he wouldn't be crazy, it would be showing the true heart of a warrior if he
gave quartey a rematch....but oscar doesn't have it.

Quote:
> Oscar has earned
>a few easy matches after this one. Lets give him his due guys.

he fought enough easy matches before this fight, i don't feel like watching
oscar fight 5 more patrick charpentiers!

Quote:
> He's
>fought the tough guy you all wanted and he's shown the courage of a
>Sugar Ray Leonard. I'll call him champ.

>Boxingnut

i'll call him the marketing tool who avoids big punchers (aside from tonight),
and avoids tough competition for the most part....trying to be an all-time
great? nah, he's trying to rake in the cash.
 
 
 

Delahoya shows heart!

Post by Tod » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00


spake:

Quote:
>the 12th round wasn't decisive, as lampley pointed out at the end.

What 12th round were you and Lampley watching?  It certainly wasn't
the same one I saw.

Todd

 
 
 

Delahoya shows heart!

Post by FightFan » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Date: Sun, Feb 14, 1999 03:16 EST


>spake:

>>the 12th round wasn't decisive, as lampley pointed out at the end.

>What 12th round were you and Lampley watching?  It certainly wasn't
>the same one I saw.

>Todd

and what post were you reading? it certainly wasn't the one i posted.

what was meant by that comment was the final round didn't have a deciding
factor in the scorecards. the two judges who scored it in favor of oscar had
him winning the fight regardless of the 12th round (well, unless quartey
would've knocked oscar down 1-2 times and won the round).

 
 
 

Delahoya shows heart!

Post by Paul Dalrympl » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>>Delahoya showed his pride by almost knocking out Ike Quartey in the
>>decisive 12th round. He ran out of gas however and in my opinion should
>>have scored only a draw. The Japanese judge was way off in giving
>>Delahoya such a wide margin as 116-112. Quartey was the looser and more
>>effective fighter through the middle rounds. Delahoya started back in
>>the tenth and of course finished big in the 12th. Delahoya would be
>>crazy to go for a rematch unless he absolutely has to. Oscar has earned
>>a few easy matches after this one. Lets give him his due guys. He's
>>fought the tough guy you all wanted and he's shown the courage of a
>>Sugar Ray Leonard. I'll call him champ.

Todd replied:

Quote:
>I would like to see people post their scores, so we can see where the
>disparity lies.  I gave Oscar the first four rounds, and it sounds
>like that's where some of the disagreement is.

     You gave Oscar the first 4 rounds? Even the second?
 
 
 

Delahoya shows heart!

Post by Mike Haug » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>I would like to see people post their scores, so we can see where the
>disparity lies.  I gave Oscar the first four rounds, and it sounds
>like that's where some of the disagreement is.  

>Todd

My scorecard:

Rd 1    DLH     10-9
Rd 2    IQ      10-9
Rd 3    DLH     10-9
Rd 4    DLH     10-9
Rd 5    IQ      10-9
Rd 6    IQ      10-9
Rd 7    IQ      10-9
Rd 8    IQ      10-9
Rd 9    IQ      10-9
Rd 10   IQ      10-9
Rd 11   IQ      10-9
Rd 12   DLH     10-7

Quartey wins 114-112

I suppose some of the closer rounds -- as always -- could have gone
either way.  But I didn't like how ODLH went into a semi-shell after
suffering his KD in the 6th.  He forgot how his jab was working for
him and tried to hurt IQ with one or two punch counters.

I gave ODLH the 12th 10-7 because he laid a 1:45 second total ***
*** on Quartey.

        -mwh

 
 
 

Delahoya shows heart!

Post by Dieg » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:


> >I would like to see people post their scores, so we can see where the
> >disparity lies.  I gave Oscar the first four rounds, and it sounds
> >like that's where some of the disagreement is.

> >Todd

> My scorecard:

> Rd 1    DLH     10-9
> Rd 2    IQ      10-9
> Rd 3    DLH     10-9
> Rd 4    DLH     10-9
> Rd 5    IQ      10-9
> Rd 6    IQ      10-9
> Rd 7    IQ      10-9
> Rd 8    IQ      10-9
> Rd 9    IQ      10-9
> Rd 10   IQ      10-9
> Rd 11   IQ      10-9
> Rd 12   DLH     10-7

> Quartey wins 114-112

I had DLH losing by one point going into the last round, but I think
that he won it there (10-8 or 10-7).  BTW, there's no way that Quartey
won all of the rounds from 5 to 11.

Quote:
> I suppose some of the closer rounds -- as always -- could have gone
> either way.  But I didn't like how ODLH went into a semi-shell after
> suffering his KD in the 6th.  He forgot how his jab was working for
> him and tried to hurt IQ with one or two punch counters.

> I gave ODLH the 12th 10-7 because he laid a 1:45 second total ***
> *** on Quartey.

>         -mwh

--
___________________________________________________________

The Tale of the Tape: [formerly] The Best Source of Boxing on the Web.
At: http://SportToday.org/
___________________________________________________________

 
 
 

Delahoya shows heart!

Post by Matt Tege » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:


> spake:

> >Delahoya showed his pride by almost knocking out Ike Quartey in the
> >decisive 12th round. He ran out of gas however and in my opinion should
> >have scored only a draw. The Japanese judge was way off in giving
> >Delahoya such a wide margin as 116-112. Quartey was the looser and more
> >effective fighter through the middle rounds. Delahoya started back in
> >the tenth and of course finished big in the 12th. Delahoya would be
> >crazy to go for a rematch unless he absolutely has to. Oscar has earned
> >a few easy matches after this one. Lets give him his due guys. He's
> >fought the tough guy you all wanted and he's shown the courage of a
> >Sugar Ray Leonard. I'll call him champ.

> >Boxingnut

> I would like to see people post their scores, so we can see where the
> disparity lies.  I gave Oscar the first four rounds, and it sounds
> like that's where some of the disagreement is.

> Todd

116-113 Quartey the first time.
114-113 Quartey the second time watching the fight.

Matt Tegen

 
 
 

Delahoya shows heart!

Post by ree.. » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:



> > spake:

> > >Delahoya showed his pride by almost knocking out Ike Quartey in the
> > >decisive 12th round. He ran out of gas however and in my opinion should
> > >have scored only a draw. The Japanese judge was way off in giving
> > >Delahoya such a wide margin as 116-112. Quartey was the looser and more
> > >effective fighter through the middle rounds. Delahoya started back in
> > >the tenth and of course finished big in the 12th. Delahoya would be
> > >crazy to go for a rematch unless he absolutely has to. Oscar has earned
> > >a few easy matches after this one. Lets give him his due guys. He's
> > >fought the tough guy you all wanted and he's shown the courage of a
> > >Sugar Ray Leonard. I'll call him champ.

> > >Boxingnut

> > I would like to see people post their scores, so we can see where the
> > disparity lies.  I gave Oscar the first four rounds, and it sounds
> > like that's where some of the disagreement is.

> > Todd

> 116-113 Quartey the first time.
> 114-113 Quartey the second time watching the fight.

> Matt Tegen

Matt,

I too went back to see the fight 4 times and each time I came out with
different scores. To me this shows that the fight could have gone either
way and there is no controversy on who won.

Fred