Jones' Brain

Jones' Brain

Post by The Sanity Cruze » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 01:00:23


For a guy who has been overtly sensitive to preserving his health for life
after boxing, RJJ seems to be suddenly abandoning that concern as he speeds
to what should be the end of his career.  Really, how many fighters have you
ever seen ko'd as emphatically as was Jones in his last (and what should
have remained his last) fight with Glen Johnson?  For a fighter who seemed
to have been affected by the knockout of and injury to Gerald McClellan, Roy
Jones seems to be uncharacteristically putting himself into harm's way.

Because this is boxing, I will not be completely surprised by any scenario
which emerges in Jones-Tarver III.  We all now know that Jones can be
knocked cold, so that remains a distinct possibility.  He also can be
out-muscled and kept against the ropes.  What we don't know, IMO, is whether
Roy can muster the skills he once so deftly displayed, similar to how he
looked in the first round of his rematch with Antonio Tarver, just before
the lights went out for Roy.  Also, while Tarver has been 'up' for Jones in
the past, will the fact that he one-punched Jones into oblivion and watched
Glen Johnson do the same bring have Tarver subconsciously bring about
complacency on Tarver's part?  It wouldn't be the first time Antonio has
fought at less than his full ability.  I think the real question will be
whether Jones can take a punch and whether Jones can recapture some of the
old Roy or is he simply an old Roy?

 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by homem-da-natur.. » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 01:30:09

Quote:

> Because this is boxing, I will not be completely surprised by any scenario
> which emerges in Jones-Tarver III.  We all now know that Jones can be
> knocked cold, so that remains a distinct possibility.  He also can be
> out-muscled and kept against the ropes.  What we don't know, IMO, is whether
> Roy can muster the skills he once so deftly displayed, similar to how he
> looked in the first round of his rematch with Antonio Tarver, just before
> the lights went out for Roy.  Also, while Tarver has been 'up' for Jones in
> the past, will the fact that he one-punched Jones into oblivion and watched
> Glen Johnson do the same bring have Tarver subconsciously bring about
> complacency on Tarver's part?  It wouldn't be the first time Antonio has
> fought at less than his full ability.  I think the real question will be
> whether Jones can take a punch and whether Jones can recapture some of the
> old Roy or is he simply an old Roy?

I hope Roy wins, retires and shuts up. I think Tarver is massively
overrated by everybody including Pablo and I'd hate to see this chump
build his legacy further by beating a clearly SHOT Roy Jones Jr.

The media is already buzzing about Tarver as the greatest
lightheavyweight of his era. GIVE ME A ***ING BREAK the guy isn't a
great fighter at all.

Andr

 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by pabl » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 02:30:56


Quote:
> I hope Roy wins, retires and shuts up. I think Tarver is massively
> overrated by everybody including Pablo ...

All I recall saying about Tarver is that tall heavyweights with good reach
and a good KO punch are very difficult opponents. Tarver is kind of a poor
man's version of Bob Foster. Tarver has also been involved in what I'd
recall to be the worst light heavyweight fight of all time - his natural
stride is a low activity rate and keeping things in the distance, which does
not make for a lot of e***ment. If he goes and fights Jones with the
complacent attitude that he'll land a big one eventually he's likely to be
outpointed, because Jones is still too good for that, shot or not.

Tarver a *great* light heavyweight? Crap.

...pablo

 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by 223re » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 06:10:12

Quote:

>  I think the real question will be  whether Jones can take a punch

Already answered.
 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by homem-da-natur.. » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 06:32:24

Quote:
>From the comfort of his French wine cellar the Hispanic Richard Gere



> > I hope Roy wins, retires and shuts up. I think Tarver is massively
> > overrated by everybody including Pablo ...

> All I recall saying about Tarver is that tall heavyweights with good reach
> and a good KO punch are very difficult opponents. Tarver is kind of a poor
> man's version of Bob Foster. Tarver has also been involved in what I'd
> recall to be the worst light heavyweight fight of all time - his natural
> stride is a low activity rate and keeping things in the distance, which does
> not make for a lot of e***ment. If he goes and fights Jones with the
> complacent attitude that he'll land a big one eventually he's likely to be
> outpointed, because Jones is still too good for that, shot or not.

I think Roy will either outpoint him in a boring fight or he'll be
leading big and suddenly get caught by a telegraphed Tarver left hook
who IMO is still one of the most uncordinated lightheavies I've ever
seen, he punches like a beached octopuss.

Maybe Roy will KO him into Merchant's lap forcing Larry to have a
stroke or at least quit drinking grandpappy's cough syrup.

Hey, the Red Sox won the World Series, everything else is of little
importance.

Andr

 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by mwhaugh » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:09:32

Quote:

> For a guy who has been overtly sensitive to preserving his health for life
> after boxing, RJJ seems to be suddenly abandoning that concern as he speeds
> to what should be the end of his career.  Really, how many fighters have you
> ever seen ko'd as emphatically as was Jones in his last (and what should
> have remained his last) fight with Glen Johnson?  For a fighter who seemed
> to have been affected by the knockout of and injury to Gerald McClellan, Roy
> Jones seems to be uncharacteristically putting himself into harm's way.

Do you get the sense that he feels the need to compensate in some way
for a risk averse career?  I'm not trying to kick RJJ when he is down
here, but his sudden reversal in a risk taking *IS* the story of this
fight IMO.

And I hope we are underestimating how RJJ will react to being hit at
this point in time.  I do not get any kind of a good feeling for his
return to the ring after the Johnson KO.

Quote:
> Because this is boxing, I will not be completely surprised by any scenario
> which emerges in Jones-Tarver III.  We all now know that Jones can be
> knocked cold, so that remains a distinct possibility.  He also can be
> out-muscled and kept against the ropes.  What we don't know, IMO, is whether
> Roy can muster the skills he once so deftly displayed, similar to how he
> looked in the first round of his rematch with Antonio Tarver, just before
> the lights went out for Roy.  Also, while Tarver has been 'up' for Jones in
> the past, will the fact that he one-punched Jones into oblivion and watched
> Glen Johnson do the same bring have Tarver subconsciously bring about
> complacency on Tarver's part?  It wouldn't be the first time Antonio has
> fought at less than his full ability.  I think the real question will be
> whether Jones can take a punch and whether Jones can recapture some of the
> old Roy or is he simply an old Roy?

RJJ is definitely on the down side.  Tarver has been the picture of the
uneven LHW division of the last 20 years.

I'm guessing that RJJ's chin will not get any better than shown in his
last two fights.  And I'm also guessing that Tarver won't be much worse
than he was in the Johnson rematch.  I'd think that doesn't spell out
as much hope for RJJ as he would like.

And you know I picked that Peter/Klitchko fight so well last weekend.
;-)

     -mwh

 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by Attila the Hu » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:48:28

People just can't understand that RJJ was never as invincible as his
fans made him out to be. He would've always had problems with Tarver at

any age.

I don't buy this thing that RJJ suddenly got "old" after the Ruiz
fight. It just doesn't make that much sense.
RJJ is physically not much different than the Ruiz fight; he still has
more hand speed and skills than 99% of fighters in the LH division.
That being said, I don't think he will do that bad against Tarver if he

makes some adjustments. Its now tougher for RJJ because his confidence
is suspect and everyone knows he can't
recover from a good punch.

 I'm giving him credit for taking this fight, but its ironic that RJJ
took few risks went everything went his way.

 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by The Sanity Cruze » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:46:52


Quote:
> And you know I picked that Peter/Klitchko fight so well last weekend.
> ;-)

I don't remember your pick last week.  I was too busy reading my own, again
and again. 8-)
 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by mwhaugh » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:32:11

Quote:

> People just can't understand that RJJ was never as invincible as his
> fans made him out to be. He would've always had problems with Tarver at

> any age.

> I don't buy this thing that RJJ suddenly got "old" after the Ruiz
> fight. It just doesn't make that much sense.
> RJJ is physically not much different than the Ruiz fight; he still has
> more hand speed and skills than 99% of fighters in the LH division.
> That being said, I don't think he will do that bad against Tarver if he

> makes some adjustments. Its now tougher for RJJ because his confidence
> is suspect and everyone knows he can't
> recover from a good punch.

I have made the same argument.  RJJ frustrated me because he could have
done a lot of special things in the sport.  He too often looked to find
the lowest level to compete against and then expected the accolades of
Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler and Muhammad Ali
combined.

As for his confidence and ability to recover from a punch:  I suspected
for a long time that RJJ knew something that we were not permitted to
see in the ring.  I thought there must be better reason for his
ultra-cautious start to his career and limited risks throughout.

Quote:
>  I'm giving him credit for taking this fight, but its ironic that RJJ
> took few risks went everything went his way.

I thought of RJJ as a selfish fighter who took advantage of sacrifices
of fighters before him.  Fighters that paved the way with ***, sweat
and tears for his purses.  With RJJ's efforts, I didn't see him
bringing many new fans to the sport.

As for Tarver/RJJ III, I give RJJ credit for taking the fight also.  I
just wish that he had taken reasonable risks in the sport when the fans
did not have to be so concerned with him permanently injuring himself
in the ring.  

     -mwh

 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by mwhaugh » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:34:10

Quote:



> > And you know I picked that Peter/Klitchko fight so well last weekend.
> > ;-)

> I don't remember your pick last week.  I was too busy reading my own, again
> and again. 8-)

If I had not picked the Cotto fight, dead on, I would have felt a lot
worse on my picking Peter to defeat Klit.  ;-)

     -mwh

 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by The Sanity Cruze » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:57:31


Quote:



>> > And you know I picked that Peter/Klitchko fight so well last weekend.
>> > ;-)

>> I don't remember your pick last week.  I was too busy reading my own,
>> again
>> and again. 8-)

> If I had not picked the Cotto fight, dead on, I would have felt a lot
> worse on my picking Peter to defeat Klit.  ;-)

That's what I always hated about the VanPred contest; people who picked
fights dead on.
 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by SkippyP » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:23:56

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:00:23 GMT, "The Sanity Cruzer"

Quote:
>For a guy who has been overtly sensitive to preserving his health for life
>after boxing, RJJ seems to be suddenly abandoning that concern as he speeds
>to what should be the end of his career.  Really, how many fighters have you
>ever seen ko'd as emphatically as was Jones in his last (and what should
>have remained his last) fight with Glen Johnson?  For a fighter who seemed
>to have been affected by the knockout of and injury to Gerald McClellan, Roy
>Jones seems to be uncharacteristically putting himself into harm's way.

>Because this is boxing, I will not be completely surprised by any scenario
>which emerges in Jones-Tarver III.  We all now know that Jones can be
>knocked cold, so that remains a distinct possibility.  He also can be
>out-muscled and kept against the ropes.  What we don't know, IMO, is whether
>Roy can muster the skills he once so deftly displayed, similar to how he
>looked in the first round of his rematch with Antonio Tarver, just before
>the lights went out for Roy.  Also, while Tarver has been 'up' for Jones in
>the past, will the fact that he one-punched Jones into oblivion and watched
>Glen Johnson do the same bring have Tarver subconsciously bring about
>complacency on Tarver's part?  It wouldn't be the first time Antonio has
>fought at less than his full ability.  I think the real question will be
>whether Jones can take a punch and whether Jones can recapture some of the
>old Roy or is he simply an old Roy?

I think we'll see the old Roy, in terms of style.  He's brought his
father back as his trainer and his father has noted some things that
have been missing or that Roy is doing wrong.  Tarver, to the best of
my knowledge, hasn't made any changes.  This will be an interesting
fight although I'm still not going to pay the PPV price to watch it.

Regards,
          ////
         (o o)
-oOO--(_)--OOo-

"Hubert Humphrey talks so fast that listening to him is like  
trying to read a Playboy with your wife turning the pages."  
--Barry Goldwater, 1964 Republican presidential nominee  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve

 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by DCI » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:30:06

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:23:56 -0400, SkippyPB

Quote:

>On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:00:23 GMT, "The Sanity Cruzer"

>>For a guy who has been overtly sensitive to preserving his health for life
>>after boxing, RJJ seems to be suddenly abandoning that concern as he speeds
>>to what should be the end of his career.  Really, how many fighters have you
>>ever seen ko'd as emphatically as was Jones in his last (and what should
>>have remained his last) fight with Glen Johnson?  For a fighter who seemed
>>to have been affected by the knockout of and injury to Gerald McClellan, Roy
>>Jones seems to be uncharacteristically putting himself into harm's way.

>>Because this is boxing, I will not be completely surprised by any scenario
>>which emerges in Jones-Tarver III.  We all now know that Jones can be
>>knocked cold, so that remains a distinct possibility.  He also can be
>>out-muscled and kept against the ropes.  What we don't know, IMO, is whether
>>Roy can muster the skills he once so deftly displayed, similar to how he
>>looked in the first round of his rematch with Antonio Tarver, just before
>>the lights went out for Roy.  Also, while Tarver has been 'up' for Jones in
>>the past, will the fact that he one-punched Jones into oblivion and watched
>>Glen Johnson do the same bring have Tarver subconsciously bring about
>>complacency on Tarver's part?  It wouldn't be the first time Antonio has
>>fought at less than his full ability.  I think the real question will be
>>whether Jones can take a punch and whether Jones can recapture some of the
>>old Roy or is he simply an old Roy?

>I think we'll see the old Roy, in terms of style.  He's brought his
>father back as his trainer and his father has noted some things that
>have been missing or that Roy is doing wrong.  Tarver, to the best of
>my knowledge, hasn't made any changes.  This will be an interesting
>fight although I'm still not going to pay the PPV price to watch it.

>Regards,
>          ////
>         (o o)
>-oOO--(_)--OOo-

>"Hubert Humphrey talks so fast that listening to him is like  
>trying to read a Playboy with your wife turning the pages."  
>--Barry Goldwater, 1964 Republican presidential nominee  
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>Remove nospam to email me.

>Steve

Both fighters rely on reaction. The one who has the best reactions
after the first bell rings will win the bout.

DCI

 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by DOMINIC DOMINI » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 05:20:12

im not your average boxing fan. but is it just me,or did anyoe else
notice when roy fought johnson he didnt even look like he was motivated
to fight that fight.that johnson k.o didnt prove nothing to me.
 
 
 

Jones' Brain

Post by DCI » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:11:59


Quote:

>im not your average boxing fan. but is it just me,or did anyoe else
>notice when roy fought johnson he didnt even look like he was motivated
>to fight that fight.that johnson k.o didnt prove nothing to me.

If it, the KO, were to prove anything to you, what would that be?

DCI