Walcott beats marciano

Walcott beats marciano

Post by Johnc33 » Thu, 26 Feb 2004 04:24:09


Walcott would of beat the great rocky marciano if they fought under todays 12
championship  fight round  limit,,,
 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by David Rennic » Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:09:27

No.  Marciano would have simply turned up the heat in Round 10.


Quote:
> Walcott would of beat the great rocky marciano if they fought under todays
12
> championship  fight round  limit,,,


 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by SuperCal » Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:02:24

marciano had very few knockdowns in round 10
in fact if I'm not mistaken walcott had more knockdowns than marciano in
round 10


Quote:
> No.  Marciano would have simply turned up the heat in Round 10.



> > Walcott would of beat the great rocky marciano if they fought under
todays
> 12
> > championship  fight round  limit,,,


 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by Nicholas » Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:15:09

Why are we having this conversation? Marciano was still undefeated in every
fight he had past the 10th round and had more Knockdowns then Walcott
period.  All this when they fought more then twelve rounds too. ....shrugs
head

-Nick


Quote:
> marciano had very few knockdowns in round 10
> in fact if I'm not mistaken walcott had more knockdowns than marciano in
> round 10



> > No.  Marciano would have simply turned up the heat in Round 10.



> > > Walcott would of beat the great rocky marciano if they fought under
> todays
> > 12
> > > championship  fight round  limit,,,

 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by the Nay Say » Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:31:06

Quote:

> Walcott would of beat the great rocky marciano if they fought under todays 12
> championship  fight round  limit,,,

Walcott would have beat Marciano if he had not been 69 years ole' when
they fought...

the Nay Sayer

 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by Johnc33 » Fri, 27 Feb 2004 02:40:11

the fact remains,walcoot would of one the fight,he waswinning in the 10th
round, and a lucky punch by marciano helped him pull it out,,,,,
 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by Bay Way 415 » Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:29:06

Quote:

> Why are we having this conversation? Marciano was still undefeated in every
> fight he had past the 10th round and had more Knockdowns then Walcott
> period.  All this when they fought more then twelve rounds too. ....shrugs
> head

> -Nick



> > marciano had very few knockdowns in round 10
> > in fact if I'm not mistaken walcott had more knockdowns than marciano in
> > round 10



> > > No.  Marciano would have simply turned up the heat in Round 10.



> > > > Walcott would of beat the great rocky marciano if they fought under
>  todays
>  12
> > > > championship  fight round  limit,,,

Can we agree that Jersey Joe probably would have won had he been close to his prime?

STRATEGY

 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by SuperCal » Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:02:17




Quote:
> > Why are we having this conversation? Marciano was still undefeated in
every
> > fight he had past the 10th round and had more Knockdowns then Walcott
> > period.  All this when they fought more then twelve rounds too.
....shrugs
> > head

> > -Nick



> > > marciano had very few knockdowns in round 10
> > > in fact if I'm not mistaken walcott had more knockdowns than marciano
in
> > > round 10



> > > > No.  Marciano would have simply turned up the heat in Round 10.



> > > > > Walcott would of beat the great rocky marciano if they fought
under
> >  todays
> >  12
> > > > > championship  fight round  limit,,,

> Can we agree that Jersey Joe probably would have won had he been close to

his prime?

yes we would all agree that, its beyond dispute

 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by Nicholas » Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:14:09

No way. Few things you are missing that Rocky was complaining that he
couldn't see more then half the fight. Whether it was something on Walcotts
gloves or placed on his face from his team he had a very bad reaction
causing him to have a difficult time dealing with his vision. Next see how
Rocky answered the skeptics in their rematch 8 months later. I wish Beardon
was around to help answer these questions. Anyone know how he is doing?

-Nick




Quote:
> > Why are we having this conversation? Marciano was still undefeated in
every
> > fight he had past the 10th round and had more Knockdowns then Walcott
> > period.  All this when they fought more then twelve rounds too.
....shrugs
> > head

> > -Nick



> > > marciano had very few knockdowns in round 10
> > > in fact if I'm not mistaken walcott had more knockdowns than marciano
in
> > > round 10



> > > > No.  Marciano would have simply turned up the heat in Round 10.



> > > > > Walcott would of beat the great rocky marciano if they fought
under
> >  todays
> >  12
> > > > > championship  fight round  limit,,,

> Can we agree that Jersey Joe probably would have won had he been close to
his prime?

> STRATEGY

 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by d.. » Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:38:32

Quote:

>No way. Few things you are missing that Rocky was complaining that he
>couldn't see more then half the fight. Whether it was something on Walcotts
>gloves or placed on his face from his team he had a very bad reaction
>causing him to have a difficult time dealing with his vision. Next see how
>Rocky answered the skeptics in their rematch 8 months later. I wish Beardon
>was around to help answer these questions. Anyone know how he is doing?

>-Nick

What's to answer? The Rock's record of 49 - 0
stands on its own merit. Let's not forget, Rocky
Marciano started out with little or no real fight
talent. His desire to be a winner was underscored
with a training regimen that was incredible. He
trained down to 185 to 189 for his fights without
losing strength or stamina. If a fighter used his
methods faithfully in preparing for a fight, the
results for many of today's heavies would be
remarkably improved. However, it is quite obvious
that many of today's heavies are just blown up
balloons and too often tire quickly. Put two of
them in the same rings and the results are like
watching an amateur dance contest.

By the way, Bobby Beardon (where are you, Bobby?)
not only defended his position in regards to
Marciano, he did it with facts, figures and a
touch of real class.

DCI

 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by Patrick Keho » Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:31:21

Just go to Bobby's website; it's ALL there...

For those who need to believe...

P

--
Patrick Kehoe

Quote:

> >No way. Few things you are missing that Rocky was complaining that he
> >couldn't see more then half the fight. Whether it was something on
Walcotts
> >gloves or placed on his face from his team he had a very bad reaction
> >causing him to have a difficult time dealing with his vision. Next see
how
> >Rocky answered the skeptics in their rematch 8 months later. I wish
Beardon
> >was around to help answer these questions. Anyone know how he is doing?

> >-Nick

> What's to answer? The Rock's record of 49 - 0
> stands on its own merit. Let's not forget, Rocky
> Marciano started out with little or no real fight
> talent. His desire to be a winner was underscored
> with a training regimen that was incredible. He
> trained down to 185 to 189 for his fights without
> losing strength or stamina. If a fighter used his
> methods faithfully in preparing for a fight, the
> results for many of today's heavies would be
> remarkably improved. However, it is quite obvious
> that many of today's heavies are just blown up
> balloons and too often tire quickly. Put two of
> them in the same rings and the results are like
> watching an amateur dance contest.

> By the way, Bobby Beardon (where are you, Bobby?)
> not only defended his position in regards to
> Marciano, he did it with facts, figures and a
> touch of real class.

> DCI

 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by d.. » Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:31:05

Quote:

>Just go to Bobby's website; it's ALL there...

>For those who need to believe...

>P

Thank you, Patrick. I just miss his presence in RSB.
He's is a very good writer and his opinions, like
several other posters, the regulars, provides much
to think about and learn facts and figures.

DCI

 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by Ivan Weis » Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:52:32


Quote:
> Just go to Bobby's website; it's ALL there...

> For those who need to believe...

Those of us who saw with their own eyes have no "need to believe."
--
Ivan Weiss     "Bush, Bush, where's my job?"
Vashon WA    Gone to feed your greedy mob!"
                   -- The Mugwump campaign, 2004
 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by Eric Tayl » Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:00:58



Quote:

>Can we agree that Jersey Joe probably would have won had he been close
>to his prime?

I'm a huge Jersey Joe fan, I love "cute" styles, he was incredibly
evasive, light on his feet, even beat Joe Louis (except on the cards),
in fact, Ali borrowed the "shuffle step" that he used in his career
from Jersey Joe, but one thing you must realize if you follow Joe's
career is that he got BETTER as he aged.

Very strange thing that.

You know, you don't see fighters get better as they age now because
boxing is so completely different now than back then.  Now, all boxers
start in amateur boxing, go to the Olympics, and turn pro if they get a
medal, train for a couple more years, fed a diet of club guys that are
supposed to teach them a trick or two (but never beat them), then
finally they get one or two tests of character before they fight a
championship fight, and then after this they pick and choose, trying to
milk out their belt for the most money.  All of your training is
done in the gym, not in the ring.

That's how it works now!

But. . . back then you didn't have money only at the top.  You didn't
have the "big payday cable" bout that everyone goes for.

Back then guys would fight in little joints on the corner where you
would get enough money to let you buy some steak for dinner.  There was
no television, so people needed to be entertained and local fights were
the entertainment.  Archie Moore for instance, might fight the same
opponent in a half dozen different cities, almost like a travelling
circus.

Now the pay wasn't as good, but you had more regular pay than you do
now.

Fighters back learned how to fight in the ring a lot more, than they do
now, because they had to fight often to make money.

Sometimes this meant a fighter would take a long time to develop, in
Walcott's case he wasn't his best until he was in his late 30's.

Walcott wasn't able to figure out how to bet Ezzard Charles until the
third time they fought in 1951, you know.

And in 1952 he fought Rocky for the first time.

He WAS at his peak, despite his age.  If you read A.J. Liebling's
account of the 1952 bout you'll see that Liebling felt from the 7th
round or so on it had already become clear that Rocky would win. . . it
was only a matter of time.

You know how it is when you throw your best punch, your best shot at
someone, and you start to turn around because you think your man is
going down, but he's not down, in fact he is unfazed, and eager for
more, and just won't stop, he just keeps coming at you, and coming at
you, like some kind of demented energizer bunny?  At some point. . .
you lose heart, and that's exactly what happened, when you fought
Marciano.  It has nothing to do with Walcott's age, he was at his
best, and everything to do with Marciano's ability to impose his will.

--- edt

 
 
 

Walcott beats marciano

Post by Patrick Keho » Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:19:08

I have to confess I am "messed" about what to think about Rocky Marciano...
though certainly in his own time he ruled, retiring undefeated... inspiring
a legend of those who forever swear to his greatness... and that's all any
of them can do...

P

--
Patrick Kehoe

Quote:


> >Just go to Bobby's website; it's ALL there...

> >For those who need to believe...

> >P

> Thank you, Patrick. I just miss his presence in RSB.
> He's is a very good writer and his opinions, like
> several other posters, the regulars, provides much
> to think about and learn facts and figures.

> DCI