Aim - One Eye or Two?

Aim - One Eye or Two?

Post by Rick Trank » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00


It seems to me that when aiming with two eyes open, I tend to hit the
ball to the left of were I think I am aiming.  I try closing one eye
and have a better percentage of hitting my mark.  I'm right-handed and
right-eyed (looking through a tiny hole and closing one eye to find
the *** eye).

What do most of you do?  Or don't you think about it?

In casually observing pool players. I never noticed anyone squinting
with one eye.

I have read that tilting the head with both eyes open can throw off
your aim and you should keep both eyes on a level plane - but I can't
seem to get the hang of it.

Rick

 
 
 

Aim - One Eye or Two?

Post by Loren A. Eve » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have read that tilting the head with both eyes open can throw off
> your aim and you should keep both eyes on a level plane - but I can't
> seem to get the hang of it.

Do you believe that Annie Oakly (or any of the wild West types) could
shoot a bottle flying through the air with a short barrel aimed from the
hip?  Try to make it your business to memorize the total appearance of a
shot.  Your brain will compensate for your idiosyncracies if you let it.

 
 
 

Aim - One Eye or Two?

Post by Daddy » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Rick;
Don't know that I have any brilliant answers for you on
this but will throw out the following:
IMHO, there are good players that play/aim mostly with a single,
*** eye and others that like to play/aim while using both
eyes and with their sticks in the vertical plane passing
through the middle of the heads.  There are also, apparently,
an infinite number of variations of those two styles.  
I believe it is possible, for a person, with practice, to change
their *** eye from right to left or vice versa.
Or, to make either eye "More ***".  If I were left-eye
*** and liked to play right handed, I'd give it a try.
It took me quite a while to realize that what I thought was
"straight ahead" was, in fact, aiming a bit to the right.  I
think I've fixed that.  It took a lot of work/practice.
My personal preference is-----chin down close to the stick and
in the same plane as my *** eye.  What is yours? Has it
always been the same?

--
/s/David(Daddy D)Nixon              
"One Pocket Heaven", Just Outside the Beltway    



 
 
 

Aim - One Eye or Two?

Post by Rick Trank » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00


Quote:
>Do you believe that Annie Oakly (or any of the wild West types) could
>shoot a bottle flying through the air with a short barrel aimed from the
>hip?  

Can you explain the analogy?  Using two eyes verus one.  I guess
you're saying she definitely aimed with one eye.

Quote:
>Try to make it your business to memorize the total appearance of a
>shot.  Your brain will compensate for your idiosyncracies if you let it.

It seems I need one eye to judge the exact aim points and two eyes to
see the spatial relationships on the table.

Are some people lucky enough to accomplish both with two eyes only?