Rules: Pocketing the 8 together with one of the opponent's balls

Rules: Pocketing the 8 together with one of the opponent's balls

Post by Florian Zeise » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 04:53:24


Hi everyone,

I am playing 8-ball in Germany, and we try to follow the official rules. So we had the following case and didn't agree on the result:

I pocketed all of my 7 balls and was now playing the 8. I hit the 8 first (!) and it dropped in the announced pocket, however before dropping in the pocket it touched of my opponent's balls with also fell in a pocket.

Was it a legal shot (meaning, I win)?
Or must no other ball drop together with the 8 in a pocket?

Thanks for your opinions? Any reference to offical rules (on the internet) would also be appreciated, since I only found rules which contradicted each other ;)

Thank you,
Florian

 
 
 

Rules: Pocketing the 8 together with one of the opponent's balls

Post by Ron Shepar » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 17:55:18



Quote:
> Hi everyone,

> I am playing 8-ball in Germany, and we try to follow the official rules. So
> we had the following case and didn't agree on the result:

> I pocketed all of my 7 balls and was now playing the 8. I hit the 8 first (!)
> and it dropped in the announced pocket, however before dropping in the pocket
> it touched of my opponent's balls with also fell in a pocket.

> Was it a legal shot (meaning, I win)?
> Or must no other ball drop together with the 8 in a pocket?

> Thanks for your opinions? Any reference to offical rules (on the internet)
> would also be appreciated, since I only found rules which contradicted each
> other ;)

> Thank you,
> Florian

With WPA rules it is a win.  You need to call the ball and the
pocket, and the details such as kisses or banks don't matter, just
ball and pocket.  Also, it doesn't matter if other object balls are
pocketed (except for the cue ball and the 8-ball out of turn, of
course).

$.02 -Ron Shepard

 
 
 

Rules: Pocketing the 8 together with one of the opponent's balls

Post by John Blac » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 06:32:53


Quote:

> Hi everyone,

> I am playing 8-ball in Germany, and we try to follow the official rules.
> So we had the following case and didn't agree on the result:

> I pocketed all of my 7 balls and was now playing the 8. I hit the 8 first (!)
> and it dropped in the announced pocket, however before dropping in the pocket
> it touched of my opponent's balls with also fell in a pocket.

> Was it a legal shot (meaning, I win)?
> Or must no other ball drop together with the 8 in a pocket?

You say you want "to follow the official rules" but there is not one set of rules that
everyone accepts as "official".  That said, under all of the rule sets I know (BCA, APA, IPT,
UPA, etc.) your shot was legal.  It would also be legal under all the rules pros play by when
they play 8-ball.  You win.

Quote:
> Thanks for your opinions? Any reference to offical rules (on the internet) would also be
> appreciated,

Just google any of those rule set names plus 8-ball.

Quote:
> since I only found rules which contradicted each other ;)

If you have found a set of rules on the internet that say that the 8-ball must be pocketed
without any other ball, I'd like to see it...

John Black

 
 
 

Rules: Pocketing the 8 together with one of the opponent's balls

Post by Florian Zeise » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 18:36:55

Quote:
> With WPA rules it is a win.  You need to call the ball and the
> pocket, and the details such as kisses or banks don't matter, just
> ball and pocket.  Also, it doesn't matter if other object balls are
> pocketed (except for the cue ball and the 8-ball out of turn, of
> course).

Thank you!
 
 
 

Rules: Pocketing the 8 together with one of the opponent's balls

Post by Mail Ma » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 05:03:20

Also not mentioned here is when NO official rule set is agreed upon prior to
beginning of play, the local "house rules" of the place you are playing take
precedence over all other rules.  One must always be aware of these "house
rules" wherever one plays -- they are different everywhere, even from house
to house in the same town!  That is why you are actually probably the LOSER
of the match!  There are a lot of places, even in the USA, that still
require that the 8-ball go into the pocket "clean," -- that is, without
touching ANY other ball.  This has NOTHING to do with so-called "official
rule sets."

By the way, I personally prefer the WPA and BCA rule sets, and I always try
to establish these rules UP FRONT with any opponent I don't know.  However,
I do play house rules if my opponent chooses this -- and, I make sure I
understand the nuances in EACH house before I begin play.

Mike Collier
Oak Harbor, WA


Quote:

>> Hi everyone,

>> I am playing 8-ball in Germany, and we try to follow the official rules.
>> So we had the following case and didn't agree on the result:

>> I pocketed all of my 7 balls and was now playing the 8. I hit the 8 first
>> (!)
>> and it dropped in the announced pocket, however before dropping in the
>> pocket
>> it touched of my opponent's balls with also fell in a pocket.

>> Was it a legal shot (meaning, I win)?
>> Or must no other ball drop together with the 8 in a pocket?

> You say you want "to follow the official rules" but there is not one set
> of rules that
> everyone accepts as "official".  That said, under all of the rule sets I
> know (BCA, APA, IPT,
> UPA, etc.) your shot was legal.  It would also be legal under all the
> rules pros play by when
> they play 8-ball.  You win.

>> Thanks for your opinions? Any reference to offical rules (on the
>> internet) would also be
>> appreciated,

> Just google any of those rule set names plus 8-ball.

>> since I only found rules which contradicted each other ;)

> If you have found a set of rules on the internet that say that the 8-ball
> must be pocketed
> without any other ball, I'd like to see it...

> John Black