One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by Gideon Forre » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 02:30:33


In counterpoint to Doug's story showing pool getting bad press, the
Snooker scene appears to have taken a step backwards (from the WPBSA
website, and as reported in the Canadian media):

PLAYERS FINED FOR FAILING *** TESTS

Essex professional Stuart Reardon has been fined 100 and ordered to
pay costs of 100 by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker
Association after failing a *** test during a Challenge Tour event
last December.

Reardon was found to be in breach of the Association’s Rules of
Discipline after a routine test taken during Challenge Tour Event Two
indicated the presence of Ecstasy. He has also forfeited the 200 Order
of Merit points he earned from the tournament.
Two other players – Leonard de Griffa from Manchester and
Christopher Flight from Ongar in Essex – were also fined 100
for failing *** test after disciplinary hearings held in Bristol
yesterday (Thursday).

A test provided by de Griffa during Challenge Tour Event two indicated
the presence of *** (***). He forfeits the 175 in prize
money plus 650 points earned from that tournament and has also been
ordered to pay 200 towards the costs of the enquiry.

A routine test taken from Flight during Open Tour Event Two in January
indicated the presence of *** (***) and Atenolol. Flight,
who did not earn any prize money or points from the event, was ordered
to pay 100 towards costs.

 
 
 

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by Gideon Forres » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 03:10:35


Quote:
> In counterpoint to Doug's story showing pool getting bad press

Err, I meant "good" press, but then you knew that.

Gideon

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

 
 
 

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by Ernie Varitimo » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 04:24:18

Why would any organization deem it appropriate to test for *** in any
billiards-related sport? I can't think of any drug that would give a player
an advantage, quite the opposite.

-erntheburn <-- never gets high before a match, waits till after

Quote:

> In counterpoint to Doug's story showing pool getting bad press, the
> Snooker scene appears to have taken a step backwards (from the WPBSA
> website, and as reported in the Canadian media):

> PLAYERS FINED FOR FAILING *** TESTS

> Essex professional Stuart Reardon has been fined 100 and ordered to
> pay costs of 100 by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker
> Association after failing a *** test during a Challenge Tour event
> last December.

> Reardon was found to be in breach of the Association&#8217;s Rules of
> Discipline after a routine test taken during Challenge Tour Event Two
> indicated the presence of Ecstasy. He has also forfeited the 200 Order
> of Merit points he earned from the tournament.
> Two other players &#8211; Leonard de Griffa from Manchester and
> Christopher Flight from Ongar in Essex &#8211; were also fined 100
> for failing *** test after disciplinary hearings held in Bristol
> yesterday (Thursday).

> A test provided by de Griffa during Challenge Tour Event two indicated
> the presence of *** (***). He forfeits the 175 in prize
> money plus 650 points earned from that tournament and has also been
> ordered to pay 200 towards the costs of the enquiry.

> A routine test taken from Flight during Open Tour Event Two in January
> indicated the presence of *** (***) and Atenolol. Flight,
> who did not earn any prize money or points from the event, was ordered
> to pay 100 towards costs.


 
 
 

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by Gregor » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 05:38:11


Quote:
> Why would any organization deem it appropriate to test for *** in
any
> billiards-related sport? I can't think of any drug that would give a
player
> an advantage, quite the opposite.

Beta blockers (like atenolol) keep you calm.

A good thing, IMO.

 
 
 

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by Fred Agni » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 22:17:27


Quote:
> Why would any organization deem it appropriate to test for *** in any
> billiards-related sport? I can't think of any drug that would give a
player
> an advantage, quite the opposite.

Beta blockers should be banned from billiard sports, IMO. They are banned I
believe for sports like Olympic Archery.

Fred

 
 
 

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by Keith » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:44:04

2 month ago, I would have said that drinking at all before or during an
important game was stupid.  However, the last few weeks, I have to admit, if
I had a rough start to a night, drinking a couple beers has allowed me to
get back into it.  It's calmed me down and let me play my game even if my
game was not working earlier in the night.  I don't like it, but if I don't
get a good start, I'll down a couple in the hopes it will let me back in.  I
think any drug that calms you down and lets you focus is going to serve the
same purpose.


Quote:
> Why would any organization deem it appropriate to test for *** in any
> billiards-related sport? I can't think of any drug that would give a
player
> an advantage, quite the opposite.

> -erntheburn <-- never gets high before a match, waits till after


> > In counterpoint to Doug's story showing pool getting bad press, the
> > Snooker scene appears to have taken a step backwards (from the WPBSA
> > website, and as reported in the Canadian media):

> > PLAYERS FINED FOR FAILING *** TESTS

> > Essex professional Stuart Reardon has been fined 100 and ordered to
> > pay costs of 100 by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker
> > Association after failing a *** test during a Challenge Tour event
> > last December.

> > Reardon was found to be in breach of the Association&#8217;s Rules of
> > Discipline after a routine test taken during Challenge Tour Event Two
> > indicated the presence of Ecstasy. He has also forfeited the 200 Order
> > of Merit points he earned from the tournament.
> > Two other players &#8211; Leonard de Griffa from Manchester and
> > Christopher Flight from Ongar in Essex &#8211; were also fined 100
> > for failing *** test after disciplinary hearings held in Bristol
> > yesterday (Thursday).

> > A test provided by de Griffa during Challenge Tour Event two indicated
> > the presence of *** (***). He forfeits the 175 in prize
> > money plus 650 points earned from that tournament and has also been
> > ordered to pay 200 towards the costs of the enquiry.

> > A routine test taken from Flight during Open Tour Event Two in January
> > indicated the presence of *** (***) and Atenolol. Flight,
> > who did not earn any prize money or points from the event, was ordered
> > to pay 100 towards costs.

 
 
 

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by LEON3 » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:08:34

Quote:

>drinking a couple beers has allowed me to
>get back into it.  It's calmed me down and let me play my game even if my
>game was not working earlier in the night.

I think drinking leads you to believe that you can take chances with shots
because you feel the luck swing your way :-)

LeonW

 
 
 

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by tony mathew » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:56:27

Quote:

> Why would any organization deem it appropriate to test for *** in any
> billiards-related sport? I can't think of any drug that would give a player
> an advantage, quite the opposite.

It was rumoured that many of the top Snooker players were experimenting (g)
with Beta blockers in the 80's (perhaps even earlier). There was a claimed
advantage.

Currently, some sports researchers are looking into the use of ADD *** like
Ritilin to see if performance can be enhanced for "non aerobic/athletic" motor
skill sports like billiards, archery, golf etc.

The idea is that the ADD *** could allow a greater degree of concentration,
hence improved performance. Sort of "dead stroke" through pharmacology if you
will.

Tony

 
 
 

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Post by Ross Ulm » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 06:15:08

Quote:


> > Why would any organization deem it appropriate to test for *** in any
> > billiards-related sport? I can't think of any drug that would give a player
> > an advantage, quite the opposite.

> It was rumoured that many of the top Snooker players were experimenting (g)
> with Beta blockers in the 80's (perhaps even earlier). There was a claimed
> advantage.

> Currently, some sports researchers are looking into the use of ADD *** like
> Ritilin to see if performance can be enhanced for "non aerobic/athletic" motor
> skill sports like billiards, archery, golf etc.

> The idea is that the ADD *** could allow a greater degree of concentration,
> hence improved performance. Sort of "dead stroke" through pharmacology if you
> will.

> Tony

Many of the famous money players in the 70's and 80's used
amphetamines (which are psychostimulants like Ritalin) both to be able
to play longer but also to increase focus and confidence. In fact it
was so common, that playing without stimulants had a name - "playing
on the natural."