Snooker rules question

Snooker rules question

Post by Tim Ferrel » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00


After playing Snooker for only about the third time, I came up with
several rule questions that I hope someone could answer.
-Must the colored balls  pocket be called?
-Can a colored be caromed off of another ball?
-Should a player correctly call and pocket a colored ball and in the
same shot, pocket another colored ball in a different pocket, is the
player both credited with the points for the shot and penalized for
pocketing the wrong colored?
-Are incorrectly potted colored balls spotted?
Thanks in advance
Tim
 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by Freelan » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00


Quote:
> After playing Snooker for only about the third time, I came up
with
> several rule questions that I hope someone could answer.
> -Must the colored balls  pocket be called? not if the referee

knows or has a good idea what your shooting at.
Quote:
> -Can a colored be caromed off of another ball? only if the

colored ball is hit first and you intend to make the colored ball
your shooting and only if it doesn't hit more than two clored
balls.
Quote:
> -Should a player correctly call and pocket a colored ball and
in the
> same shot, pocket another colored ball in a different pocket,
is the
> player both credited with the points for the shot and penalized
for
> pocketing the wrong colored? no, if in the same shot, he is

penalized for how many points the wrong color was pocketed,
unless it is a yellow, red, or green, in which case 4 points is
deducted.
Quote:
> -Are incorrectly potted colored balls spotted? yes.
> Thanks in advance
> Tim


 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by Ron Shepa » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00


Quote:



>> After playing Snooker for only about the third time, I came up
>with
>> several rule questions that I hope someone could answer.

Where is Mark Kulaga when you need him?

Quote:
>> -Must the colored balls  pocket be called?
>not if the referee
>knows or has a good idea what your shooting at.

I don't think this is true.  Snooker is what we pool players would call a
"slop shot" game.  The referee (or opponent) might ask which color you are
nominating, if it is not clear, to determine if the shot results in a good
hit, but there are no requirements to designate pockets in snooker.
Furthermore, if you are shooting at a group of reds, it doesn't matter
which one you hit or which one gets pocketed or in which pockets they go,
they all count the same.

Quote:
>> -Can a colored be caromed off of another ball?
>only if the
>colored ball is hit first and you intend to make the colored ball
>your shooting and only if it doesn't hit more than two clored
>balls.

I'm not sure exactly what this means, but the simple answer to the
question is that ball-ball caroms are allowed.   If you nominate a color,
hit it legally, and pocket it somewhere, you get credit for the shot,
regardless of how many other balls it caroms from.  I don't know of any
additional requirements that prohibit safety shots that involve caroms, or
restrictions on the number of balls that can be moved, or anything else
like this.

$.02 -Ron Shepard

 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by Mat Wilso » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:
>>> -Must the colored balls  pocket be called?
>>not if the referee
>>knows or has a good idea what your shooting at.

The one time a player MUST call a colour is when a free ball is called. This
is when player 1 has made a foul and left player 2 unable to see both edges
of the ball on. Player 2 is then allowed to shoot any other ball, but must
nominate it first.

The only other time a player calls the ball on is where there could be some
ambiguity as to which ball he is shooting, say green, blue and black all in
the same square foot.

Mat Wilson

 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by Ron Shepa » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

>>>> -Must the colored balls  pocket be called?
>>>not if the referee
>>>knows or has a good idea what your shooting at.

>The one time a player MUST call a colour is when a free ball is called. This
>is when player 1 has made a foul and left player 2 unable to see both edges
>of the ball on. Player 2 is then allowed to shoot any other ball, but must
>nominate it first.

>The only other time a player calls the ball on is where there could be some
>ambiguity as to which ball he is shooting, say green, blue and black all in
>the same square foot.

Perhaps we are separated by a common language here, but to a pool player
"calling" a ball means designating which ball is going into which pocket.
In snooker, you must designate which color you are shooting for (as
described above), but you are never required to designate which pocket, or
the caroms, or the banks, or any other detail like this.

$.02 -Ron Shepard

 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by Thomas Boerne » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> -Must the colored balls  pocket be called?

You don't ever have to call a pocket, you just have to call the color
you want to play (if it's not obvious).

Quote:
> -Can a colored be caromed off of another ball?

Yes. It's the same way as in 9-ball. You just have to hit the color you
called, pocket, rails, caroms, etc. do not have to be called. BTW, it is
not allowed to play a combination shot, because you have to hit the
color you called first!

Quote:
> -Should a player correctly call and pocket a colored ball and in the
> same shot, pocket another colored ball in a different pocket, is the
> player both credited with the points for the shot and penalized for
> pocketing the wrong colored?

As far as I can remember this is a foul and you won't get points for the
ball you potted correctly AND you will be penalized for the points of
the incorrectly potted ball, but with a minimum of four points as with
every foul in snooker. But be careful with this statement, I could be
wrong. I'm only sure that this is a foul and you will be penalized and
have to end your inning!

Quote:
> -Are incorrectly potted colored balls spotted?

Yes!

Regards, Thomas

 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by Freelan » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00


Quote:




> >> After playing Snooker for only about the third time, I came
up
> >with
> >> several rule questions that I hope someone could answer.

> Where is Mark Kulaga when you need him?

> >> -Must the colored balls  pocket be called?
> >not if the referee
> >knows or has a good idea what your shooting at.

> I don't think this is true.  Snooker is what we pool players
would call a
> "slop shot" game.

Well, if you've ever played the game, I wouldn't call it a slop
shot game.

The referee (or opponent) might ask which color you are

Quote:
> nominating, if it is not clear, to determine if the shot
results in a good
> hit, but there are no requirements to designate pockets in

snooker.

Exactly what I said, except there is a rule you must shoot away
from a ball if the cue ball is touching it and must not move that
ball or it is a foul.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
> Furthermore, if you are shooting at a group of reds, it doesn't
matter
> which one you hit or which one gets pocketed or in which
pockets they go,
> they all count the same.

> >> -Can a colored be caromed off of another ball?
> >only if the
> >colored ball is hit first and you intend to make the colored
ball
> >your shooting and only if it doesn't hit more than two clored
> >balls.

> I'm not sure exactly what this means, but the simple answer to
the
> question is that ball-ball caroms are allowed.   If you
nominate a color,
> hit it legally, and pocket it somewhere, you get credit for the
shot,
> regardless of how many other balls it caroms from.
I don't know of any
> additional requirements that prohibit safety shots that involve
caroms, or
> restrictions on the number of balls that can be moved, or
anything else
> like this.

> $.02 -Ron Shepard

 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by LAllen16 » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00


You cannot be serious! But seriously:
1. You can pot a colour in any pocket, even by a fluke
2. You cannot cannon (or carom) a colour, as you must strike it first, but it
may go in off any other ball.
3. If you pocket two colours in the same stroke, it is a foul and you only
score points scored before that stroke, with penalty for foul of the higher
value colur potted
4. Yes, incorrectly pocketed colours are spotted on their own spots, or on
highest spot available if occupied by another ball
Graham
 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by LAllen16 » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00


Ron Shepard wrote that you must nominate a free ball in snooker. This has not
been the case for several years now, as long as your colour is obvious,
although I always nominate just for self-protection!
Graham
 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by Mat Wilso » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:



>>>>> -Must the colored balls  pocket be called?
>>>>not if the referee
>>>>knows or has a good idea what your shooting at.

>>The one time a player MUST call a colour is when a free ball is called.
This
>>is when player 1 has made a foul and left player 2 unable to see both
edges
>>of the ball on. Player 2 is then allowed to shoot any other ball, but must
>>nominate it first.

>>The only other time a player calls the ball on is where there could be
some
>>ambiguity as to which ball he is shooting, say green, blue and black all
in
>>the same square foot.

>Perhaps we are separated by a common language here, but to a pool player
>"calling" a ball means designating which ball is going into which pocket.
>In snooker, you must designate which color you are shooting for (as
>described above), but you are never required to designate which pocket, or
>the caroms, or the banks, or any other detail like this.

>$.02 -Ron Shepard

Yeah, you're right. Only the ball is called, not the pocket.
As far as banks(doubles) and caroms (plants or sets) are concerned, no you
don't have to call them, and they are hardly ever employed anyway.

Thanks,
Mat Wilson
http://www.denton5.freeserve.co.uk

 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by Ron Shepa » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00


Quote:







>> >> After playing Snooker for only about the third time, I came
>up
>> >with
>> >> several rule questions that I hope someone could answer.

>> Where is Mark Kulaga when you need him?

>> >> -Must the colored balls  pocket be called?
>> >not if the referee
>> >knows or has a good idea what your shooting at.

>> I don't think this is true.  Snooker is what we pool players
>would call a
>> "slop shot" game.
>Well, if you've ever played the game, I wouldn't call it a slop
>shot game.

In what way would it not qualify as "slop shot"?  Why do you think snooker
is call-shot?  

Why do you think that I've never played?

And how does *my* playing experience determine whether *you* would call it
slop-shot or not?  ;-)

Quote:
>The referee (or opponent) might ask which color you are
>> nominating, if it is not clear, to determine if the shot
>results in a good
>> hit, but there are no requirements to designate pockets in
>snooker.

>Exactly what I said, except there is a rule you must shoot away
>from a ball if the cue ball is touching it and must not move that
>ball or it is a foul.

Well, no, this isn't exactly what you said, which is why we have corrected
your statement.  Tim Ferrell asked if the colored ball's pocket must be
called, and you said that a referee might require it.  This is not true.
The pocket *never* needs to be called.  In pool player's terms, snooker is
a slop-shot game, not a call-shot game.

$.02 -Ron Shepard

 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by Ron Shepa » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00


Quote:


>Ron Shepard wrote that you must nominate a free ball in snooker. This has not
>been the case for several years now, as long as your colour is obvious,
>although I always nominate just for self-protection!

I was not the one who said this, but I do believe the rules require it
nonetheless.  Otherwise, how would the referee know which ball was
designated as the free ball?

Now that free balls have been brought into the conversation, that is the
situation in which the player is allowed to play a combination on a
color.  For example, say the yellow is in the jaws of the pocket, and it
is snookered by the black.  After a foul, I think the player could
designate the black as the free ball, play the combination on the yellow,
and continue the run from the green.  Right?

$.02 -Ron Shepard

 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by Peter Ainswor » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

Correct ......... I suppose you also know what would happen if both
the yellow and black were pocketed ?



Quote:
>Now that free balls have been brought into the conversation, that is the
>situation in which the player is allowed to play a combination on a
>color.  For example, say the yellow is in the jaws of the pocket, and it
>is snookered by the black.  After a foul, I think the player could
>designate the black as the free ball, play the combination on the yellow,
>and continue the run from the green.  Right?

>$.02 -Ron Shepard

 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by Peter Ainswor » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

A player is no longer required to nominate his selected free-ball,
although there are plenty of reasons why, in his own interests, he
should do so. I cannot recall any match I have seen in recent years,
either amateur or professional, where the player has not elected to
nominate a ball in these circumstances.



Quote:

>I was not the one who said this, but I do believe the rules require it
>nonetheless.  Otherwise, how would the referee know which ball was
>designated as the free ball?

 
 
 

Snooker rules question

Post by Ron Shepa » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

>Correct ......... I suppose you also know what would happen if both
>the yellow and black were pocketed ?

In part.  I know that the black spots, I know that the yellow stays down,
and I know that you continue shooting on the green.  I think you get 4
points (2 for each ball), but I'm not sure.  Right?

$.02 -Ron Shepard