US 9-Ball OPEN

US 9-Ball OPEN

Post by Tim Dol » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:25:19


We are almost into August and I haven't seen the US open in the up coming
events in Billiards Digest. I did see an adverti***t though.
Is there any advanced info on the field? Will the Aisians be invited?
Please advise
Tim,
       Looking to expand Seniors (55 + ) Daytime Pool League
 
 
 

US 9-Ball OPEN

Post by Frank » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 03:39:11



:|:We are almost into August and I haven't seen the US open in the up coming
:|:events in Billiards Digest. I did see an adverti***t though.
:|:Is there any advanced info on the field? Will the Aisians be invited?
:|:Please advise
:|:Tim,
:|:       Looking to expand Seniors (55 + ) Daytime Pool League
:|:

The US Open is Open. If you have the entry fee, you are invited. Now,
"will they come?" is a horse of a different color.

--


 
 
 

US 9-Ball OPEN

Post by Pt » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:46:08

Just out of curiosity, do entry fees get adjusted based which country
you are a resident of?  For example, a $1000 entry fee is about a week
pay over here in the US, but might be 5 months pay over in some Asian
countries.  The presure base on what is on the line would be totally
different between a player from the US and someone w/ his 5 months
salary on the line.
I think the answer would be NO.  Just want to make that the question
"will they come?" is based more on financial differences than skill
differences.
Quote:



> :|:We are almost into August and I haven't seen the US open in the up coming
> :|:events in Billiards Digest. I did see an adverti***t though.
> :|:Is there any advanced info on the field? Will the Aisians be invited?
> :|:Please advise
> :|:Tim,
> :|:       Looking to expand Seniors (55 + ) Daytime Pool League
> :|:

> The US Open is Open. If you have the entry fee, you are invited. Now,
> "will they come?" is a horse of a different color.


 
 
 

US 9-Ball OPEN

Post by Frank » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:08:28



:|:I think the answer would be NO.  Just want to make that the question
:|:"will they come?" is based more on financial differences than skill
:|:differences.
:|:
:|:

No, it is around $500 US (it may be more this year, I'm not sure).
Past winners entry is paid by Barry. Some have sponsors that pay the
fee, some pay it out of pocket. Once the field fills up, that's it.
The last 2 years the field has not filled, I don't think, but was
close. Someone from another country would need more than just the
entry. There is hotel, food, and airline tickets, plus other things.
Without a sponsor, it would be difficult to enter if you have to come
far and have a tight budget.

--

 
 
 

US 9-Ball OPEN

Post by Tim Dol » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:53:40

Yes, I'm aware that it is an "open" event.
But, I was under the impression that the Asian players were in the WPA (maybe)
and there was some kind of fee required but Barry wouldn't pay the sanctioning
fee - - - or something like that.
Shouldn't the promoter want the best in the world to be there?
Tim,
       Looking to expand Seniors (55 + ) Daytime Pool League
 
 
 

US 9-Ball OPEN

Post by TheRack » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 19:25:18

Quote:
>For example, a $1000 entry fee is about a week
>pay over here in the US

$1,000 is a weeks pay???  Well if your net for a week is a grand you must be
grossing at least $1,250 a week which figures out to about $62,500 a year.  Now
divide that by your standard 2,000 hours and you must be making something like
$32.50 an hour.  Hmmm, I didn't realize the average hourly wage in the U.S. was
quite that high.  I'm gonna have to get on my boss at Jiffy Lube, I work the
number two stall and my hourly rate isn't even close.
 
 
 

US 9-Ball OPEN

Post by Richard C Tumbelak » Tue, 05 Aug 2003 00:58:57

The Asian will for sure be there! now it's not only the
Philipinos, Korean and Japanese ... watch out for the Taiwanese.

Oh .. don't worry about money, some of them will for sure
be there supported and funded by half of the city from
where they live.
You know Asian ... they are not individualistic.....

Quote:

> Just out of curiosity, do entry fees get adjusted based which country
> you are a resident of?  For example, a $1000 entry fee is about a week
> pay over here in the US, but might be 5 months pay over in some Asian
> countries.  The presure base on what is on the line would be totally
> different between a player from the US and someone w/ his 5 months
> salary on the line.
> I think the answer would be NO.  Just want to make that the question
> "will they come?" is based more on financial differences than skill
> differences.




> > :|:We are almost into August and I haven't seen the US open in the up coming
> > :|:events in Billiards Digest. I did see an adverti***t though.
> > :|:Is there any advanced info on the field? Will the Aisians be invited?
> > :|:Please advise
> > :|:Tim,
> > :|:       Looking to expand Seniors (55 + ) Daytime Pool League
> > :|:

> > The US Open is Open. If you have the entry fee, you are invited. Now,
> > "will they come?" is a horse of a different color.

 
 
 

US 9-Ball OPEN

Post by Tim Dol » Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:38:10

Does anyone have any official listing of advanced- paid-  entrants?
Tim,
       Looking to expand Seniors (55 + ) Daytime Pool League