Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Post by Nyhete » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00


Hi !
How good is the Predator shaft ?
Where can I order it from ? Price etc....

Is it tru that they stopped production og moori tips ?
If not where can I order them, are there any good substitutes ????

Roy

Please Re or email

 
 
 

Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Post by Ken Bou » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi !
>How good is the Predator shaft ?

Real good.

Quote:
>Where can I order it from ? Price etc....

$150 from Hawley's (http://www.hawleys.com), for one.

Quote:
>Is it tru that they stopped production og moori tips ?
>If not where can I order them, are there any good substitutes ????

Try the Hercules brand.  It's a mult-layered pigskin tip.  They seem to be a
little harder than others.  I have had good luck with the "mediums".

--
Ken Bour
Sterling, VA
http://www.erols.com/kbour

 
 
 

Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Post by sho.. » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00



Quote:
> Hi !
> How good is the Predator shaft ?
> Where can I order it from ? Price etc....

> Is it tru that they stopped production og moori tips ?
> If not where can I order them, are there any good substitutes ????

> Roy

> Please Re or email


I bought my Predator Sneaky Pete from Hawleys (online) about a year ago.
I've been breaking and shooting with it everday!  I practice about 5 hours a
night, I have replaced my tip twice.  I love my Predator, I'm going to get
another.  Wood to wood, solid hit.

Never used a moori tip. Used Elk's tip, med - hard.

QS

-----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own    

 
 
 

Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Post by Jwhit » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

You can obtain Moori Tips - goto HTTP://fox.nstn.ca/~u4eah/cuetime.htm.  The
number listed answers after 1PM EST.  Plenty of Tips on hand.



Quote:
> Hi !
> How good is the Predator shaft ?
> Where can I order it from ? Price etc....

> Is it tru that they stopped production og moori tips ?
> If not where can I order them, are there any good substitutes ????

> Roy

> Please Re or email


-----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own    
 
 
 

Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Post by wly.. » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00


Quote:



> > Hi !
> > How good is the Predator shaft ?
> > Where can I order it from ? Price etc....

> > Is it tru that they stopped production og moori tips ?
> > If not where can I order them, are there any good substitutes ????

> > Roy

> > Please Re or email


Dear Roy,

Just wanted to let you know that in addition to the best priced Predator
Shafts we also carry Moori Tips at www.hawleys.com.  Look us up or call
1-800-938-3000. Take care. Walter Hawley

Quote:

> I bought my Predator Sneaky Pete from Hawleys (online) about a year ago.
> I've been breaking and shooting with it everday!  I practice about 5 hours a
> night, I have replaced my tip twice.  I love my Predator, I'm going to get
> another.  Wood to wood, solid hit.

> Never used a moori tip. Used Elk's tip, med - hard.

> QS

> -----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
> http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

-----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own    
 
 
 

Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Post by Jeff Cavanag » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I got a Predator shaft just before Christmas, largely on the strength of
opinions from the likes of Ken Bour and Ron Shepard, and I couldn't be more
pleased.  The clincher for me was the opinion of a local player, Jim
Crawley, who said he won't play with anything else now.

It truly has taken my game up a notch, although I'm still learning how to
use less english to accomplish what used to be second nature (it's coming
though).  I'm constantly amazed at how much more spin I'm able to put on the
cueball -- I can throw balls in that I couldn't even get close with my
production McDermott shaft.  In a tournament last weekend I actually
over-threw a ball that I know I couldn't have thrown in before.

I got my Predator from Shooters Billiards http://www.shootersbilliards.com/
for $160.  I knew Hawley's was $10 cheaper, but I was ordering a cue for my
wife for Christmas and my overall order was cheaper at Shooters.  I also got
a Moori medium and a Hercules tip, but I haven't put them on yet (I didn't
want to adjust to a new tip until I got used to the new shaft).  My friend
Jim swears by Moori though, even using one on his break stick.  The guy at
Shooters was very nice to deal with, and he talked me into trying a Hercules
(I'm gonna put it on my break stick when this season is over).

I hope this helps.  My recommendation -- go for it, you won't regret it!

Jeff

Quote:

>Hi !
>How good is the Predator shaft ?
>Where can I order it from ? Price etc....

>Roy

 
 
 

Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Post by Mike Pa » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

> I got a Predator shaft just before Christmas, largely on the strength of
> opinions from the likes of Ken Bour and Ron Shepard, [...]
> It truly has taken my game up a notch, although I'm still learning how to
> use less english to accomplish what used to be second nature (it's coming
> though).  I'm constantly amazed at how much more spin I'm able to put on the
> cueball -- I can throw balls in that I couldn't even get close with my
> production McDermott shaft.  In a tournament last weekend I actually
> over-threw a ball that I know I couldn't have thrown in before.

Jeff - sounds like the predator is working well for you.  That's great. I
think it's worth pointing out that neither of the two predator-supporting
RSBers you mention, Ken Bour or Ron Shepard, has supported the "superspin"
claim.  That is, both of these guys have supported the predator shaft
because of its lower squirt and have been consistently sceptical of claims
of extra spin.

BTW, I'm wondering if you are the *only* RSBer in a colder climate than me ??

Fargo:       average January temperature         6 F (-14 C)
Yellowknife: average January temperature       -18 F (-28 C)

Do you ever leave your cue in the car?

screw it together shortly after bringing it in?

--
mike page <-- thinks Jeff should keep his tongue away from steel joint if he      
              leaves cue in car.
          <-- has relatives that used to live in Yellowknife

fargo     <-- In the 40's F today

 
 
 

Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Post by Ron Shepa » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

>I got a Predator shaft just before Christmas, largely on the strength of
>opinions from the likes of Ken Bour and Ron Shepard, and I couldn't be more
>pleased.  The clincher for me was the opinion of a local player, Jim
>Crawley, who said he won't play with anything else now.

>[...] I can throw balls in that I couldn't even get close with my
>production McDermott shaft.  In a tournament last weekend I actually
>over-threw a ball that I know I couldn't have thrown in before. [...]

I'm glad that you are pleased with your shaft, but I should point out that
object ball throw depends primarily on ball-ball friction and has little
to do with the shaft characteristics.

Just out of curiosity, is this a Predator cue or is it a Predator shaft on
another butt?  If the latter, what kind of ***and what kind of joint
does it have (is is on your McD)?  Apart from squirt, how does the "hit"
feel compared to your other shaft?

$.02 -Ron Shepard

 
 
 

Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Post by Jeff Cavanag » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Mike,

Yeah, I suppose I might be colder than anyone else that hangs out regularly
here....  But that's why I play so much pool all winter (which as you
probably now feels like it's 7 months long!) <g>

Never, never, never do I ever, ever, ever leave my cue in my car -- no
matter if the temperature is 72, cloudy and 50% humidity, and my car could
be hermetically sealed....  I'm just too ***about it!  If I go for a bite,
I take it in with me.  If I go see the peelers after league nite (we have
two teams that play above our only peeler bar!), I take it with me (along
with my clipboard/scorebook and bag with my team shirt) and get them placed
behind the bar out of harm's way!

As far as superspin goes, I think it's more that I can hit more spin, more
confidently so I'm getting more.  Maybe just feeling that squirt isn't as
big a concern has me stroking those shots better than I used to.  But I
still have a nagging feeling that for the same tip offset, I'm throwing
balls more -- and if it's just more confidence I think I can live with that
<G>.  And the local player, Jim Crawley, that I talked too definitely felt
he was getting more spin too (and he is a much better player than I am --
like top 3 in town and maybe top 100 in Canada from his performances at the
BCA Canadians....).  But yeah, I can definitely go with sceptical, tinged
with optimistic!

L8r,
Jeff

Quote:

>BTW, I'm wondering if you are the *only* RSBer in a colder climate than me
??

>Fargo:       average January temperature         6 F (-14 C)
>Yellowknife: average January temperature       -18 F (-28 C)

>Do you ever leave your cue in the car?

 
 
 

Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Post by Jeff Cavanag » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm playing with the Predator shaft on my McDermot EL-6 (I think, the one
with the cobra on it).  I've been very happy and I think just the confidence
(real or imagined) has helped elevate my game in the last month or so.  I've
played some of the best players lately and done enough to impress, at least!

As far as the throw, doesn't the relative spin have a great impact (as
compared to the cueball linear velocity)?
Luckily I can be a stubborn dumbass so even if I'm off my rocker it
shouldn't shake my confidence too badly <g>  Which, BTW, is the same reason
I used to scratch repeatedly on the same type of shot -- I was sure if I
just did it a little differently that I could keep the cue out of the damn
hole!  I later determined it was much easier to avoid scratching just by
playing a different shot <g>.

As far as the hit goes, I think it's more dependent on the tip and the tip's
maintenance -- which I'm also a little too ***about so my tips don't last
as long as they should.  I'm butchering this one regularly so I don't feel
like I'm wasting money by taking it off to put on the Moori I got....  Oh
yeah, the point:  I do like the hit but it doesn't feel much different than
the McD shaft.  I'm expecting another artificial confidence boost and leap
in skill when I put the Moori on!  God loves an optimist!

Thanks for your interest!!

Jeff

Quote:

>I'm glad that you are pleased with your shaft, but I should point out that
>object ball throw depends primarily on ball-ball friction and has little
>to do with the shaft characteristics.

>Just out of curiosity, is this a Predator cue or is it a Predator shaft on
>another butt?  If the latter, what kind of ***and what kind of joint
>does it have (is is on your McD)?  Apart from squirt, how does the "hit"
>feel compared to your other shaft?

>$.02 -Ron Shepard

 
 
 

Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Post by Ron Shepa » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00


[...]

Quote:
> As far as the throw, doesn't the relative spin have a great impact (as
> compared to the cueball linear velocity)? [...]

The amount of object ball throw is directly proportional to the amount of
transferred sidespin.  It is the same sliding frictional force that causes
both effects.  So if you want to throw an object ball the most possible,
you hit it the same way that you would if you want to transfer the maximum
amount of sidespin.

The answer to how to do this is related to the Buddy Hall reversing bank
shot question in another thread.  The cue ball should be stunned into the
object ball with sidespin.  How much sidespin?  It doesn't matter much.
As long as the ball surfaces are sliding against each other in the right
direction, it doesn't matter very much exactly how fast it is sliding.
The important thing is that the cue ball is stunned rather than rolling
with topspin or spinning backwards with draw; the topspin and draw reduce
the amount of spin transferred and therefore also the amount of object
ball throw.  In the case of reversing bank shots there is also a speed
factor to the shot; namely the object ball should achieve natural roll
just before hitting the second cushion because this maximizes the
sidespin/speed ratio going into that cushion.  It is surprising how many
good players don't understand this -- an exception is Willie Jopling who
mentions this frequently in his trick shot articles in Billiards Digest.

Many instructional books talk about spin transfer as if there are two
interlocked gears turning against each other for some period of time
during the ball-ball collision.  This is the wrong way to think about spin
transfer and object ball throw.  It is sliding friction that does the
trick, not interlocked gears.  If this seems confusing, work with
reversing bank shots for a few minutes thinking about sliding friction and
it will click why it works.

This idea of spin transfer why I said previously that a Predator shaft
probably has little to do with the amount of object ball throw that can be
achieved.  You can stun the cue ball with a house cue, so, with a touch of
sidespin, that should be enough to throw object balls.  It is ball-ball
sliding friction that does the work, not the amount of sidespin.

Regarding confidence and your shooting ability, I think confidence is like
superstition.  I forget who said this (Schrodinger or Dirac I think?), but
the important thing about superstition is that it works whether you
believe in it or not. ;-)

$.02 -Ron Shepard

 
 
 

Experience on Moori and Predator wanted !

Post by Jeff Cavanag » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Clipped:  all kinds of interesting things that I can't even comment on until
I experiment with them on the table, but I'm sure are going to unlock a new
key in my game -- but I can't do it without a table....

But more importantly, the following paragraph is hilariously funny --
especially in stark contract by the techno (billiardo?)-speak of the
preceding paragraphs!

Cheers,
Jeff

Quote:

>Regarding confidence and your shooting ability, I think confidence is like
>superstition.  I forget who said this (Schrodinger or Dirac I think?), but
>the important thing about superstition is that it works whether you
>believe in it or not. ;-)

>$.02 -Ron Shepard