What's the Best Rail Rubber

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by Ed » Mon, 08 Mar 2004 05:27:19


I was goin get a new table but now am thinking of getting a used one and
might need to replace the rail ***. Don't like what they use on the
Diamonds that much what do you guys like out there?
Seems like the Valleys bank good and so do the Brunswicks,Olhausen, and some
others. Was there ever a vote or anything for the best banking table. What do
bank pool player prefer and one pocket players? Thanks for the help.
ed
 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by Tucker B Nanobot? » Mon, 08 Mar 2004 06:30:45

trojan

Quote:
> I was goin get a new table but now am thinking of getting a used one and
> might need to replace the rail ***. Don't like what they use on the
> Diamonds that much what do you guys like out there?
> Seems like the Valleys bank good and so do the Brunswicks,Olhausen, and
some
> others. Was there ever a vote or anything for the best banking table. What
do
> bank pool player prefer and one pocket players? Thanks for the help.
> ed


 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by Ed » Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:35:53

What do you all think of Artemis Tourament Cushions #66 not sure what
tables they come on but Mueller's sell them.
http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm/sku/36-228.cfm
http://www.artemis-kautschuk.de/en/Produkte/index.html
Anybody want a fight.
ed

 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by Bob Jewet » Wed, 10 Mar 2004 04:16:11

Quote:

> What do you all think of Artemis Tourament Cushions #66 not sure what
> tables they come on but Mueller's sell them.

Artemis is generally well regarded for carom cushions, and I
think they use real gum ***.  Kleber is another possible
choice.

Several of the local pool halls have had the orginal *** die
on the nearly-new pool tables within 5-10 years of purchase.
I think this is a really sad state of affairs -- that a major
billiard company could apparently forget everything it had
learned over the previous 150 years.

--

Bob Jewett
http://SportToday.org/

 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by Tim Padric » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:49:06

My mechanic (who quit because he makes too much money restoring tables to
spend any time doing setups) says that in spite of their being over 30 years
old, the original cushions on my Gold Crown II will outlast any of the
cushions that are made today.  A friend has a weird old Valley, and the
mechanic said that those would also outlast any current cushions.


Quote:
> I was goin get a new table but now am thinking of getting a used one and
> might need to replace the rail ***. Don't like what they use on the
> Diamonds that much what do you guys like out there?
> Seems like the Valleys bank good and so do the Brunswicks,Olhausen, and
some
> others. Was there ever a vote or anything for the best banking table. What
do
> bank pool player prefer and one pocket players? Thanks for the help.
> ed

 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by Bob Jewet » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:04:49

Quote:

> My mechanic (who quit because he makes too much money restoring
> tables to spend any time doing setups) says that in spite of
> their being over 30 years old, the original cushions on my Gold
> Crown II will outlast any of the cushions that are made today.
> A friend has a weird old Valley, and the mechanic said that
> those would also outlast any current cushions.

I think this may apply to current US brands, but I think it does
not apply to the European brands.

--

Bob Jewett
http://www.sfbilliards.com/

 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by Patrick Johnso » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:43:15

Tim:

Quote:
>>My mechanic (who quit because he makes too much money restoring
>>tables to spend any time doing setups) says that in spite of
>>their being over 30 years old, the original cushions on my Gold
>>Crown II will outlast any of the cushions that are made today.
>>A friend has a weird old Valley, and the mechanic said that
>>those would also outlast any current cushions.

Bob:

Quote:
> I think this may apply to current US brands, but I think it does
> not apply to the European brands.

It doesn't apply to even all of the Brunswicks.  There are a dozen 30
year old GC3s(?) in one room here with slow *** on all of them.  I
assume it's from the *** hardening with age.  Is there any way to
prevent that?  Any way to "revitalize" old *** (other than replacing it)?

Pat Johnson
Chicago

 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by Ed » Sat, 13 Mar 2004 01:56:12

Hi Tim,
What kind of rails does your mechanic use when he restores a table?  
Does that mean that the Sport King and Anniversay and that time period
table will have years of play left in them? How is it that they can't make
rails as good as they used to. Do people ask for a certain type of rail?
Would a 9ft Brunswick snooker table be hard to convert to a pool table? Rail
height I guess would be a major problem but are there any other things to
consider? Thanks for your help.
ed
Quote:

> My mechanic (who quit because he makes too much money restoring tables to
> spend any time doing setups) says that in spite of their being over 30 years
> old, the original cushions on my Gold Crown II will outlast any of the
> cushions that are made today.  A friend has a weird old Valley, and the
> mechanic said that those would also outlast any current cushions.



> > I was goin get a new table but now am thinking of getting a used one and
> > might need to replace the rail ***. Don't like what they use on the
> > Diamonds that much what do you guys like out there?
> > Seems like the Valleys bank good and so do the Brunswicks,Olhausen, and
>  some
> > others. Was there ever a vote or anything for the best banking table. What
>  do
> > bank pool player prefer and one pocket players? Thanks for the help.
> > ed

 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by Tim Padric » Sat, 13 Mar 2004 08:29:45

I regret that I'm just parroting what he's told me.

I don't know what he uses on his restorations.  I don't think he works on
anything as new as an Anniversary or Sport king.


Quote:
> Tim:
> >>My mechanic (who quit because he makes too much money restoring
> >>tables to spend any time doing setups) says that in spite of
> >>their being over 30 years old, the original cushions on my Gold
> >>Crown II will outlast any of the cushions that are made today.
> >>A friend has a weird old Valley, and the mechanic said that
> >>those would also outlast any current cushions.

> Bob:
> > I think this may apply to current US brands, but I think it does
> > not apply to the European brands.

> It doesn't apply to even all of the Brunswicks.  There are a dozen 30
> year old GC3s(?) in one room here with slow *** on all of them.  I
> assume it's from the *** hardening with age.  Is there any way to
> prevent that?  Any way to "revitalize" old *** (other than replacing
it)?

> Pat Johnson
> Chicago

 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by Mark » Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:40:11

My Anniversary's rails are 59 years old and still play pretty good (5 1/2
rails).  I'm considering recushioning it next time I recover it.

I wonder if Artemis cushions are any good.

-Mark0


Quote:
> Hi Tim,
> What kind of rails does your mechanic use when he restores a table?
> Does that mean that the Sport King and Anniversay and that time period
> table will have years of play left in them? How is it that they can't make
> rails as good as they used to. Do people ask for a certain type of rail?
> Would a 9ft Brunswick snooker table be hard to convert to a pool table?
Rail
> height I guess would be a major problem but are there any other things to
> consider? Thanks for your help.
> ed




Quote:
> > My mechanic (who quit because he makes too much money restoring tables
to
> > spend any time doing setups) says that in spite of their being over 30
years
> > old, the original cushions on my Gold Crown II will outlast any of the
> > cushions that are made today.  A friend has a weird old Valley, and the
> > mechanic said that those would also outlast any current cushions.



> > > I was goin get a new table but now am thinking of getting a used one
and
> > > might need to replace the rail ***. Don't like what they use on the
> > > Diamonds that much what do you guys like out there?
> > > Seems like the Valleys bank good and so do the Brunswicks,Olhausen,
and
> >  some
> > > others. Was there ever a vote or anything for the best banking table.
What
> >  do
> > > bank pool player prefer and one pocket players? Thanks for the help.
> > > ed

 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by al con » Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:08:29

Artemis cushions are not interchangable with Super Speed cushions.
 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by Ed » Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:37:42

Quote:

> Artemis cushions are not interchangable with Super Speed cushions.

What do you mean when you say they aren't interchangeable? That they
won't
fit correctly? Please explain. Do you have to get a cushion to fit a
certain table? Thanks for your help.
ed
 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by al con » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:31:27

ed--- Artemis 66 cushions and Super Speed cushions have different
profiles.They will not interchange unless the wood linings are altered.
Al
 
 
 

What's the Best Rail Rubber

Post by Ed » Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:47:39

Thanks Al that clears a few things up for me. Not as simple as it appears!
Buy what you like best and it might not fit your table. Thanks again for your
help.
ed
Quote:

> ed--- Artemis 66 cushions and Super Speed cushions have different
> profiles.They will not interchange unless the wood linings are altered.
> Al