Basics or FAQ for buying a used pool table?

Basics or FAQ for buying a used pool table?

Post by Ned Flande » Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:31:06


Hey folks,
I would like to buy a used slate table for my rec room.  
This would be a basic family pool table.  But, I've played (years ago)
enough to appreciate that I want slate and not "slate substitute".

I have some questions.

-How much clearance from the wall is needed?  I need to figure out if
I can do 9', 8', or 7'.

-If I go to look at a used table, how do I tell if it's good?  Just
play some shots, look for non-true rolls?  Of course it could just be
out of level?  Would I be better off hiring a table pro to check it
out?  How do you find one and how much does an inspection cost?

-Dissambly, moving, assembly:  Professional job only?  Again, where do
you find someone?

-Let's say I can go 8'.  What should my budget be to buy a good family
quality true-rolling slate table, and get it disassembled, moved, and
assembled?  I'm not interested in "collectible", just a good playing
table.

I'm near Joliet, IL.  If anyone wants to try to sell me a table, email
me at mcl01 (at) mainlinebroadband.com.  (That's em-see-el-zero-one,
not em-see-one-zero-one.)

Thanks!

 
 
 

Basics or FAQ for buying a used pool table?

Post by Tim Mille » Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:44:59

Brunswick has room size requirements here:

http://www.brunswick-billiards.com/products/brunswick/tables/roomsize...

 
 
 

Basics or FAQ for buying a used pool table?

Post by Jim Eale » Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:35:37

Brunswick is a little optimistic on its room sizes.  Try:

    http://www.sfbilliards.com/faq.html

Item number 10 has room sizes.

Jim Eales

 
 
 

Basics or FAQ for buying a used pool table?

Post by fastlarry.. » Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:44:49

Quote:

> Hey folks,
> I would like to buy a used slate table for my rec room.  
> This would be a basic family pool table.  But, I've played (years ago)
> enough to appreciate that I want slate and not "slate substitute".

> I have some questions.

> -How much clearance from the wall is needed?  I need to figure out if
> I can do 9', 8', or 7'.

> -If I go to look at a used table, how do I tell if it's good?  Just
> play some shots, look for non-true rolls?  Of course it could just be
> out of level?  Would I be better off hiring a table pro to check it
> out?  How do you find one and how much does an inspection cost?

> -Dissambly, moving, assembly:  Professional job only?  Again, where do
> you find someone?

> -Let's say I can go 8'.  What should my budget be to buy a good family
> quality true-rolling slate table, and get it disassembled, moved, and
> assembled?  I'm not interested in "collectible", just a good playing
> table.

> I'm near Joliet, IL.  If anyone wants to try to sell me a table, email
> me at mcl01 (at) mainlinebroadband.com.  (That's em-see-el-zero-one,
> not em-see-one-zero-one.)

> Thanks!

*************************************************************
You did not post one vital point, how much do you have to spend.  FL.
 
 
 

Basics or FAQ for buying a used pool table?

Post by Bob Jewet » Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:44:52


Quote:
> Brunswick has room size requirements here:
> http://www.brunswick-billiards.com/products/brunswick/tables/roomsize...

It's just my opinion, but anyone who installs a 4.5x9-foot table
in a 12x16-foot room deserves to be horse-whipped, and then have
even worse things done to them.  Your mileage may vary.

--

Bob Jewett
http://www.sfbilliards.com/

 
 
 

Basics or FAQ for buying a used pool table?

Post by fastlarry.. » Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:18:19

Quote:


> > Brunswick has room size requirements here:
> > http://SportToday.org/

> It's just my opinion, but anyone who installs a 4.5x9-foot table
> in a 12x16-foot room deserves to be horse-whipped, and then have
> even worse things done to them.  Your mileage may vary.

************************************************************

ok *** E, so flog away. Geeze Jewie, don't be so friggen rigid dude.
Some of us are poor blue collar working class stiffs who do not have a
palatiol mansion  with big empty rooms to set our tables up in.  Some
of us have to make do with what we have which is going to be really
substandard.  Any table is better than no table ***ie.  Being able to
practice on 3 rails instead of 4 is better than no table ***ie.  My
advice is don't let a small room stop you, cram that sucker in and get
playing.

My 4 l/2x9' gold crown is in a one car garage that is 14.5' wide.
Yes, I do not play pool games on it.  If I had tried to then I would
be using short cues all the time and it would have been a mess.  I use
it to just practice drills and groove my stroke and practice my
artistic shots which are all made on one short and one long rail.  I
moved the table over close to one wall, giving about 2' to just barely
walk by but can not shoot on the long rail. I fill the side pocket up
with towels and when a ball goes in or two, I use my shaft and ferrule
to reach in and flip it back out so I don't even have to squeeze back
there any more.
I now have plenty of room to practice my break off of both short rails
or off of the one long rail as my space is long, just not wide.  I got
a lot done on that table.  Yes if I had put in a 7' table in that
space I could have played games but I would be grooving a 7' stroke
and I wanted to practice 9' shots.

Later on I added a 2nd 4 l/2x9' gold crown in another larger room and
I could actually play pool games on.  I call it the dogs table as they
hop up on it and play daily any time they want to.  I prefer to use
the one in the garage and they are not allowed to hop up on my table
with out asking first.  I practice my masses and stroke shots there
which really works over my 760 cloth.  The dog table cloth is kept
real nice and I keep a house cloth over the Simonis cut around the
corners to keep the dog hair off of it should I want to entertain some
one on it then I just remove the dog shield cloth and there is a brand
new clean cloth to play on.  Both of these cloths are light blue 760.

My 3rd table is a home 8' with 760 beigh cloth set up in a seperate
studio where I am now filming DVD's soon to be released.  This is a
Chinese home rec import table I am using just to show I am making the
shots on the cheapest tables sold so I have no advantage.

Best Wishes,
Fast Larry

 
 
 

Basics or FAQ for buying a used pool table?

Post by PoolCar » Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:31:52

Or better yet, just have 5 feet from the edge of each side of your table to the
wall!
3 1/2 x 7 =  13 1/2 x 17
4 x 8       =  14 x 18
4 1/2 x 9 =   14 1/2 x 19

Jim Halladay
Billiarddoc.com

Quote:
>Subject: Re: Basics or FAQ for buying a used pool table?

>Date: 11/13/04 9:35 AM Central Standard Time

>Brunswick is a little optimistic on its room sizes.  Try:

>    http://www.sfbilliards.com/faq.html

>Item number 10 has room sizes.

>Jim Eales