Talisman tips pinging sound

Talisman tips pinging sound

Post by Gnopp » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:56:27


I just installed my first Talisman Pro medium tip and it's the first time i
tried it. However, I hear this annoying pinging sound. Is this normal for a
Talisman tip or not?
 
 
 

Talisman tips pinging sound

Post by rhncu » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:39:39

  If you are using a hard ferrule such as aegis or melamine and a hard tip
you will get a pinging sound. However after installing  over 500 talismans I
can't say that I have had a problem with them at all even using the
extra-***es. Are you sure the tip was sanded flat so that there is no
air pocket or maybe one side is not glued down good?
                         Dick

--
RHN Custom Billiard Cues
Building fine custom billiard cues for
real pool players at affordablr prices.
Over 30 years experiance.
toll free # 1-866-708-7987

Quote:
> I just installed my first Talisman Pro medium tip and it's the first time
i
> tried it. However, I hear this annoying pinging sound. Is this normal for
a
> Talisman tip or not?


 
 
 

Talisman tips pinging sound

Post by sheldoncu » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:57:17

Quote:

> I just installed my first Talisman Pro medium tip and it's the first time i
> tried it. However, I hear this annoying pinging sound. Is this normal for a
> Talisman tip or not?

Most likely it is not glued down well.... I have installed hundreds of
Talismans and have had very little trouble with them. If it is harder than
what you are used to, it could make a different sound, but should not be
"annoying".

 
 
 

Talisman tips pinging sound

Post by Sherm Adamso » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 00:30:33

Probably not! If it is a hard tip you may get a ping or rock hard sound when
you hit the ball which can be annoying, but usually it's due to the fact
that there is a slight gap or pocket in the glue joint. This is where most
home tip jobs fail. I've built a special tip lathe I use to face the
ferrule, "dead nuts flat", then sand the tip the same way. The important
step follows with a clamp that squeezes out all the excess glue and holds it
until it sets completely. King Kong couldn't do this properly with out a
good clamp set up! The more glue in the joint, the more prone to failure!
Even worse is to squeeze it tight and loosen up on the grip before it sets
completely. This causes air to be sucked in to the joint, making it "a
problem waiting to happen"! Even the best glues take a minute or two to
completely set up! A minute can seem like an eternity if your exerting
maximum pressure on a tip. A good clamp is the ONLY way to get a good job!

just more hot air!

Sherm

--
Sherm Custom Billiard Cues by,
Sherman Adamson
3352 Nine Mile Rd., Cincinnati Ohio 45255
Shop (513)553-2172, Cell (513)509-9152
http://www.shermcue.com

Quote:
> I just installed my first Talisman Pro medium tip and it's the first time
i
> tried it. However, I hear this annoying pinging sound. Is this normal for
a
> Talisman tip or not?

 
 
 

Talisman tips pinging sound

Post by Texas Wille » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 01:56:28

Sherm, Is there any photos of your set up available?

Texas Willee


Quote:
> Probably not! If it is a hard tip you may get a ping or rock hard sound
when
> you hit the ball which can be annoying, but usually it's due to the fact
> that there is a slight gap or pocket in the glue joint. This is where most
> home tip jobs fail. I've built a special tip lathe I use to face the
> ferrule, "dead nuts flat", then sand the tip the same way. The important
> step follows with a clamp that squeezes out all the excess glue and holds
it
> until it sets completely. King Kong couldn't do this properly with out a
> good clamp set up! The more glue in the joint, the more prone to failure!
> Even worse is to squeeze it tight and loosen up on the grip before it sets
> completely. This causes air to be sucked in to the joint, making it "a
> problem waiting to happen"! Even the best glues take a minute or two to
> completely set up! A minute can seem like an eternity if your exerting
> maximum pressure on a tip. A good clamp is the ONLY way to get a good job!

> just more hot air!

> Sherm

> --
> Sherm Custom Billiard Cues by,
> Sherman Adamson
> 3352 Nine Mile Rd., Cincinnati Ohio 45255
> Shop (513)553-2172, Cell (513)509-9152
> http://www.shermcue.com


> > I just installed my first Talisman Pro medium tip and it's the first
time
> i
> > tried it. However, I hear this annoying pinging sound. Is this normal
for
> a
> > Talisman tip or not?

 
 
 

Talisman tips pinging sound

Post by Tony Jon » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:48:04

The pinging sound is probably due to air trapped between the tip and
ferrule as mentioned by***, Sheldon and Sherm. It can also mean that
the layers are beginning to seperate near the ferrule (take a careful
look). The main cause of this we have found is use of a tool like the
ultimate 5 in 1 for burnishing the sides of the tip. The prongs used
to do this job are not parallel and so unless the tip has been shaped
to the same taper, the tool will grip the layers at the top of the tip
much tighter than the layers at the ferrule end. A strong twist while
burnishing will then put a lot of strain on the bonded surfaces
between the layers. We recommend using a piece of leather or dollar
bill or paper towel, with a tiny bit of moisture (spit) applied with
your finger.

Email me if you need more info.

Tony.

www.talismanbilliards.com

Quote:

> Sherm, Is there any photos of your set up available?

> Texas Willee



> > Probably not! If it is a hard tip you may get a ping or rock hard sound
>  when
> > you hit the ball which can be annoying, but usually it's due to the fact
> > that there is a slight gap or pocket in the glue joint. This is where most
> > home tip jobs fail. I've built a special tip lathe I use to face the
> > ferrule, "dead nuts flat", then sand the tip the same way. The important
> > step follows with a clamp that squeezes out all the excess glue and holds
>  it
> > until it sets completely. King Kong couldn't do this properly with out a
> > good clamp set up! The more glue in the joint, the more prone to failure!
> > Even worse is to squeeze it tight and loosen up on the grip before it sets
> > completely. This causes air to be sucked in to the joint, making it "a
> > problem waiting to happen"! Even the best glues take a minute or two to
> > completely set up! A minute can seem like an eternity if your exerting
> > maximum pressure on a tip. A good clamp is the ONLY way to get a good job!

> > just more hot air!

> > Sherm

> > --
> > Sherm Custom Billiard Cues by,
> > Sherman Adamson
> > 3352 Nine Mile Rd., Cincinnati Ohio 45255
> > Shop (513)553-2172, Cell (513)509-9152
> > http://SportToday.org/


> > > I just installed my first Talisman Pro medium tip and it's the first
>  time
>  i
> > > tried it. However, I hear this annoying pinging sound. Is this normal
>  for
>  a
> > > Talisman tip or not?

 
 
 

Talisman tips pinging sound

Post by Smorgass Bor » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:11:45

 We recommend using a piece of leather or dollar bill or paper towel,
with a tiny bit of moisture (spit) applied with your finger.
Tony.

 (*<~  Thanks for the tip tip. Would you be so kind as to send me a vial
of spit.. oh, and a dollar bill.

                   NEXT,

                  Doug
 ~>*(((><  Big fish eat Little fish  ><)))*<~

 
 
 

Talisman tips pinging sound

Post by JB » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 05:32:43

Of course, it works infinitely better with hundred dollar bills.

--
John B.

Quote:

>  We recommend using a piece of leather or dollar bill or paper towel,
> with a tiny bit of moisture (spit) applied with your finger.
> Tony.

>  (*<~  Thanks for the tip tip. Would you be so kind as to send me a vial
> of spit.. oh, and a dollar bill.

>                    NEXT,

>                   Doug
>  ~>*(((><  Big fish eat Little fish  ><)))*<~

 
 
 

Talisman tips pinging sound

Post by Donald Tee » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:07:46

Yes, and you need a new one each time.

Donald


Quote:
> Of course, it works infinitely better with hundred dollar bills.

> --
> John B.


> >  We recommend using a piece of leather or dollar bill or paper towel,
> > with a tiny bit of moisture (spit) applied with your finger.
> > Tony.

> >  (*<~  Thanks for the tip tip. Would you be so kind as to send me a vial
> > of spit.. oh, and a dollar bill.

> >                    NEXT,

> >                   Doug
> >  ~>*(((><  Big fish eat Little fish  ><)))*<~