DCC tables banking short?

DCC tables banking short?

Post by Ros » Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:12:36


Lou wrote that the DCC tables he tried:
"...played wildly short (out of the corner you had to aim for the
first diamond
past the side to go three rails to the opposite corner)."

Wouldn't this indicate the table is banking LONG rather than short?
Normally you would have to hit 1 1/2 diamonds or so past the side to
bank 3-rails to the corner. For tables that bank short, the 1st rail
point is farther from the side pocket, not closer.

Ross ~ wondering if I'm missing something here

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by AntonioKin » Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:49:57

I played in the one pocket during derby city  and in total i played on about 4
or 5 table and i didnt have a problem with any of them.Maybe im just a bad
banker

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by JA » Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:05:39

AntonioKing1 posts:  "I played in the one pocket during derby city  and in
total i played on about 4 or 5 table and i didnt have a problem with any of
them.Maybe im just a bad banker."

I didn't play on any of the tables at the DCC.  However, I did hear the same
recurring theme of "tables banking short."

I was chatting with Earl Strickland after he was practicing, and he said, "The
tables bank short."  Marcus said the same thing, as did Scott Frost.  Keith
McCready said the tables banked short.  Jose Parica said the tables banked
short.  Kid Delicious said the tables banked short.  As a matter of fact, every
pool player I spoke to said the tables banked short.

Now, it could be a characteristic of the tables, just like some tables are
supposed to have bigger pockets, et cetera.  Personally, with my level of play,
I wouldn't be able to ascertain the difference of a table banking short or
long.

Keith spotted a young kid named Chuck 5 to 4 in a 6-ahead banks match for 7
C-notes.  KM notes that Kentucky is famous for its healthy share of bank pool
players.  Both Chuck and Keith were whining and moaning about how the table
banked short.  It seemed when they would "warp" the bank shot, it went in
without a hitch.  I'm not sure what "warp" is, but I'm just sharing what I
heard.

JAM

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by lfiguero » Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:14:08

Ross, you have a good point.  I felt like the tables were banking short.
IOW, one-railers I thought would go were coming off the rail at a narrower
angle than I expected.  But when I did the standard three rail test shot
I had to hit it as described to get it to work.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/

START(
%AD1C9%BL8P7%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EM7P1%FK7P1%GK7N8%HM7N8%IL7O4%JK8M6
%KJ7P7%LJ7N2%MK7Q3%NJ7Q9%OJ7M0%PC9Z9%]^6D3%^D7Z3
)END

Saturday and Sunday I played on three different tables on the right half of
the tournament room and they all played similarly.  I don't know how to
explain the three railer, but regardless, the tables played short.

Lou Figueroa
that's my story
an I'm stickin' to it


Quote:
> Lou wrote that the DCC tables he tried:
> "...played wildly short (out of the corner you had to aim for the
> first diamond
> past the side to go three rails to the opposite corner)."

> Wouldn't this indicate the table is banking LONG rather than short?
> Normally you would have to hit 1 1/2 diamonds or so past the side to
> bank 3-rails to the corner. For tables that bank short, the 1st rail
> point is farther from the side pocket, not closer.

> Ross ~ wondering if I'm missing something here

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by Smorgass Bor » Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:03:10

JAM is befuddled by:
 Both Chuck and Keith were whining and moaning about how the table
banked short. It seemed when they would "warp" the bank shot, it went in
without a hitch. I'm not sure what "warp" is, but I'm just sharing what
I heard.
JAM

  (*<~   Perhaps it means to 'shoot faster' (harder) as in 'warp speed'
on the starship Enterprise (whose five year mission is to..)

                     NEXT,  

                  Doug
 ~>*(((><  Big fish eat Little fish  ><)))*<~

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by lfiguero » Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:16:14

I rest my case.

Lou Figueroa


Quote:
> AntonioKing1 posts:  "I played in the one pocket during derby city  and in
> total i played on about 4 or 5 table and i didnt have a problem with any
of
> them.Maybe im just a bad banker."

> I didn't play on any of the tables at the DCC.  However, I did hear the
same
> recurring theme of "tables banking short."

> I was chatting with Earl Strickland after he was practicing, and he said,
"The
> tables bank short."  Marcus said the same thing, as did Scott Frost.
Keith
> McCready said the tables banked short.  Jose Parica said the tables banked
> short.  Kid Delicious said the tables banked short.  As a matter of fact,
every
> pool player I spoke to said the tables banked short.

> Now, it could be a characteristic of the tables, just like some tables are
> supposed to have bigger pockets, et cetera.  Personally, with my level of
play,
> I wouldn't be able to ascertain the difference of a table banking short or
> long.

> Keith spotted a young kid named Chuck 5 to 4 in a 6-ahead banks match for
7
> C-notes.  KM notes that Kentucky is famous for its healthy share of bank
pool
> players.  Both Chuck and Keith were whining and moaning about how the
table
> banked short.  It seemed when they would "warp" the bank shot, it went in
> without a hitch.  I'm not sure what "warp" is, but I'm just sharing what I
> heard.

> JAM

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by Patrick Johnso » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:21:31

Quote:

> I rest my case.

Jeez, let's not start the whole case thing again.

(Gluttons for punishment...)
Pat Johnson
Chicago

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by Smorgass Bor » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:29:45

JAM is befuddled by:
??Both Chuck and Keith were whining and moaning about how the table
banked short. It seemed when they would "warp" the bank shot, it went in
without a hitch. I'm not sure what "warp" is, but I'm just sharing what
I heard.
JAM

   ????(*<~ ? Perhaps it means to 'shoot faster' (harder) as
in 'warp speed' on the starship Enterprise (whose five year mission is
to..)

   OR, maybe they were 'bending the ball' in...

                  Doug
 ~>*(((><  Big fish eat Little fish  ><)))*<~

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by ratche » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:24:40

Ok , .... I'll bite , what does "bank short" and " warp " mean ????
before I quit playing 10 years ago I was great on bank shots ! Now that
I have been playing for a little over a year again using the same
techniques at different establishments I find that I can bank better one
table than another ???
Quote:
>>> Ratchet <<<  Always looking for a great excuse !! hehehehe

> Lou wrote that the DCC tables he tried:
> "...played wildly short (out of the corner you had to aim for the
> first diamond
> past the side to go three rails to the opposite corner)."

> Wouldn't this indicate the table is banking LONG rather than short?
> Normally you would have to hit 1 1/2 diamonds or so past the side to
> bank 3-rails to the corner. For tables that bank short, the 1st rail
> point is farther from the side pocket, not closer.

> Ross ~ wondering if I'm missing something here

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by Mike Pag » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:59:13

In article

Quote:

> Ross, you have a good point.  I felt like the tables were banking short.

[...]

Here's a hypothesis on the banking short phenomenon.

There's two things that change the ball path from the light-ray path.  
First, friction with the rail from coming into the rail at an angle
wants to *shorten* the bank, i.e., the rail pushes the ball sideways.  
Second, after coming off the rail, the object ball usually still has
some topspin that makes it curve in the *long* direction.  Thus, there
is at least some cancellation of these effects.

If you go to slicker cloth, the rail collision can't shorten the bank as
much, and the topspin, which takes longer to grip on the cloth, can't
widen it as much.  So there's even a tendency for even the *changes* to
cancel a bit.

Stickier cloth has the banks shortened more by the rail but also widened
more immediately coming off the rail.

This gives the normal expected variations in tables with speed, etc.

But what if...  what if the friction with the rail cloth was *different*
from the friction with the bed cloth?

If the rail friction was larger than the bed friction, the shortening
from the rail would be more pronounced than the widening off the rail,
leading to unexpected behavior.

Perhaps the new cleaning procedure slickened the bed without slickening
the rails ???

just a thought.

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by Jimbo » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:39:00

Ratchet: >what does "bank short" and " warp " mean ?

Bank Short means you hit it where you think you should and it hits the rail
before the pocket, long would mean it goes by the pocket, you need to have a
consistent bank that you know exactly how you always hit it to be able to tell,
or just be good at banks. Warp would mean hitting it so hard that spin, rails,
clothe or any other factors will not effect the results, most people bank at
warp speed to "shorten" a bank or on tables that roll off.

Jim <----Can't bank

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by ratche » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:56:30

Hey Jimbo , Thanks for the 411 !!!
Quote:
>>> Ratchet <<<

> Ratchet: >what does "bank short" and " warp " mean ?

> Bank Short means you hit it where you think you should and it hits the rail
> before the pocket, long would mean it goes by the pocket, you need to have a
> consistent bank that you know exactly how you always hit it to be able to tell,
> or just be good at banks. Warp would mean hitting it so hard that spin, rails,
> clothe or any other factors will not effect the results, most people bank at
> warp speed to "shorten" a bank or on tables that roll off.

> Jim <----Can't bank

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by NH Ste » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:36:48

Quote:

> Ross, you have a good point.  I felt like the tables were banking short.
> IOW, one-railers I thought would go were coming off the rail at a narrower
> angle than I expected.  But when I did the standard three rail test shot
> I had to hit it as described to get it to work.

> http://SportToday.org/~wei/pool/9egg/

> START(
> %AD1C9%BL8P7%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EM7P1%FK7P1%GK7N8%HM7N8%IL7O4%JK8M6
> %KJ7P7%LJ7N2%MK7Q3%NJ7Q9%OJ7M0%PC9Z9%]^6D3%^D7Z3
> )END

> Saturday and Sunday I played on three different tables on the right half of
> the tournament room and they all played similarly.  I don't know how to
> explain the three railer, but regardless, the tables played short.

> Lou Figueroa
> that's my story
> an I'm stickin' to it

My take was that on soft banks, the tables played long, but they took
english very well, and when hit with speed they could really be
shortened up.  Needless to say, I never got comfortable :)  I came up
with the theory that the cloth itself had that 'new cloth slide' that
makes soft shots slide long, but the cushion *** itself had a
tendency to really grab the balls that were hit hard enough to really
sink in -- and in that case, they played short. That's pretty much the
long and the short of it from my perspective... :)
 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by Watche » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:42:27

It means arching the ball as opposed to a straight slammed faster harder
bank shot.  Watch Fargo play and when he gets into dead punch, the balls
aren't banked they are arched.....especially on the long railers.

JAM is befuddled by:
Both Chuck and Keith were whining and moaning about how the table
banked short. It seemed when they would "warp" the bank shot, it went in
without a hitch. I'm not sure what "warp" is, but I'm just sharing what
I heard.
JAM

   (*<~ Perhaps it means to 'shoot faster' (harder) as
in 'warp speed' on the starship Enterprise (whose five year mission is
to..)

   OR, maybe they were 'bending the ball' in...

                  Doug
 ~>*(((><  Big fish eat Little fish  ><)))*<~

 
 
 

DCC tables banking short?

Post by Patrick Johnso » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:04:01

This means the ball curving wider off the rail because of follow?  That
would make sense with what Chuck and Keith were saying.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

Quote:

> It means arching the ball as opposed to a straight slammed faster harder
> bank shot.  Watch Fargo play and when he gets into dead punch, the balls
> aren't banked they are arched.....especially on the long railers.


> JAM is befuddled by:
> Both Chuck and Keith were whining and moaning about how the table
> banked short. It seemed when they would "warp" the bank shot, it went in
> without a hitch. I'm not sure what "warp" is, but I'm just sharing what
> I heard.
> JAM

>    (*<~ Perhaps it means to 'shoot faster' (harder) as
> in 'warp speed' on the starship Enterprise (whose five year mission is
> to..)

>    OR, maybe they were 'bending the ball' in...

>                   Doug
>  ~>*(((><  Big fish eat Little fish  ><)))*<~