Talisman Tip

Talisman Tip

Post by Patrick Johnso » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Finally got that newfangled Talisman tip (from Thailand?) in the mail
today.  Had it put on one of my shafts and played with it some tonight.
I can only compare it with the Moori mediums I've been using for the
past few years.  The two tips came in medium and hard, and I put the
medium on.  It's a little harder than the Moori medium was, didn't dent
with my thumbnail or mushroom at all during the short time I played with
it, but sounded and felt just about like the Moori.  I played with for
an hour or so, hitting shots of all different kinds, and it took no
getting used to.  I liked it as much as the Moori, maybe more if it
holds up better.

One possible problem:  The tip/shaft guy who put it on for me said he
lost a couple of the tip's top layers while t*** the tip down on the
lathe -- he said it was kind of "brittle" to work with, and that he
thought Hercules tips worked better.  These tips look like about eight
layers or so, and mine looked about 1/4 short, so a couple of layers
would be about right.  That could be 1/3 of the playable thickness, so I
wouldn't want that to happen every time.  I don't know how it will
shape, but I don't expect problems.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

 
 
 

Talisman Tip

Post by Ken Bou » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I just put on my Talisman "medium" this past weekend.   My observations:

1)  The medium tip I received is definitely softer than the medium Hercules.
That may suggest some inconsistency in either or both products.
2)  The layers do not look to be as compressed as I have found in the
Hercules.
3)  I really do prefer the extra step that Talisman took to shape the dome.
I don't have sophisticated machinery to grind tips, so it takes a lot of
work with the Ultimate Tip tool to get the Hercules to a dime radius.
4)  I could not get the outside edge of the tip to shine up as others have
reported.  I tried moistening and burnishing with a dollar bill several
times, but the edge remains dull.  The Hercules shined up nicely by
contrast.
5)  It is mushrooming a little, but I find that to be the case with every
tip -- so far there have been no exceptions.  I usually have to trim a
couple of times, burnish, and then they hold for the duration.
6)  This tip has not held it's shape too well and I have had to reshape it a
couple of times in one weekend of play.  Again, it may do better as it
compacts from continued play.
7)  It is noticeably shorter than the Hercules and, after shaping a couple
of times to a dime radius, it's almost to the point of needing to be
replaced!  My suggestion to Talisman is to put a backing on this product.
I'll post that suggestion to their website.
8)  The tip plays just fine.  It holds chalk very well.  I can't tell it
from a Moori or a Hercules in terms of performance.

Ken Bour


Quote:
> Finally got that newfangled Talisman tip (from Thailand?) in the mail
> today.  Had it put on one of my shafts and played with it some tonight.
> I can only compare it with the Moori mediums I've been using for the
> past few years.  The two tips came in medium and hard, and I put the
> medium on.  It's a little harder than the Moori medium was, didn't dent
> with my thumbnail or mushroom at all during the short time I played with
> it, but sounded and felt just about like the Moori.  I played with for
> an hour or so, hitting shots of all different kinds, and it took no
> getting used to.  I liked it as much as the Moori, maybe more if it
> holds up better.

> One possible problem:  The tip/shaft guy who put it on for me said he
> lost a couple of the tip's top layers while t*** the tip down on the
> lathe -- he said it was kind of "brittle" to work with, and that he
> thought Hercules tips worked better.  These tips look like about eight
> layers or so, and mine looked about 1/4 short, so a couple of layers
> would be about right.  That could be 1/3 of the playable thickness, so I
> wouldn't want that to happen every time.  I don't know how it will
> shape, but I don't expect problems.

> Pat Johnson
> Chicago


 
 
 

Talisman Tip

Post by Fred Agni » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Well, the Talisman has finally made it to the east coast.  Unfortunately, it
hasn't hit my doorstep yet :-(  What the hell is going on?  How  'bout my
other right coast cohorts?  Paul?  Jimbo?

Quote:

>I just put on my Talisman "medium" this past weekend.   My observations:

How dare you experiment with such nonsense and share your ridiculous
findings with us ;-)

Quote:
>1)  The medium tip I received is definitely softer than the medium
Hercules.
>That may suggest some inconsistency in either or both products.

Or it could be just an inconsistency in definitions?  Like, a men's medium
size is bigger than a women's medium?  Anyway, it would be nice if the tip
manufacturers would commonize hardness scales.  The Mueller's guide on tip
hardness would be a start.

Regards,

Fred Agnir

 
 
 

Talisman Tip

Post by Arnot Q. Wadsworth, II » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Ken Bour said:  I tried moistening and burnishing with a dollar bill several
times, but the edge remains dull.  This  reminds me of your  evaluation  and
report of every billiards product on the market - dull, dull, dull and you
said:

after shaping a couple of times to a dime radius, it's almost to the point
of needing to be
replaced!  My suggestion to Talisman is to put a backing on this product.
I'll post that suggestion to their website.  Maybe you do not know that to
put a backing on a tip makes the cue hit harder.  Oh but I forgot you know
more about all billiards products that the people that make them.

If you are having a problem shaping a tip, get off about 7 bucks and take it
to a professional or  if you cannot find a professional take it to a pro
shop we both know of.

--
                  Arnot Q Custom Cues
    3717 Jeanne Ave, Lake Worth, FL 33461
             Check Out My In Stock Cues

                       561 439-0441

 
 
 

Talisman Tip

Post by Paul J. Mo » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Well, the Talisman has finally made it to the east coast.  Unfortunately, it
> hasn't hit my doorstep yet :-(  What the hell is going on?  How  'bout my
> other right coast cohorts?  Paul?  Jimbo?

Fred,
        I've all but given up on ever getting those tips.  I'll let you know
if/when they do.  BTW, does anyone have the address for Pro-Produx, the
maker of that hand conditioner that was evaluated.  I remember that they
were from Florida but nothing else.   Regards........Paul
 
 
 

Talisman Tip

Post by Steve Calvi » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:


> > Well, the Talisman has finally made it to the east coast.  Unfortunately, it
> > hasn't hit my doorstep yet :-(  What the hell is going on?  How  'bout my
> > other right coast cohorts?  Paul?  Jimbo?

> Fred,
>         I've all but given up on ever getting those tips.  I'll let you know
> if/when they do.  BTW, does anyone have the address for Pro-Produx, the
> maker of that hand conditioner that was evaluated.  I remember that they
> were from Florida but nothing else.   Regards........Paul

I'm in the eastern U.S. and haven't gotten them yet either.
--
Steve
 
 
 

Talisman Tip

Post by Ken Bou » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Boy, Arnot, for someone who maintains that he couldn't give two craps about
me or what I say, you sure are spending a lot of time responding to my
posts.   It's too bad that you haven't anything useful to contribute other
than juvenile teasing.

Do you think it really benefits you, professionally, to chase me around RSB
adding your insipid and sophomoric comments to everything I write?

Ken Bour



Quote:
> Ken Bour said:  I tried moistening and burnishing with a dollar bill
several
> times, but the edge remains dull.  This  reminds me of your  evaluation
and
> report of every billiards product on the market - dull, dull, dull and you
> said:

> after shaping a couple of times to a dime radius, it's almost to the point
> of needing to be
> replaced!  My suggestion to Talisman is to put a backing on this product.
> I'll post that suggestion to their website.  Maybe you do not know that to
> put a backing on a tip makes the cue hit harder.  Oh but I forgot you know
> more about all billiards products that the people that make them.

> If you are having a problem shaping a tip, get off about 7 bucks and take
it
> to a professional or  if you cannot find a professional take it to a pro
> shop we both know of.

> --
>                   Arnot Q Custom Cues
>     3717 Jeanne Ave, Lake Worth, FL 33461
>              Check Out My In Stock Cues

>                        561 439-0441

 
 
 

Talisman Tip

Post by Arnot Q. Wadsworth, II » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Ken you are the one  who needs professional help.  What is the matter don't
you like everything you post analyzed and reported on.  Maybe you better
clean up your act and start talking about something you know about.  In that
you would have to stay quiet - huh.

Don;Don't you know people have been laughing at you for years.  Squirt
this - curve that - you sound like you are dizzy with all that moving around
in circles.  You have said everything at least 1000 times about squirt that
can be said.  Get a life!

--
                  Arnot Q Custom Cues
    3717 Jeanne Ave, Lake Worth, FL 33461
             Check Out My In Stock Cues

                       561 439-0441

 
 
 

Talisman Tip

Post by Patrick Johnso » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Did you have any trouble t*** it?  Any delamination of the top layer(s)?

Mine was definitely harder than a medium Moori, and I'd be curious to know if
this is true consistently -- also for their comparison to Hercules.  My
impression is that Mooris are consistent enough to be a good comparison, though
I don't know about Hercules.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

 
 
 

Talisman Tip

Post by jbst.. » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00



Quote:

>> Well, the Talisman has finally made it to the east coast.  Unfortunately, it
>> hasn't hit my doorstep yet :-(  What the hell is going on?  How  'bout my
>> other right coast cohorts?  Paul?  Jimbo?

I'm close to the east coast, and they haven't arrived here yet.  

Jack
--
-----------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Talisman Tip

Post by Dag Garthu » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Jumping in,

Quote:
> Did you have any trouble t*** it?  Any delamination of the top layer(s)?

Nope.

Quote:
> Mine was definitely harder than a medium Moori, and I'd be curious to know if
> this is true consistently

Same here (compared to a Moori MX).

IMO it's a decent tip.  I believe it would have been even better if it
was a little softer - less glue - more feel.

--
Dag Garthus