Help Keep R.S.D. clean

Help Keep R.S.D. clean

Post by Fran » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:08:16


If you see spam, just rename the subject with an 's'.

Thank you.

(spam does not include posts by Todd or myself :) )

 
 
 

Help Keep R.S.D. clean

Post by David Stoddar » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:01:06


Quote:
> If you see spam, just rename the subject with an 's'.

> Thank you.

> (spam does not include posts by Todd or myself :) )

How does that help keep RSD clean?  It just makes older spam topics
active.  That would seem to make RSD more cluttered, if anything.

 
 
 

Help Keep R.S.D. clean

Post by H » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:32:51


Quote:

> > If you see spam, just rename the subject with an 's'.

> > Thank you.

> > (spam does not include posts by Todd or myself :) )

> How does that help keep RSD clean? ?It just makes older spam topics
> active. ?That would seem to make RSD more cluttered, if anything.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either method of spam
combat.  Re-titling the spam posts tosomething unobtrusive makes it a
lot easier to find the active and genuine topics, but moves them to
the top of the active list.  Bumping valid topics is nice because it
moves them to the top of the active list, but is time intensive and
requires some triage, since you can't bump them all, but you need to
bump enough to make sure that all the topics being discussed make it
to the front page.

I think a good strategy is to use a situational approach.  Bump older
topics that need some daylight and bump all the active topics after
long periods of no valid posting, so, early risers on the East coast
would be good candidates for this after a long night of spam.  Then,
re-title spam during the day while people are posting actively in the
valid topics and let the re-titled spam posts find their way to the
bottom.

h

 
 
 

Help Keep R.S.D. clean

Post by wix » Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:51:19

Where can I find the active topics link?  halp!
 
 
 

Help Keep R.S.D. clean

Post by Jiff » Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:24:00


Quote:
> Where can I find the active topics link? ?halp!

This one?

http://pipes.yahoo.com/jimspipes/rsdtopics

 
 
 

Help Keep R.S.D. clean

Post by Fran » Sat, 24 Oct 2009 23:06:17


Quote:


> > > If you see spam, just rename the subject with an 's'.

> > > Thank you.

> > > (spam does not include posts by Todd or myself :) )

> > How does that help keep RSD clean? ?It just makes older spam topics
> > active. ?That would seem to make RSD more cluttered, if anything.

> There are advantages and disadvantages to either method of spam
> combat. ?Re-titling the spam posts tosomething unobtrusive makes it a
> lot easier to find the active and genuine topics, but moves them to
> the top of the active list. ?Bumping valid topics is nice because it
> moves them to the top of the active list, but is time intensive and
> requires some triage, since you can't bump them all, but you need to
> bump enough to make sure that all the topics being discussed make it
> to the front page.

> I think a good strategy is to use a situational approach. ?Bump older
> topics that need some daylight and bump all the active topics after
> long periods of no valid posting, so, early risers on the East coast
> would be good candidates for this after a long night of spam. ?Then,
> re-title spam during the day while people are posting actively in the
> valid topics and let the re-titled spam posts find their way to the
> bottom.

> h

If people flag the spam with an 's' as soon as they see it pop up in
the reader, it's not going to have an effect on the ordering of the
posts.  It just takes a little cooperation and volunteerism.
 
 
 

Help Keep R.S.D. clean

Post by brando » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 05:13:23


Quote:



> > > > If you see spam, just rename the subject with an 's'.

> > > > Thank you.

> > > > (spam does not include posts by Todd or myself :) )

> > > How does that help keep RSD clean? ?It just makes older spam topics
> > > active. ?That would seem to make RSD more cluttered, if anything.

> > There are advantages and disadvantages to either method of spam
> > combat. ?Re-titling the spam posts tosomething unobtrusive makes it a
> > lot easier to find the active and genuine topics, but moves them to
> > the top of the active list. ?Bumping valid topics is nice because it
> > moves them to the top of the active list, but is time intensive and
> > requires some triage, since you can't bump them all, but you need to
> > bump enough to make sure that all the topics being discussed make it
> > to the front page.

> > I think a good strategy is to use a situational approach. ?Bump older
> > topics that need some daylight and bump all the active topics after
> > long periods of no valid posting, so, early risers on the East coast
> > would be good candidates for this after a long night of spam. ?Then,
> > re-title spam during the day while people are posting actively in the
> > valid topics and let the re-titled spam posts find their way to the
> > bottom.

> > h

> If people flag the spam with an 's' as soon as they see it pop up in
> the reader, it's not going to have an effect on the ordering of the
> posts. ?It just takes a little cooperation and volunteerism.

I think this goes a long way to maintain the readability of the group.
I don't mind sacrificing a few seconds of my day and it looks like
others don't as well. Thanks all for putting the trash where it
belongs.
 
 
 

Help Keep R.S.D. clean

Post by ulticriti » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 21:37:20


Quote:
>?It just takes a little cooperation and volunteerism

that sounds too much like some kind of sotg/self officiation to me.
Cant we just hire an "official" to manage the site?
 
 
 

Help Keep R.S.D. clean

Post by Seppo #2 » Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:18:40

Another option is to post your topics to UltiTalk.Com.  It's 100% SPAM
Free and has a few other features you might enjoy as well.

Give it a try.

http://www.ultitalk.com

- Seppo #22

P.S.  Go Madcow!