Feedback on Live-Streaming

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by david.lione.. » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 22:29:48


UPA Membership:

I wanted to get your feedback regarding the UPA's decision to finance
the live-streaming of the finals of the UPA Championships this past
weekend.  As you can imagine, this was not an insignificant investment
by the UPA - but when I voted to support this, I assumed that this was
something our membership would really support.  I watched the finals
from my living room on Sunday and was extremely impressed with the
quality of the video and in general ecstatic by the fact that I was
watching an Ultimate game that was LIVE and not something that
occurred months ago.  My question is:  would the membership like for
me, as a board member,  to continue to vote to (financially) support
the administration in implementing these types of initiatives?
Please feel free to respond to this post, or email me at david DOT
lionetti AT upa DOT org.  My personal opinion is that this was money
very well spent (and I can only assume that by the fact that we had to
supply an additional link on Sunday to handle the load that the
membership would agree), but I want to make sure my voice on the board
continues to represent the membership, and not just my personal
opinion.

Thanks to Rob for doing such a fantastic job; I'm really proud that
our partnership with UltiVillage on this endeavour was so successful.

Thanks for reading,

David Lionetti
UPA Board of Directors, Mid-Atlantic Rep

 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by CLU » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 23:07:00

This is a great idea, and definitely something that was a long time
coming. However, I hope the UPA continues to hold UV to ever-
increasing standards. That they set this up and had the infrastructure
in place: great. That the server was completely slashdotted and no
smooth bandwidth spike plan was in place: bad. This was a great, great
idea, but if we're investing Real Money in this, high quality of
service is something we should hold both ourselves and our contractors
to (UV and otherwise).


Quote:

> UPA Membership:

> I wanted to get your feedback regarding the UPA's decision to finance
> the live-streaming of the finals of the UPA Championships this past
> weekend. ?As you can imagine, this was not an insignificant investment
> by the UPA - but when I voted to support this, I assumed that this was
> something our membership would really support. ?I watched the finals
> from my living room on Sunday and was extremely impressed with the
> quality of the video and in general ecstatic by the fact that I was
> watching an Ultimate game that was LIVE and not something that
> occurred months ago. ?My question is: ?would the membership like for
> me, as a board member, ?to continue to vote to (financially) support
> the administration in implementing these types of initiatives?
> Please feel free to respond to this post, or email me at david DOT
> lionetti AT upa DOT org. ?My personal opinion is that this was money
> very well spent (and I can only assume that by the fact that we had to
> supply an additional link on Sunday to handle the load that the
> membership would agree), but I want to make sure my voice on the board
> continues to represent the membership, and not just my personal
> opinion.

> Thanks to Rob for doing such a fantastic job; I'm really proud that
> our partnership with UltiVillage on this endeavour was so successful.

> Thanks for reading,

> David Lionetti
> UPA Board of Directors, Mid-Atlantic Rep


 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by Wagenwhee » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 23:07:09


Quote:

> UPA Membership:

> I wanted to get your feedback regarding the UPA's decision to finance
> the live-streaming of the finals of the UPA Championships this past
> weekend. ?As you can imagine, this was not an insignificant investment
> by the UPA - but when I voted to support this, I assumed that this was
> something our membership would really support. ?I watched the finals
> from my living room on Sunday and was extremely impressed with the
> quality of the video and in general ecstatic by the fact that I was
> watching an Ultimate game that was LIVE and not something that
> occurred months ago. ?My question is: ?would the membership like for
> me, as a board member, ?to continue to vote to (financially) support
> the administration in implementing these types of initiatives?
> Please feel free to respond to this post, or email me at david DOT
> lionetti AT upa DOT org. ?My personal opinion is that this was money
> very well spent (and I can only assume that by the fact that we had to
> supply an additional link on Sunday to handle the load that the
> membership would agree), but I want to make sure my voice on the board
> continues to represent the membership, and not just my personal
> opinion.

> Thanks to Rob for doing such a fantastic job; I'm really proud that
> our partnership with UltiVillage on this endeavour was so successful.

> Thanks for reading,

> David Lionetti
> UPA Board of Directors, Mid-Atlantic Rep

David,

If I were an active member, I would encourage support of these
endeavors and feel the bulk of membership would concur.

Ed Wagenseller

 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by joadnt.. » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 23:23:42


Quote:

> UPA Membership:

> I wanted to get your feedback regarding the UPA's decision to finance
> the live-streaming of the finals of the UPA Championships this past
> weekend. ?As you can imagine, this was not an insignificant investment

how "not insignificant" was it?  I mean really david, how can we say
if it was worth the cost if we are completely unaware of what the
exact cost was?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
> by the UPA - but when I voted to support this, I assumed that this was
> something our membership would really support.

you know what they say about assuming.  one question though, how does
such a "top down" investment actually help youth ultimate......which
everyone up there at upa hq's has seemed to prioritize?
--------------------------------------------------------------

 ?I watched the finals

Quote:
> from my living room on Sunday and was extremely impressed with the
> quality of the video

how "impressed" were you with the commentation and the
communicativeness and continuity of the observer system?  By the way,
as a board member, whats your stance on refs in ultimate?
----------------------------------------------------------------
My question is: ?would the membership like for

Quote:
> me, as a board member, ?to continue to vote to (financially) support
> the administration in implementing these types of initiatives?

well why not start by giving us a dollar amount.  Personally i feel
that it should be funded via pay per view.  There are some of us that
probably would rather be playin....or watching a sport that is
properly presented.  Why make those that have little to no interest in
this "top down" facilitation help foot the bill.  wouldnt that money
be more eqitably used if it were put towards facilitating more playing
opportunities for the eliminated seconalists that are one and done
after sectionals?

So, break down the costs, figure out how many paying viewers it would
take fund it and lets start this conversation over from the begining.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
> Please feel free to respond to this post, or email me at david DOT
> lionetti AT upa DOT org. ?My personal opinion is that this was money
> very well spent

well maybe that because you know how much money WAS spent.  share that
figure with the rest of us.  BUT, while we are talking about "money
well spent".  In your opinon, was the 27K that has been spent to date
on the ult rev that only got feedback from 10% of the membership
"money well spent"?........was the 8K that was allocated for the
current upa logo "money well spent"?

 (and I can only assume that by the fact that we had to

Quote:
> supply an additional link on Sunday to handle the load that the
> membership would agree), but I want to make sure my voice on the board
> continues to represent the membership, and not just my personal
> opinion.

funny that you are reaching out to rsders to gather this info.  Why
dont you guys do this with other issues as well?  And WHY didnt you
get our opinions on this expense issue prior to your original vote?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

> Thanks to Rob for doing such a fantastic job; I'm really proud that
> our partnership with UltiVillage on this endeavour was so successful.

why are we thanking rob for this so much.  Didnt he get paid for his
service?  Is it that he offers a much better price than the next guy
to do this or does everyone have the impression that hes doing it for
free?
-------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

> Thanks for reading,

> David Lionetti
> UPA Board of Directors, Mid-Atlantic Rep

david, sorry for being critical but that just how i am.  But
seriously, thanks for making the effort to reach out to the membership
via rsd.  You guys should use this media way more often to get
feedback on various issues.  Not that you are reaching the entire
membership.....but it is at least an effort.
 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by joadnt.. » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 23:28:46


Quote:
> This is a great idea, and definitely something that was a long time
> coming. However, I hope the UPA continues to hold UV to ever-
> increasing standards.

pffft, how about uv holding the upa to everincreasing
standards.......like establishing and effective and efficient
arbitration system.  Like i said......rob cant make chicken salad outa
chicken shit!!!
--------------------------------------------------

 That they set this up and had the infrastructure

Quote:
> in place: great. That the server was completely slashdotted and no
> smooth bandwidth spike plan was in place: bad. This was a great, great
> idea, but if we're investing Real Money in this, high quality of
> service is something we should hold both ourselves and our contractors
> to (UV and otherwise).

maybe such a job should be bidded out to other vidiotographers as
well.  There have got to be people in the area that could do the same
job but ma=ybe at a cheaper cost.  You know, since there are no
traveling expenses with local subcontractors.
 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by joadnt.. » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 23:43:23


Quote:

> David,

> If I were an active member, I would encourage support of these
> endeavors and feel the bulk of membership would concur.

but as a poaching non member how can we trust your assumptions.  the
real question is, would you pay money to view it like the rest of us
are?  if so, how much.  Personally, i wouldnt even pay attention.  So,
maybe funding for such facilitations needs to come from a different
source than our collective membership funds especially since the "bulk
of the membership" is currently getting shafted when it comes to how
and where our collective dues revenue is spent.

The only REAL way to get the kind of info that you are searching for,
david, is to have a manitory poll when registering for membership and
include this question.  just make sure to include the details on the
exact costs.

 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by Allen Jarvi » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 00:21:37

I agree that we should be told how much the UPA paid for this coverage
since it was our money, but I really enjoyed being able to watch the
finals, and I had a perfect stream that didn't skip or cut out. Also,
I feel that this should be funded by sponsors instead of the UPA, but
maybe the UPA could facilitate this sponsorship (isn't that kinda how
it works in professional sports? The NFL or particular teams pay for
the airtime and then get back money (or in their case, make money)
from sponsorship)? I don't know if there are companies willing to
sponsor this, but I've definitely seen an increase in Ultimate
companies willing to sponsor Ultimate events.

Joad is overly critical. This does help youth Ultimate because they
can watch the highest level of Ulitmate for free and learn from it. I
agree with him that we should be contacted more and that the Ultimate
Revolution was a failure. However, let me repeat David's thanks to
Rob. We're thanking him because he did it for us, and, regardless of
getting paid, we should thank him for doing a good job.

It's okay to be critical, Joad, but you sound like a***.

Jarvis


Quote:


> > UPA Membership:

> > I wanted to get your feedback regarding the UPA's decision to finance
> > the live-streaming of the finals of the UPA Championships this past
> > weekend. ?As you can imagine, this was not an insignificant investment

> how "not insignificant" was it? ?I mean really david, how can we say
> if it was worth the cost if we are completely unaware of what the
> exact cost was?
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

> > by the UPA - but when I voted to support this, I assumed that this was
> > something our membership would really support.

> you know what they say about assuming. ?one question though, how does
> such a "top down" investment actually help youth ultimate......which
> everyone up there at upa hq's has seemed to prioritize?
> --------------------------------------------------------------

> ??I watched the finals

> > from my living room on Sunday and was extremely impressed with the
> > quality of the video

> how "impressed" were you with the commentation and the
> communicativeness and continuity of the observer system? ?By the way,
> as a board member, whats your stance on refs in ultimate?
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> My question is: ?would the membership like for

> > me, as a board member, ?to continue to vote to (financially) support
> > the administration in implementing these types of initiatives?

> well why not start by giving us a dollar amount. ?Personally i feel
> that it should be funded via pay per view. ?There are some of us that
> probably would rather be playin....or watching a sport that is
> properly presented. ?Why make those that have little to no interest in
> this "top down" facilitation help foot the bill. ?wouldnt that money
> be more eqitably used if it were put towards facilitating more playing
> opportunities for the eliminated seconalists that are one and done
> after sectionals?

> So, break down the costs, figure out how many paying viewers it would
> take fund it and lets start this conversation over from the begining.
> -------------------------------------------------------------------

> > Please feel free to respond to this post, or email me at david DOT
> > lionetti AT upa DOT org. ?My personal opinion is that this was money
> > very well spent

> well maybe that because you know how much money WAS spent. ?share that
> figure with the rest of us. ?BUT, while we are talking about "money
> well spent". ?In your opinon, was the 27K that has been spent to date
> on the ult rev that only got feedback from 10% of the membership
> "money well spent"?........was the 8K that was allocated for the
> current upa logo "money well spent"?

> ?(and I can only assume that by the fact that we had to

> > supply an additional link on Sunday to handle the load that the
> > membership would agree), but I want to make sure my voice on the board
> > continues to represent the membership, and not just my personal
> > opinion.

> funny that you are reaching out to rsders to gather this info. ?Why
> dont you guys do this with other issues as well? ?And WHY didnt you
> get our opinions on this expense issue prior to your original vote?
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------

> > Thanks to Rob for doing such a fantastic job; I'm really proud that
> > our partnership with UltiVillage on this endeavour was so successful.

> why are we thanking rob for this so much. ?Didnt he get paid for his
> service? ?Is it that he offers a much better price than the next guy
> to do this or does everyone have the impression that hes doing it for
> free?
> -------------------------------------------------------------

> > Thanks for reading,

> > David Lionetti
> > UPA Board of Directors, Mid-Atlantic Rep

> david, sorry for being critical but that just how i am. ?But
> seriously, thanks for making the effort to reach out to the membership
> via rsd. ?You guys should use this media way more often to get
> feedback on various issues. ?Not that you are reaching the entire
> membership.....but it is at least an effort.

 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by Jay Schulki » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 00:35:26

Pro live-stream
 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by Torr » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 00:43:23

I wasn't able to catch the live stream myself because i was attending
another tournament, but i loved to live footage of worlds. If it was
anything like that, i would be happy.
 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by Wagenwhee » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 00:43:46


Quote:
> Pro live-stream

Solution.  UPA members can watch for free when they enter the last 4
digits of ss# and their UPA number on a secured feed.  Non members can
only listen to commentary and watch a scrambled screen!

Actually non-members could pay a fee to UV to watch and UV then pays a
royalty to UPA for the rights to produce.

BTW, I was thanking UV and Rob initially because I thought this was
his initiative.  I didn't know he was paid to do so.  Having said
that, I think I would still thank Rob the same way I thank god for
ESPN before I go to sleep at night.

 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by joadnt.. » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 00:53:40


Quote:
> I agree that we should be told how much the UPA paid for this coverage
> since it was our money,

this as well as other program expenses.......like the ult rev.
someone on staff should know and make public of where every penny of
membership rev is going.
----------------------------------------------------------------

 but I really enjoyed being able to watch the

Quote:
> finals, and I had a perfect stream that didn't skip or cut out. Also,
> I feel that this should be funded by sponsors instead of the UPA.

i concur 100%
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

> Joad is overly critical.

yes i am. but i have to balance out everybody else being underly
critical.
-----------------------------------------------------

 This does help youth Ultimate because they

Quote:
> can watch the highest level of Ulitmate for free and learn from it.

uhhhh, dude, seriously?  i was being totaly facecious.  I completly
support the top down approach and have been campaigning how it would
enhance the development of youth ultimate for years.
-----------------------------------------------------------

 I

Quote:
> agree with him that we should be contacted more and that the Ultimate
> Revolution was a failure.

uhm, you seem to agree with everthing i say and i'm over critical????
---------------------------------------------------------

 However, let me repeat David's thanks to

Quote:
> Rob. We're thanking him because he did it for us, and, regardless of
> getting paid, we should thank him for doing a good job.

well i dont see anyone thanking the observers?  i mean what did he
really do?  there was just one stationary camera and a few mics?  with
what we paid him we might have been able to buy our own equiptment?  I
mean, i'm really NOT trying to talk shit here but how much was
involved in the basic set up and how much does the equiptment cost?
cant we do this stuff in house and make it more cost effective?

We have a live feed surf cam in our town that surfers use to check the
waves.  Is there really anything all that different from this type of
live feed and the type rob used.....aside from the audio obviously????
----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

> It's okay to be critical, Joad, but you sound like a***.

mission accomplished
 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by daha.. » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 00:53:52

Excellent. Surreal. Commentary needs work, but have any of you ever
listened to early ABA or pre-Cosell announcing? Yikes.

Next year I am organizing a Nats viewing party with drinking games -
come on over - except you Frank, there'll be red cool-aid and black
nikes outside waiting for you. :]

 All I'd say is need higher resolution if possible so we can project
on the big screen....would I pay $20 to watch? Probably, especially if
I could split it with 20 other folks who are at the viewing....

Keep it coming Rob!

 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by joadnt.. » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 01:04:20


Quote:
> Excellent. Surreal. Commentary needs work, but have any of you ever
> listened to early ABA or pre-Cosell announcing? Yikes.

> Next year I am organizing a Nats viewing party with drinking games -
> come on over - except you Frank, there'll be red cool-aid and black
> nikes outside waiting for you. :]

> ?All I'd say is need higher resolution if possible so we can project
> on the big screen....would I pay $20 to watch? Probably, especially if
> I could split it with 20 other folks who are at the viewing....

> Keep it coming Rob!

Pro pay per view
 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by joadnt.. » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 01:15:56


Quote:
> I wasn't able to catch the live stream myself because i was attending
> another tournament, but i loved to live footage of worlds. If it was
> anything like that, i would be happy.

it was the same thing only the shot was from behind one endzone.  I
prefered the angle at worlds.  who knos how much extra it would cost
for two angles?
 
 
 

Feedback on Live-Streaming

Post by MrPi.. » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 01:19:12


Quote:

> how "not insignificant" was it? ?I mean really david, how can we say
> if it was worth the cost if we are completely unaware of what the
> exact cost was?

Good question from the Toadster, I'm interested in the outlay for this
as well.

Quote:
> you know what they say about assuming. ?one question though, how does
> such a "top down" investment actually help youth ultimate......which
> everyone up there at upa hq's has seemed to prioritize?

False dichotomy, it's possible to support two things at once.  Quit
baiting, it's unbecoming.

Quote:
> how "impressed" were you with the commentation and the
> communicativeness and continuity of the observer system? ?By the way,
> as a board member, whats your stance on refs in ultimate?

Honestly, and I say this as a long-time PTI fan, I'd rather listen to
any of the three comnentator groups I heard on Sunday, than another
game called by Tony Kornheiser.  Gah.  The amateurishness of the UV
commentary wasn't all bad - it actually sounded like real people,
rather than the inane bullshit that the pro commentators are
unfortunately so practiced at producing.

Now, if we can find a Madden or even an Al Michaels in our midst,
well, then that would be something.

Quote:
> > Thanks to Rob for doing such a fantastic job; I'm really proud that
> > our partnership with UltiVillage on this endeavour was so successful.

> why are we thanking rob for this so much. ?Didnt he get paid for his
> service?

Thanking folks for services even when you're paying for them?  It's a
grown up thing, Toadie, you wouldn't understand.  Maybe when you're
older.

     ~p