For the Safety Conscious

For the Safety Conscious

Post by Peter Shephe » Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:00:00


Hi,

Anyone got an idea of priority of protective gear beyond gloves, or of what
the most likely accidents or points of wear are in unicycling?

Peter Shepherd


tel  416-535-6707          
fax 416-535-1093

251 Concord Ave
Toronto, Ontario
M6H 2P4

 
 
 

For the Safety Conscious

Post by John P Dibb » Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I would just like to add a question about backpads. What do folk use for
protection (like for going down stairs)?
Quote:
> -----Original Message-----

> Sent:      Wednesday, September 08, 1999 10:32 AM

> Subject:   For the Safety Conscious

> Hi,

> Anyone got an idea of priority of protective gear beyond gloves, or of
> what
> the most likely accidents or points of wear are in unicycling?

> Peter Shepherd


> tel  416-535-6707          
> fax 416-535-1093

> 251 Concord Ave
> Toronto, Ontario
> M6H 2P4


 
 
 

For the Safety Conscious

Post by Peter J Bi » Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi,

> Anyone got an idea of priority of protective gear beyond gloves, or of what
> the most likely accidents or points of wear are in unicycling?

It depends what kind of skills your are practicing.  For example I would
recommend a helmet when learning to wheel walk.  You may want to add
knee and elbow pads if you are doing off road riding or high speed
gliding.  Basketball boots also offer more protection to your ankles.

Along with gloves I would place leg guards right up there.  The best
kind are the ones used by free style BMX riders which wrap completely
around the leg.  They are made of neoprene *** or some such material
with inserts.  At a pinch shin guards will do the job.  I became a big
fan of these while learning a few more dangerous mounts and riding one
footed.  If you ever get a bear claw peddle in your shin or calf you
will understand why!  Even a plastic peddle can hurt.  People tend to
either get them self in the shins or the calves.  My calves are very
nicely scarred thanks to my early exploits without safety gear.

Hope that helps,
Peter

--
******************************************************************
                    University of Waikato             61 Nevada Rd

           Unicyclist, juggler and mathematician.    (07) 856 1103
******************************************************************

 
 
 

For the Safety Conscious

Post by John Fo » Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:
> Anyone got an idea of priority of protective gear beyond
> gloves, or of what
> the most likely accidents or points of wear are in unicycling?

Though injuries I've hear of are very rare to nearly nonexistant, your
brain is the only part of your body that won't heal. So a helmet is
paramount if you're talking about protection.

But as for actual damage to places that usually get it, the hands and
knees for me are about equal. I suppose the answer to that depends on
your type of riding. I always use kneepads, gloves and a helmet on the
trail.

I haven't had much need for elbow or other pads myself, but again it
depends on your riding environment and style. If Kris Holm for
instance wore anything less than the armor he normally wears, he'd be
nuts. My volleyball kneepads were *extremely* inadequate for the
Vancouver trail environment.

Stay on top,
John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

--------------------------------------------

http://www.unicycling.com

 
 
 

For the Safety Conscious

Post by Sarah Mill » Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: Anyone got an idea of priority of protective gear beyond gloves, or of what
: the most likely accidents or points of wear are in unicycling?

Gloves
Knee pads
Hi Vis  clothing & lights (for night riding)
Water bottle or camel bac ( for hot days and long rides)
Sunscreen ( ditto)
Lid ( for pointy rocks tricky terain riding)
Anti bear bell ( for woodland riding)
Slug pellets ( I swear by them)

most likley accident is shin damage from pedals, shin pads can be worn but
look a little foolish, next most likley is skidding on slugs and suffering
an embarressing face plant in mud, followed by  getting a fly in your eye.

cheif point of wear seems to be just above and inside each knee, maybe its
the bottle cage. my shorts are wearing out too where the miayta saddle
front bumper rubs them slightly. coolmax t-shirts get smelly but are dead
comfy.

Other points to be aware of...never take sarah too seriously , unless its
about slugs.
sarah

 
 
 

For the Safety Conscious

Post by Nathan Hoove » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

A camelbak serves as a decent back pad for muni rides.  But I
admin I certainly don't usually wear it while just playing around
on stairs etc.

---Nathan



Quote:
> I would just like to add a question about backpads. What do folk use for
> protection (like for going down stairs)?

> > -----Original Message-----

> > Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 10:32 AM

> > Subject: For the Safety Conscious

> > Hi,

> > Anyone got an idea of priority of protective gear beyond gloves, or of
> > what
> > the most likely accidents or points of wear are in unicycling?

 
 
 

For the Safety Conscious

Post by Kris Ho » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Check out the ROACH brand pads that unicyclesource.com just started
carrying.  They give really good protection to the lower legs and
knees, and elbows and forearms.  Roach also makes shorts and pants with
removeable hip and tailbone pads, but I'm not sure whether
unicyclesource will carry these too.

-Kris Holm.


Quote:
> A camelbak serves as a decent back pad for muni
> rides.  But I
> admin I certainly don't usually wear it while just
> playing around
> on stairs etc.

> ---Nathan




> > I would just like to add a question about
> backpads. What do folk use for
> > protection (like for going down stairs)?

> > > -----Original Message-----

> > > Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 10:32 AM

> > > Subject: For the Safety Conscious

> > > Hi,

> > > Anyone got an idea of priority of protective
> gear beyond gloves, or of
> > > what
> > > the most likely accidents or points of wear are
> in unicycling?

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com