Wheel Pull

Wheel Pull

Post by rhyslin » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:25:41

Well, after heading home from a late night D&D session, I finaly
turned out the light at 4 am.   Watching Sophie got me up at 9 am;
soon there after, neighbordhood kids came by to play with the runt.
These kids live out in the country, mostly in shanty-style trailers.
In some ways they are lucky- they are not distracted by simulated
video game life and the like.   They demenstrated cartwheels, bending
over backword and standing on their hands- and back flips.   Wow.   My
24" United is way to tall for them to reach the pedals, but they were
all psyched to try, so I pulled the seat off the Coker, and most of
the bigger kids could at least get on.   When the money is there, I'll
buy 'em a small wheel and start teaching them how to ride.   With any
luck, I'll learn how to do a back flip.   (by the way: if anyone has
outgrown a kids uni and wants to donate it to some poor kids in
Mississippi, let me know where to send the money for shipping)
Anyway, a diaper change later, me and Sophie are at the park for
several hours.   After her mom got off work and I'd handed her over, I
thought I would be too wiped out to ride.   Some how I found a huge
resurve of energy when passing over the spill way at the resiviour- a
new overpass in mid construction was straddling a frothy chazm.   I
ended up ridding all alround the construction, including carlessly
strewn huge steal I-beams that angeled out over the river.   I REALY
wanted to ride the overpass, but all the concreate had not been
poured, and there were many 2 foot gaps I couldn't bring myself to
attempt.   Warmed up, I jumped on the Coker for a few miles of

Headed home, I passed my favorite off road place to
tresspass on public land, and had to stop.   I managed to clean the
hardest part of the ride, a seriese of heavly erroded clay climbs,
without a dismount for the first time.   As I balanced atop the last
minor hill before the assent to the top, I heard some one calling out
to me.   The police, I thought.   Turned out to be a reporter who had
seen me exit the freeway and head for the hills.   He had promptly
pulled his car off road and chaced after me.   He started screaming
when he could not keep up.   Since he was willing to muddy his loafers
to track me down, I did my duety and talked with him briefly about
MUni and supplied him with contact information if he had questions.
He took a couple pic's- I'm sure I'll look realy grungy, since I don't
shave on the week ends.   At least it might garner some positive press
for the sport- we'll see how he spins it.

Anyway, sleep deprived
and after several hours of riding,   I'm driving home and encounter
some road construction.   As I aproached a sudden rise in the road
from several layers of new asphault, I began to tense up- then gave a
pull on the trucks stearing wheel just as I cleared it.   It took me a
few moments to relized what I had just done.   How inane.

Now all
the exertion and no sleep has left me with a head ache THIS BIG.   Ok-
I'll stop babeling.

Night all,


Posted via the Unicyclist Community - http://unicyclist.com/forums